Old 21-06-2020, 10:57 PM
Space-man (Pete)

Happy for some help.

Hey guys,
My name is Pete.
I am film maker by profession so am excited to explore the film and photography opportunities available to me through a telescope.

Last night was the very first time I've set up my telescope and in fact the very first time I've ever looked through a telescope.

It was challenging.
I have a Sky Rover 72 Super ED Doublet APO
Mounted on an EQ5 Go To Mount.

This is also the first time I've ever posted any kind of message in a forum, if you can believe it.

I've recently made the dive into astronomy.
I'm completely new to it.
I am not familiar with a lot of the language that is being used in the conversations I've glanced over.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot and getting some great advice.

My number one question is some advice on what targets I should look for in the sky. I'd like to get my daughters (8, 11, 13yrs) excited about it too and would love to show them some interesting objects in the night sky.

My second question is some advice on what targets I should try photographing. I have a Canon 1DXmkii but don't know what to take pics of.
I'd be interested in trying things that are simple and easy to start with before attempting anything to complex.
Old 21-06-2020, 11:33 PM
jayconnor (Jay)

The first thing I'd be pointing that scope at is the moon. Getting your children onto that I think would be awesome f for that. Have you been able to polar align your mount yet?
Old 21-06-2020, 11:38 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Welcome to the forum Pete. Anything bright will be a good starting point and as Jay has pointed out, you can't go past the moon to begin with. It's big, bright and full of surface details that will test out your focus and exposure skills pretty quickly. It will also give you the experience of testing out what different eyepieces do and generally how to operate your telescope mount.

Last night in Melbourne there was no moon but some clear skies earlier in the night would have given you the opportunity to look at a few stars. At least you've started off with some nice equipment to make things a bit more enjoyable. So many beginners buy a cheap telescope and mount only to lose interest because it's so dam hard seeing anything encouraging through poor optics and an unstable mount, so well done on doing that.

Most of the pictures you see posted here will be within your grasp with the rig you have. You just have to learn how to set up your mount so you can utilise the GOTO functionality if you haven't already done so. I assume it came with instructions, so that will help you learn the basics.

Unless you have done a lot of film making in the dark you will be challenged by the lack of light compared to daytime photography and all the problems and frustrations associated with it. Be prepared for long exposures of objects that don't stand still, cold nights in winter and mosquitoes in summer, just to name a few. It's all good fun really and very rewarding when your endurance and perseverance prevails.

So over the coming days, if weather permits, look out for the moon as it starts waxing toward full. Your girls will be very impressed at the views of craters that appear so close. Good luck and just keep asking us questions, we're here to help and we all started out just like you, a beginner eager to learn more about this great hobby.
Old 22-06-2020, 01:06 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Hi Pete, and welcome to the forums.

Firstly what you have is a good start for viewing and imaging. It's compact, optically fast, and fairly easy to grasp technically.

There's so much to the hobby and I don't want to scare you away, so I'll try to keep it short. If it's your first time looking through a telescope then I would suggest that you continue observing for a couple of weeks before jumping into imaging.

Spend some time getting to know your scope by viewing a few targets. Also try to learn the sky a little, you can do with the kids they'll love it. If you have any questions along the way just ask and someone will be able to help.

Welcome again and enjoy!
Old 22-06-2020, 06:58 AM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Welcome to IIS Pete.

The above advice is very good. Once the COVID-19 restrictions ease I'd add attending one or two Star Parties (run by the ASV) or an Astro Camp (eg Snake Valley in early November) to your list of things to do. Attending these will give you immediate access to help and suggestions, and several ideas as to where the hobby may lead you!

All you need in Melbourne atm is some clear skies.

Paul
Old 22-06-2020, 10:55 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Pete
Welcome to IIS
Don’t hesitate to ask questions, there’s plenty of eager members to help
Enjoy your Astro journey
Martin
Old 22-06-2020, 01:23 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Hello Pete,

Warm welcome to you and your family. It feels like yesterday I was asking the same questions you are...

Your main question is easy to answer: What to look at? I have been totally satisified with the mobile app, SkySafari:
https://skysafariastronomy.com/

In fact, I spent dozens of hours looking through this app months before I had a telescope at all. You will see everything there is to see. Thanks to your grounding in film, you will soon equate visual magnitude (how bright something appears) to what you can realisitically see with your gear and conditions. You will know where it is, and how large it is.

Newly informed with this info, you can go hunting. The rest I suggest, you will work out yourself along the way. Enjoy

Best regards, Andy.