Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 03-09-2019, 04:26 PM
JohnF (John)

Bought my big Dobson Newtonian for only $90.

Hi, I am on the train, carrying a big Reflector scope. It is around 12 inch mirror, may be a bit less -- will measure it when I get it home, hopefully tomorrow afternoon -- If bus driver will let me take it on the Bus. And its tube is around 5 foot 4 inches.

Need to make a base for it.

Mirrors may need to be redone, sadly

And it has no eyepieces with it.

Couple of disasters so far mentioned below.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:29 PM
JohnF (John)

Getting it on the train at the Last stop on Brisbane's Redcliffe line, its lens cover [if that is what it is called] fell onto the Track. Left my E-mail details with station staff and they will try to send it to Vasity Lakes station in a couple of weeks
Old 03-09-2019, 04:34 PM
JohnF (John)

The homemade spotter scope on it had an illuminated Reticular Eyepiece. So I decided to clean it and wrecked the Cross Hairs. Live and Learn.

The spotter has what appears to be a commercial head around its main lens, with a cardboard tube attached, and a cardboard adaptor for the eyepiece. It is on what appears to be a fully adjustable alluminium base attaching it to the main tube.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:36 PM
JohnF (John)

When I do work out how to put pictures on IceInSpace, I will post photos.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:58 PM
JohnF (John)

What is the cheapest was to re-silver the Mirrors ??
Old 03-09-2019, 05:13 PM
JohnF (John)

Oh And a few weeks ago I purchased an 70 mm Celestron refractor, with a diagonal at the tip shop for only $2. Missing Eyepiece. And this scope has a place where that can be mounted on it -- if I can get it aligned properly on that scope.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:25 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Congratulations John.

A base is easy to do..think lazy Susan.

Clean the mirror..but find out how to do that first..but half a drop of detergent in a big glass of Nimbin rain water is one approach ...use cotton wool very very gently...if there is a spot that does not come off just leave it..it's not a big deal... there are much more dedicated procedures but for a mirror that's on the way out my suggestion should be ok..others will correct me hopefully or offer better advice...re mirror is around $500 to $600 for a 12 inch...
The reticule you stuffed can be used as an eye piece for the scope..not ideal but you can make it work.
To upload a photo..hit advanced..the manage attachments..top left "choose file"...place your photo file there under a mega...hit upload file..after a while you will see below the file appear in blue..then hit "close" and then submit reply.

Alex
Old 03-09-2019, 06:50 PM
doppler (Rick)

There are a few DIY silvering methods that are cheap. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...rror+silvering
Rick
Old 06-09-2019, 08:34 AM
JohnF (John)

Oh, and I removed the Mirror, It is only 10 inches -- guy who sold me the Scope told me it was 12 inches, but was having doubts. Mirror is marked as #206 in Texta, Tube diameter at top is 11 13/16th inches, 11 3/8 inches inside diameter. It measures 5 foot 1 inch long. Approximate distance from main mirror to the diagonal is 49 inches, meaning it will be an F5 I guess. The mirror is 1 3/4 inch thick.

Last edited by JohnF; 09-09-2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-09-2019, 09:53 AM
JohnF (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Congratulations John.

A base is easy to do..think lazy Susan.

Clean the mirror..but find out how to do that first..but half a drop of detergent in a big glass of Nimbin rain water is one approach ...use cotton wool very very gently...if there is a spot that does not come off just leave it..it's not a big deal... there are much more dedicated procedures but for a mirror that's on the way out my suggestion should be ok..others will correct me hopefully or offer better advice...re mirror is around $500 to $600 for a 12 inch...
The reticule you stuffed can be used as an eye piece for the scope..not ideal but you can make it work.
To upload a photo..hit advanced..the manage attachments..top left "choose file"...place your photo file there under a mega...hit upload file..after a while you will see below the file appear in blue..then hit "close" and then submit reply.

Alex
Our rainwater is in a concrete tank. But thinking of doing that.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:44 AM
JohnF (John)

Have just purchased a 10 inch mirror on a mount – different mount to the one in my 10 inch Newtonian, THIS MIRROR BEING in fairly good, but not perfect condition, for only $40 on Gumtree. It is lost its coat on a couple of small spots on its edge, abut overall it is not too bad.

Not counting that it only has half a donut in the centre of the mirror – that should be enough for me to get it aligned, once I do have a Laser Collimation tool.

My existing mirror had its coating in very bad condition, but as the scope owes me under $60, I cant complain – Some people donated money towards my planned Outreach, most from strangers I met.

My secondary mirror badly needs re-coating, so still have to solve that problem. BUT, as long as I can get the 10 inch home undamaged – undamaged coating that is, I have solved one of my problems with my Telescope.

I am traveling home from Sydney to the QLD border by XPT train, hitchhiking the last 45km to my home. Do have it well padded – hope plastic shopping bag cannot stick to its Coating.

Not sure I can use that mirror mount as yet, but hopefully so, as it is very different to my Aluminium mount, and has different Screws holding it to the Tube.

She did not know the focal length – my existing one is about F5 or very close, so am hoping that this one is the same. It appears to be a different Brand of Mount and Mirror. If it fits my tube that new mount may be better – have not had a close look yet. That ten inch mirror is what I had wanted.
Old 14-10-2019, 03:43 PM
JohnF (John)

My original mirror is 10 1/4 inches. New mirror is about 9 3/4 inches. So am making adaptors. New mount will not fit into my tube.
Old 24-03-2020, 10:45 AM
JohnF (John)

This telescope is now advertised for sale, to raise money for another one. Tried to clean the secondary mirror and the coating came off.

Made a base for it at the men's shed.
Old 25-01-2021, 12:10 PM
JohnF (John)

sold it