Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 27-08-2014, 01:02 PM
snappycow (Riley)

Smile Refractor vs. Reflector & other advice

Hi,

Family wants to buy our relative (a long time astronomer) a good telescope (ball park $1200 AUD) for a significant upcoming birthday. Unfortunately we can't ask him a preference as it's a surprise. I know in the past he mentioned refractors and reflectors but honestly, I'm a complete noob with this info so was hoping to get some advice here on what to get.

He loves star gazing obviously and it would be for this purpose mainly.

Any suggestions on type of scope, brand, etc would be welcome.

EDITED to add a little more info:

1. It'd be used visually (photography nice but not necessary).

2. Relative had mentioned a few things regarding a gizmo mount?

3. Relative also referred to an 8' reflector mirror.

Note: I'm not sure if a reflector is better than a refractor?

USE: Basically a decent telescope for looking at the stars is all I know, getting a closer view than what he has with current 'scope. Solar flares, sun spots, all o' that. I realize that makes me sound incredibly lame but honestly, this isn't my field so I'm out of my element.

We were going to consider cash or a voucher but in the end he'd never purchase it himself so we're going to have to try and make our best educated guess here.

Anything's better than the old one he has now. Many TIA for everyone's help and advice. I realize I'm not providing a lot to go on but it's awkward because I ask any further questions I'll arouse suspicion.

Let me just state that his current telescope is rather old that anything of quality would probably be an improvement at this stage.

Last edited by snappycow; 29-08-2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: More info
Old 27-08-2014, 01:26 PM
casstony

Hi Riley, there are so many different types of telescope and different observers preferences there's a good chance you'll buy the wrong thing without doing some detective work, even at the risk of tipping off the recipient to the upcoming gift.

He might like a 10" or 12" Dobsonian for looking at faint nebulae and galaxies, he might like a computerized fork mounted Schmidt Cassegrain or he might prefer a computerized equatorial mount to put a refractor on and possibly do some imaging. If he wanted one of the more expensive options you could perhaps buy the mount or the telescope and he could get the other part.

If you're near an area where a club has a viewing night open to the public you might ask your relative if you could attend one with them and see what scopes they get excited about.............or just ask what they want
Old 27-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

If your relative is a long-time astronomer he or she may be an IIS member

Would the person with an upcoming significant birthday please step forward and make their wishes clear...

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 27-08-2014, 04:07 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Unfortunately I have seen this type of surprise go very wrong, unless you know specifically what they are interested in.

I would recommend to some how try and get specific detail from the friend/relative.

Or maybe organize a voucher/credit with one of the major suppliers they prefer like Bintel
Old 27-08-2014, 04:12 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issdaol View Post
Or maybe organize a voucher/credit with one of the major suppliers they prefer like Bintel
This is what I'd be doing.

Old 27-08-2014, 04:13 PM
PeterEde (Peter)
Prince Planet

what do they currently have? A few steps above that might be a good start. I just paid $1400 for my EQ3 with skywatcher ED80 and just added $250 worth of drive motors so far.
Old 27-08-2014, 04:16 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

I'd also add that long time astronomer is likely to already own and use a telescope! This is a very nice thought - but you will definitely need to get some more clues. Does he have a scope? How often does he use it? And any idea what he likes to look at? Find out how this guy indulges in his astronomy hobby and we can be more helpful!
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 27-08-2014, 04:30 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

You cannot go much wrong if you buy an ED80 on an alt/az mount. Around $800 so see you right. There is hardly a member on IIS who would knock such a rig back.
Old 27-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Dealy (Kev)
straight to the Pool Room

Yep definitely go for the gift voucher.

I've been given a number of unsuitable things by well meaning family members. A voucher instead would have been money much better spent.
Old 29-08-2014, 08:52 AM
snappycow (Riley)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocky View Post
I'd also add that long time astronomer is likely to already own and use a telescope! This is a very nice thought - but you will definitely need to get some more clues. Does he have a scope? How often does he use it? And any idea what he likes to look at? Find out how this guy indulges in his astronomy hobby and we can be more helpful!
Cheers,
Andrew.
He is a long time astronomer but his telescope is very old and outdated, he usually spends money on everything/one but himself, thus the gift. I've added a few specs below that I could glean without giving it away entirely.

What I do know (I've posted this below too):

It'd be used visually (photography nice but not necessary).
He had mentioned a few things regarding a gizmo mount? and an 8' reflector mirror.

I'm not sure if a reflector is better than a refractor but basically a decent telescope for looking at the stars is all I know. solar flares, sun spots, all o' that. I realize that makes me sound incredibly lame but honestly, this isn't my field so I'm out of my element.

We were going to consider cash or a voucher but in the end he'd never purchase it himself so we're going to have to try and make our best educated guess here.

Anything's better than the old one he has now.
Old 29-08-2014, 08:53 AM
snappycow (Riley)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
If your relative is a long-time astronomer he or she may be an IIS member

Would the person with an upcoming significant birthday please step forward and make their wishes clear...

Cheers
Steffen.
LOL I'm pretty confident she/he doesn't come on here. )
Old 29-08-2014, 08:54 AM
snappycow (Riley)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
You cannot go much wrong if you buy an ED80 on an alt/az mount. Around $800 so see you right. There is hardly a member on IIS who would knock such a rig back.

Hi there, thanks for the info. My relative had mentioned a "Gizmo" mount... not sure what that is, or in comparison to the alt/az mount you refer to?
Old 29-08-2014, 09:28 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Could he have said 'goto' mount? This is a type of mount where the telescope finds and tracks the object. Without wanting to sound age-it's, some of us older-school type astro geeks struggle a bit learning to drive the computer, so if he has not grasped the digital age with enthusiasm this could be a problem. Having said that, I suspect an 8" or 10" Schmidt-cassegrain from either Meade or celestron is just what he needs. Unfortunately, the solar viewing side of things is a bit more complicated. You can buy a filter to le you safely view the sun through one of these scopes, but a dedicated solar telescope is another can of worms entirely!
Hope this helps.
Andrew.
Old 29-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Poita (Peter)

Sneak a photo of their current gear, and we might be able to work out what would be a decent upgrade from what they have.
Old 29-08-2014, 10:22 AM
snappycow (Riley)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
Sneak a photo of their current gear, and we might be able to work out what would be a decent upgrade from what they have.
I live hours away from him so that's unfortunately not an option, alas. Sorry, not trying to make things extra difficult.
Old 29-08-2014, 10:26 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Getting this person a scope would be no more or less a surprise than taking them to a good astro retailer and letting THEM decide what is best for THEM.

I understand your intentions. But they really only know their preferences. They have the knowledge whereas you are asking very opinionated folks here ( ) to make a choice for THEM. There are just too many variables.

My suggestions : gift voucher or surprise visit to a good retailer. It will be a much more personal thing for them this way, & they will appreciate it just as much,
Old 29-08-2014, 10:27 AM
snappycow (Riley)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocky View Post
Could he have said 'goto' mount? This is a type of mount where the telescope finds and tracks the object. Without wanting to sound age-it's, some of us older-school type astro geeks struggle a bit learning to drive the computer, so if he has not grasped the digital age with enthusiasm this could be a problem. Having said that, I suspect an 8" or 10" Schmidt-cassegrain from either Meade or celestron is just what he needs. Unfortunately, the solar viewing side of things is a bit more complicated. You can buy a filter to le you safely view the sun through one of these scopes, but a dedicated solar telescope is another can of worms entirely!
Hope this helps.
Andrew.
He definitely said "gizmo" but that said, he may have been wrong too. I googled Telegizmo and saw there are some covers so I'm not sure - maybe he was referring to that.

He has a computer and tracks a lot of astronomy-related info online and is reasonably savvy; whilst not an expert I think he'd persevere as long as the scope wasn't too complicated on the digital side. I don't think a dedicated solar telescope would be necessary at this stage. I'll try and find out a little more today if I can without giving it away.
Old 29-08-2014, 02:14 PM
issdaol (Phil)

It sounds like your relative has a fair general idea what he might want based on your posts.

A non-cash voucher at a place like Bintel would mean that he has to go there and choose the scope and cannot get the cash.

So essentially the money has already been spent and you are taking him on a "surprise" trip to the shop. You can pretend you are going elsewhere or just going there to look so the surprise factor is still there and he has to leave with the scope in hand (or ordered) as he cant get the money back.

This way you achieve the surprise you want and he gets the scope that best suit's his preferences without all the guesswork or possible mistakes.

Last edited by issdaol; 29-08-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 29-08-2014, 03:48 PM
torana68 (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issdaol View Post
It sounds like your relative has a fair general idea what he might want based on your posts.

A non-cash voucher at a place like Bintel would mean that he has to go there and choose the scope and cannot get the cash.

So essentially the money has already been spent and you are taking him on a "surprise" trip to the shop. You can pretend you are going elsewhere or just going there to look so the surprise factor is still there and he has to leave with the scope in hand (or ordered) as he cant get the money back.

This way you achieve the surprise you want and he gets the scope that best suit's his preferences without all the guesswork or possible mistakes.
big +1 to this, It could go very wrong doing anything but this (and reflectors are definately "better" )
Old 29-08-2014, 04:01 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Hi,

you've mentioned:
8" reflector
gizmo (sounds like something atleast electronic)
mostly visual but perhaps some astro photography
you seem to want to make the call and buy something rather than let them decide . - I can understand this as some people's personalities will simply not allow someone to spend money on them, so sometimes you need to just buy them something. (you could always keep the receipt and exchange if the surprise 'backfires'- just check with seller)

I'd recommend a Skywatcher 8" goto dobsonian. A quick look at costs they are around $1320. These are primarily visual, but they track in alt-az which means you can video the planets, and take short deep sky photos (max 20-30 secs). They also slide down to be smaller for storage. I have a 12" and it is great. They are a good all rounder telescope offering very nice views.

Solar filters can be brought (or made with the right equipment).

Cheers,

Rusty

ps I have just done a quick search and Bintel has an Orion 8" goto dob for $1099 on special http://www.bintel.com.au/Telescopes/...oductview.aspx it is essentially the same as the skywatcher except the telescope is a solid tube rather than collapsing truss (won't make any difference except for storage). I think mechanically they are made in the same factory too.