Old 26-12-2011, 12:21 PM
apSion (Damien)

astromodding a 1000D...little question

I've just bought a 2nd hand 1000D and the Baader filter. Have a question though regarding the silicone sealant; not being a particularly hardware store kind of guy (but quite happy disassembling electronics), is there a particular type of sealant I need to look for? Any fellow aussies done this mod who could shed some light?
Cheers
Old 26-12-2011, 03:54 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

IMHO and FWIW...

We used RTV3145 (Dow Corning) to glue in bezel glasses on Aircraft instruments. However this is rather expensive...and you can get a cheaper alternative called Loctite 5145 that is exactly the same as the clear version of the Dow Corning RTV.

Still it's not that cheap at $27 but it's an Alkoxy cure not Acetoxy cure agent which is much better for the glass and less out-gassing.
Old 26-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Yes,The loctite from farnell is the no-risk real deal, but I just used selleys "roof and gutter" silicone sealant (non acidic), available from any hardware store. Black is probably best, but translucent worked for me.

Acidic is best for glass, but corrosive, so IMO, since yr sealing glass to a metal frame, non acidic is the go. It's not a high strength application.

I use the above silicone all the time for general electronics repair at work without any trouble. I did have some grief with the acidic version at the beginning with corrosion, so I stopped using that.
Old 26-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

if your going to modify the camera for astro use only.....you don't need to replace the filter with a Baader!!!
Removing the internal Canon colour balancing filter still leaves the front anti-alias/ dust filter which has exactly the same UV-IR cut-off as the Baader.....
I have some spectroscopic data to verify this, but few seem to be aware...
Old 26-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
if your going to modify the camera for astro use only.....you don't need to replace the filter with a Baader!!!
Removing the internal Canon colour balancing filter still leaves the front anti-alias/ dust filter which has exactly the same UV-IR cut-off as the Baader.....
I have some spectroscopic data to verify this, but few seem to be aware...
Yar, but without at least clear glass, you loose autofocus for terrestrial (with an appropriate screw on filter) don't you?. Depends on whaT yout mean by hard core "astro only" or not .
Old 26-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

No, not really....
For "family" shots it works very well and achieves acceptable focus (The difference in focus with only one filter removed is only 0.3mm)
I actually removed both filters to achieve maximum coverage (380nm through to NIR) for spectroscopy.
I can add an Astronomik MC clip in filter for normal shots ( only works with EF lenses) and retain focus for objective grating spectroscopy.
You don't need the additional UV-IR filter for astro work.
Old 26-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Well,a 40d I left glass free had not bad autofocus, but you could see the blur zoomed in, depends on how fussy you are I guess. I would've added glass now given the chance at the time.
Old 27-12-2011, 06:52 AM
leon

Since when is there two filters in front of the sensor. ???

Leon
Old 27-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

The 350D was the last single filter model....
All the newer ones have a Colour balance filter and a dust shake/ anti-alias up front.....
Old 27-12-2011, 12:06 PM
apSion (Damien)

Thanks for the replies, I'll go have a look around the local Bunnings
Interesting info about the filters but it doesn't really matter as I have the Baader here now anyway!
Cheers guys