Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 23-06-2012, 01:34 PM
hotspur (Chris)

attaching D/SLR camera to refractor tubes-looking for options.

I have a D/SLR camera I attach to my Vixen refractors,via the flip mirror attachment that came with scope,its ok,but I imagine there would be better
quality pieces of hardware to do the job.This flip mirror that came with scope has thread on back I've got a canon mount attached to.I can still use eye piece to do a final line up of object.

What is a better item I could use that would be more secure?,this current one as two grub screws-So I can move the camera to any angle,but its rather a cheap looking bit between the refractor and camera-would like to look at better ideas,to try and improve my astrophotography.

Any suggestions,links or photos of others set up would be great.Thanks C
Old 23-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Chris

Have a look at the following from My Astro Shop:

Vixen Wide Photo Adapter 60mm - Canon EOS
http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...sp?id=MAS-053H

Vixen EA60 to 50.8mm Compression ring adaptor
http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...sp?id=MAS-080A

Another good looking adapter is the Baader - 4 in 1 Two inch visual back
http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...sp?id=MAS-026A

I have the Vixen ED102S which is the older 102mm F9 refractor and this offers a 60mm thread on the focuser tube.

I think that the 1st item above would probably be the most rigid whereas the 2nd and 3rd items use grub screws for a 2” fitting, although the Baader unit looks very solid and rigid.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 23-06-2012, 03:29 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Thanks Dennis-the first one of your links looks like what I was thinking off,I've got the T adaptor bit,so would be right if I got that item from Steve.

Not sure how the Baader one works,but its a fair bit more expensive-looks like it could be good,I'll ask Steve about them,but likely to get the first in link suggestions.

Thanks Chris
Old 23-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Chris

Here is another possible solution:

http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...sp?id=MAS-053A

This is a direct screw in coupling so offers the maximum rigidity as there are no grub screws. A thin collar can be screwed in or out to expose more or less of the 60mm threaded section that screws into the Vixen focuser. This allows you to screw in the DSLR, orientate it correctly and then you can screw in the collar until it jams against the face of the focuser, essentially locking it in place.

If you want to say rotate the DSLR by say 90 degrees, you back off the collar, then screw the 60mm threaded section in another ¼ turn and then re-tighten the collar.

This solution appears to add the minimum extra length to the focus train should you want to add a motorised focuser at some stage.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 23-06-2012, 06:27 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Thanks again for that suggestion Dennis-it looks and sounds like it would be a very secure way of attaching DSLR to scope.I like this one as much or more than the first item in your first post of links.

I feel somewhat uncomfortable with the flip mirror attachment with camera on,and only two grub screws.But apart from that-it may not always allow the camera to be perfectly flush with scope.
Old 23-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Chris

The Vixen Wide Adapter 60 is a solid unit. It is made up of two components.

Component A – screws into 60mm Vixen focuser on your ‘scope and is fixed.
Component B – attaches to the T Adapter for your DSLR and can rotate inside of Component A.

B mates with A via a dovetail profiled ring which is then “pulled in” by the 3 grub screws around the perimeter of A. When you slightly slacken the grub screws, B can rotate inside of A but will not fall out due to its dovetail profile. To release B from A, you have to substantially unscrew the 3 grub screws until the whole dovetail profiled ring can slide out.

I think that it’s almost as rigid as the unit in my 2nd post (msg#4) and it is much easier to adjust the angle of the DSLR by slightly backing off the 3 grub screws which allows you to rotate the dovetail ring B inside the fixed piece A.

I have one somewhere in my Vixen inventory so I’ll grab a few photos tomorrow and post them for you.

Cheers

Dennis

PS - Found a couple of old SLR photos on my hard drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Vixen Focuser SLR.jpg)
123.1 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (Vixen Focuser Wide Adapter.jpg)
83.4 KB71 views
Old 23-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Chris

You’re in luck; I’ve found a few more photos.

Here is a photo of the Baader unit with my JMI motorised focuser fitted. Note that if I did not have the JMI Moto focus in place, I would have had to use the Vixen 60mm focus extension tube to achieve focus.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Canon-40D-JMI-Baader-Prime-Focus.jpg)
74.9 KB55 views
Click for full-size image (Comparison copy.jpg)
128.0 KB70 views
Click for full-size image (DSLR-Prime-Focus.jpg)
60.5 KB51 views
Old 23-06-2012, 07:14 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Thanks Dennis.

I'll have to get the 60 mm extension tube to get focus by the look of it.

The images from archives are helpful.

cheers Chris
Old 23-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Chris

Did your Vixen 103mm refractor not come with an extension tube? I have the older Vixen ED102S F9 refractor although having thought about it more, my extension tube might have come from my even older VC200L? Its around 2.5 inches long, black anodised and just unscrews into the focuser tube.

I think that the extension tube is also for straight through viewing and you unscrew it when using a diagonal due to the increased light path from the diagonal.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 23-06-2012, 07:38 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi Chris

Did your Vixen 103mm refractor not come with an extension tube? I have the older Vixen ED102S F9 refractor although having thought about it more, my extension tube might have come from my even older VC200L? Its around 2.5 inches long, black anodised and just unscrews into the focuser tube.

I think that the extension tube is also for straight through viewing and you unscrew it when using a diagonal due to the increased light path from the diagonal.

Cheers

Dennis

No Dennis,my 103 did not come with that extension tube,I think that might have come with the VC 200's.

I'll get one from Astro optics or Astro shop,thanks for pointers.

Cheers Chris
Old 23-06-2012, 08:11 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

I had to buy that extension tube for my VC200L, so maybe it doesn't come with the scopes anymore.

I've got all of those bits that Dennis is referring to. I bought them from Astro Shop - his prices were competitive.

DT