Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-01-2024, 11:11 AM
APshooter (Grant)

Seestar in Warrambungle

Hello all! We are finalizing our trip to Australia arriving 5 15 24. We plan on doing several imaging session nights in Warrambungle NP and would like input on which campground has the best overall astrophotography opportunities. We have looked at camp Blackman and White Gum overlook online, but would love to hear which is better, or if there's a better location to setup the Seestar. My friend and I will be doing both binocular observing as well as shooting wide field images using my Seestar.
Old 30-01-2024, 09:28 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Maybe I am misunderstanding?

Arriving May 15, you are running headlong towards full moon. May 15 is first quarter, by the time you get to Coonabarrabran it will be a waxing gibbous.

The May new moon is on the 8th and the June new moon is three weeks after you arrive on June 6th.

If you can arrive 10-12 days earlier, you can catch the May new moon.

It's a long time since I camped at the Warrumbungles so I can't advise you. I recall lots of trees for shade in many campgrounds. . Many people stay at the Warrumbungles Mountain Motel. They are about 10km outside Coonabarrabran on the road to the Warrumbungles and they have a large field where people regularly set up scopes at night.

There are lots of places in Central West NSW with excellent skies especially if you have your own camping gear. There are also many farm stay cottages away from towns with excellent skies.

Cheers

Joe

Last edited by OzEclipse; 01-02-2024 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Removed references to cancelled South Pacific Star Party