Old 22-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Groove (Grant)

Fireball NW from Brisbane

Wondering if anyone on here saw the spectacular fireball on Sunday Evening 20 Nov - not sure of the exact time, but was between 7:30 - 8:30 i estimate.

There was a bright orange trail looking west from Briabane and heading from south to north at high velocity, and lasted for a good 15 seconds before a more intense bright glow (assume explosion) before it disappeared.

I was actually attending a local 'urban observers' group at the time, and those that saw it were impressed like i was!

Being new to all of this i found it pretty exciting... the highlight of the night!

Cheers
Old 23-11-2011, 05:41 AM
leon

Grant you are lucky indeed, it is not many that actually see one of those, I have only seen two in my life time.
They certainly put on a spectacular show, don't they.

Leon
Old 23-11-2011, 10:13 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post
Wondering if anyone on here saw the spectacular fireball on Sunday Evening 20 Nov - not sure of the exact time, but was between 7:30 - 8:30 i estimate.

There was a bright orange trail looking west from Briabane and heading from south to north at high velocity, and lasted for a good 15 seconds before a more intense bright glow (assume explosion) before it disappeared.

I was actually attending a local 'urban observers' group at the time, and those that saw it were impressed like i was!

Being new to all of this i found it pretty exciting... the highlight of the night!

Cheers
We are located NW of Brisbane and the Air Force at Amberley regularly use our place as a trig point in their training flight manouvers. It can be a bit startling sometimes. Is it possible you were watching something like that - a night flight of the new F18s or whatever?
Peter
Old 23-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Groove (Grant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Grant you are lucky indeed, it is not many that actually see one of those, I have only seen two in my life time.
They certainly put on a spectacular show, don't they.
Leon, I have never seen anything like this before! Was impressive!
Previously I had only observed the occasional light streak across the sky lasting but a few seconds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
We are located NW of Brisbane and the Air Force at Amberley regularly use our place as a trig point in their training flight manouvers. It can be a bit startling sometimes. Is it possible you were watching something like that - a night flight of the new F18s or whatever?
Hi Pete - yes we all love a good show by our defence services! Lucky if you get to see this on a regular basis!

But I believe this appeared to be high altitude burn up of something hitting and burning up in the atmosphere (I am by no means any expert though - lol).

The group I was with suggested that it was most likely a piece of metal space junk - as that would account for the spectacular bright orange/red glow.

Cheers
Grant
Old 23-11-2011, 11:15 AM
baman (Andrew)

Seen it from here in Bundaberg looking south.It was spectacular, it was around 8pm.That makes the 3rd one i have seen. 2 here in Bundaberg and 1 in Mackay.
Old 23-11-2011, 11:42 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Good catch guys I wish I had seen it
Just a quibble, about 99% of the population has a watch strapped to thier wrist but most never look at it when something like this happens
Cheers
Old 23-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Groove (Grant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baman View Post
Seen it from here in Bundaberg looking south.It was spectacular, it was around 8pm.That makes the 3rd one i have seen. 2 here in Bundaberg and 1 in Mackay.
Amazed that you saw it too!! Was a treat for sure.
Glad you could confirm the time as around 8pm.

Did you see the others recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Just a quibble, about 99% of the population has a watch strapped to thier wrist but most never look at it when something like this happens
Yeah Im one of the few people who doesn't even own a watch nowadays! So I didn't even think to find out the time.

As I rely on my mobile most of the time, I tend not to use it when observing due to it being so bright - as it takes eyes a little to re-adjust to darkness again... but should have made an exception for this event...

Cheers
Grant
Old 23-11-2011, 03:19 PM
steve000 (Steve)
just a bit obsessed

I missed it but I had 2 reports of people seeing it from ipswich and Clarendon near lowood area
Old 23-11-2011, 03:47 PM
baman (Andrew)

All 3 were seen over a 20 year period.I onlyseen this one as I was doing some widefield photograpghy of the southern region of sky.As luck would have I had just finished packing up my camera gear.
But a sight to remember that is for sure.
Old 23-11-2011, 08:18 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

You were lucky , I have only seen 1 , and yes they are awsome .
The best one I missed seeing was in the mid 1990's in the north island of NZ .
I was under my car working at 12am local time when this almighty BOOM ! happened , I banged my head and thought my hot water gas cylinder had exploded at my house 30 metres away , yes it was that loud!
It turned out to be an earth's atmosphere grazer the hit 100km's east of Whakatane on the east coast over the Pacific , where I was , and continued right across the centre of NZ in about only 30 seconds to New Plymouth on the west coast , over the Tasman sea torwards Australia , but then it bounced back into space ! lucky Sydney .
I will never forget the sound ! .
They say if it was a night time happening it would have been about Magnitude + 15 or more , Now that would have been spectular!
any body remember this ?
Brian.
Old 24-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Groove (Grant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baman View Post
As luck would have I had just finished packing up my camera gear.
Ain't that always the way... well at least you saw it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
The best one I missed seeing was in the mid 1990's in the north island of NZ .
I was under my car working at 12am local time when this almighty BOOM ! happened , I banged my head and thought my hot water gas cylinder had exploded at my house 30 metres away , yes it was that loud!
It turned out to be an earth's atmosphere grazer the hit 100km's east of Whakatane on the east coast over the Pacific , where I was , and continued right across the centre of NZ in about only 30 seconds to New Plymouth on the west coast , over the Tasman sea torwards Australia , but then it bounced back into space ! lucky Sydney .
I will never forget the sound ! .
They say if it was a night time happening it would have been about Magnitude + 15 or more , Now that would have been spectular!
Thats incredible...

What I saw was a lot tamer than that... there was no sound from where I was...

Cheers
Grant
Old 24-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Clancy Lane (Phil)

Hi Grant,

We were at a friends house located on 300 acres between Blackbutt and Cooyar and were outside just saying goodnight when he exclaimed "look at that!"....it was a fireball to the North East travelling mainly North to South, very high up and HUGE! Never seen anything like it before but feel extremely lucky to be in the right place at that moment to have seen such a spectacular object.

It was flaming yellow/white with (waves like the bow of a boat) at the front and hot orange at the rear with a long plume of light and after about 10 seconds or so it exploded and faded out.

Adults and children just stood there in awe watching and then burst into cheers when it had gone.

Glad some-else had the luck to see it!

Cheers,

Phil
Old 24-11-2011, 08:29 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Yes , Grant that would have been awsome at night , at that magnitude it would have been almost as bright as sun 's +23rd magnitude ! , would have damaged night vision for sure , probably doing some damage to your eyes in the process . if you happened to be looking directly at it ! .
I will google this and get back to you all . thanks for the jogging of my memory .
Brian.
Old 30-11-2011, 07:42 AM
Groove (Grant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy Lane View Post
Hi Grant,

We were at a friends house located on 300 acres between Blackbutt and Cooyar and were outside just saying goodnight when he exclaimed "look at that!"....it was a fireball to the North East travelling mainly North to South, very high up and HUGE! Never seen anything like it before but feel extremely lucky to be in the right place at that moment to have seen such a spectacular object.
Hi Clancy,

Amazing indeed. Would have looked more spectacular for you out near darker skies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
Yes , Grant that would have been awsome at night , at that magnitude it would have been almost as bright as sun 's +23rd magnitude ! , would have damaged night vision for sure , probably doing some damage to your eyes in the process . if you happened to be looking directly at it ! .
I will google this and get back to you all . thanks for the jogging of my memory.
Hi Brian,

Let us know the fruits of your google search!

Cheers
Grant
Old 13-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Reemul

Hello
Im out in Karana Downs (west brisbane) and just caught the end of it...

Not my first in the west...
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=52400
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=77066

My TV is next to a window that looks N-West towards Lake Manchester/Wivenhoe. Best of both worlds!

Len