Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2019, 04:10 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

New mount, new solutions for peripherals

Recently upgraded to a Takahashi EM-200 mount, with its VERY tall solid wood tripod. Made my usual chair and table solution for the laptop a bit inconvenient.

Was in The Green Shed today - whenever I go past, I always drop in because you NEVER know what you'll find for peanuts - I've picked up some RARE military paraphernalia and collectables there for near nix). I was looking for some old wooden pencil cases, but stumbled upon this instead.

It's I believe a portable lectern - the head swivels so that A4 or foolscap would be vertical. Extending tripod. Was not locking into height, but I could see the issue. Absolutely covered in dust, so it had been sitting unused for years.

Asked the price - he said $5. I said it's not locking height, so falls down. he said $2. I paid.

Rummaged my nuts and bolts drawer for a washer and wingnut 1/4 x 20...fixed the height issue

So, the idea is fully extended, horizontal tray, laptop on top. That way I can stand during mount alignment and focus etc and leave it (or use a barstool to sit if I want). Will likely hang a counterweight off it to stop it potentially blowing over, but I don't image in wind anyway Folds up very compactly (unlike my usual table etc) and weighs nothing.

Here it is after a hose down to get years of dust off...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_8589.jpg)
213.1 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_8590.jpg)
212.6 KB21 views
Old 12-09-2019, 06:06 PM
Wavytone

Trouble with things like that in the dark is that people like me trip over them, and whatever was on top goes flying.

For this reason I only carry an iPhone and even that is armoured, and it (and most other things) have velcro to hold them on the mount.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:07 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Looks great , a very simple workable solution for you compared to my sophisticated outdoor workstation
I got the idea from Canadian Trevor Jones from Astrobackyard
My table is an adjustable laptop table ( $20 ) advertised as a laptop table for when your sick in bed
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (713EFF99-27B6-4E2A-BE1F-E00FAA968F5A.jpeg)
143.3 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (A81E0608-D7B5-49E3-A4D9-7A5AB25C874F.jpeg)
157.9 KB23 views
Old 12-09-2019, 06:16 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Trouble with things like that in the dark is that people like me trip over them, and whatever was on top goes flying.

For this reason I only carry an iPhone and even that is armoured, and it (and most other things) have velcro to hold them on the mount.
I only ever image solo, so this is NOT an issue, EVER.

As to visual, I have a cradle I made that is attached to my tripod legs, and it even has a slot for the old 30pin cable of the iPhone 4, also in a military case...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (tripodphone.jpg)
126.1 KB19 views