ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-04-2014, 09:05 PM
alistairsam

Excellent work Jo.
My only concern is all that Aluminium. Cold and wet nights can throw things out of whack pretty easily.
Why not replace the Aluminium baffle with black plastic or felt you can get from spotlight or officeworks. Costs just a few dollars but is waterproof, light and isnt affected as much by temp changes.
I bought some black thin flexible folders from officeworks and cut it open and am using it as baffle.

Cheers
Alistair
Old 14-04-2014, 10:46 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

I can't believe you're making the focuser! I've built maybe a dozen scopes on a shoestring budget in years past but my homebrew focusers were two bits of PVC pipe which worked as bad as they sound lol.

Anyway good work so far. I guess this is the prototype for the 40" ?
Old 15-04-2014, 06:01 AM
nebulosity. (Jo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
Excellent work Jo.
My only concern is all that Aluminium. Cold and wet nights can throw things out of whack pretty easily.
Why not replace the Aluminium baffle with black plastic or felt you can get from spotlight or officeworks. Costs just a few dollars but is waterproof, light and isnt affected as much by temp changes.
I bought some black thin flexible folders from officeworks and cut it open and am using it as baffle.

Cheers
Alistair
Thanks Alistair,

I hadn't thought about aluminium being a problem is a cold night going to warp the scope or just move the focus? I was relying to the aluminium baffle to give some extra strength to the upper cage, but I do have some 1mm plastic sheeting that would probably be just as good and not expand as much?

Thanks for you input.

Jo
Old 15-04-2014, 06:08 AM
nebulosity. (Jo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
I can't believe you're making the focuser! I've built maybe a dozen scopes on a shoestring budget in years past but my homebrew focusers were two bits of PVC pipe which worked as bad as they sound lol.

Anyway good work so far. I guess this is the prototype for the 40" ?
I lost respect for the PVC focuser after my first attempt at making one, I did have a wooden one that worked alright once but I need something a bit more solid for imaging

40"...? Well not so sure about that, maybe if you donate the mirror?

Probably the next scope will be somewhere between 12 and 16" (depending on the funds

Jo
Old 15-04-2014, 09:21 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Jo..wow what a focuser, and the rest of the scope Terrific build. What are you using to cut the aluminium plate with? I used a jigsaw. I have a couple of old R+P focusers sitting around too....
Matt
Old 15-04-2014, 11:14 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulosity. View Post
40"...? Well not so sure about that, maybe if you donate the mirror?
I wonder if Stephen would part with some of his stash? http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...&postcount=157

Of course you would have to grind them. It takes time, but since you're already building everything else....

Start with a small one and work up. Do you already have the mirror for this scope? (sorry if I missed that in a previous post) Otherwise why not grind one?
Old 15-04-2014, 01:03 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
I wonder if Stephen would part with some of his stash? http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...&postcount=157
He would
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=117994
Old 16-04-2014, 10:45 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Simply incredible work, and from a young guy! I can just imagine what the future will hold for a capable engineer such as yourself Jo!
Old 17-04-2014, 08:09 PM
nebulosity. (Jo)

Thankyou Lewis!

I have got the secondary in, and the focuser mounted. The focuser mounting brackets I was going to build out of something other than aluminium (due to it's problems with temperature change) but only remembered that after I had made them Oh well, we will see how it go's.

I have been thinking about how to drive the focuser, originally the idea was to use the usual timing belts and pulleys but I thought that if the camera is hanging down under the focuser it would try and slide the draw tube out and the motor (if not under load) will let it happen. So that got me onto the idea of using a worm drive, which will keep the focuser continually locked unless the motor turns.

I have made a worm gear before using some threaded rod so was able to make this one this arvo pretty easily. Now I have just got to think of a way to hold the worm and motor
You may recognise the gear as once being the top part of a VCR head? Now put to better use!

Cheers
Jo
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P1440530.jpg)
89.6 KB83 views
Click for full-size image (P1440531.jpg)
122.5 KB80 views
Click for full-size image (P1440534.jpg)
188.2 KB78 views
Click for full-size image (P1440558.jpg)
81.3 KB73 views
Click for full-size image (P1440564.jpg)
97.6 KB73 views

Last edited by nebulosity.; 17-04-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 17-04-2014, 08:15 PM
nebulosity. (Jo)

Quote:

Of course you would have to grind them. It takes time, but since you're already building everything else....

Start with a small one and work up. Do you already have the mirror for this scope? (sorry if I missed that in a previous post) Otherwise why not grind one?
Super tempting Kevin , Yes I do have an old mirror for this scope but grinding one will hopefully be a project soon, I have read a lot about it and I reckon I'll jump in the deep end with a 12" or something will have to make myself a big dob.
Old 17-04-2014, 08:20 PM
nebulosity. (Jo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Jo..wow what a focuser, and the rest of the scope Terrific build. What are you using to cut the aluminium plate with? I used a jigsaw. I have a couple of old R+P focusers sitting around too....
Matt
Thanks Matthew!

Yep, I used a jigsaw for cutting the plate, works quite well. You know what you need to be doing with those focusers don't you...

... and then you'll have to nock up some scopes for them
Old 17-04-2014, 10:43 PM
alistairsam

Quote:
originally the idea was to use the usual timing belts and pulleys but I thought that if the camera is hanging down under the focuser it would try and slide the draw tube out and the motor (if not under load) will let it happen.
hi Jo

This doesnt have to be the case.
if the roller pressure on the drawtube is sufficient, it would hold the weight. Id suggest testing this.

worm is a good idea but I think the mounting hardware to hold the worm in mesh might get bulky although I won't be surprised if you come up with an elegant solution.

Have a look at Steve's excellent clutch idea for his motorized focuser.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...stepper+clutch

I think a clutch is a very useful addition to the focuser.
you'd also need to think of the motor and controller.

will it be a motor with a gearbox, if so reduction would have to be quite high to keep the output revolution rate very low to allow fine focusing.
you'd have to use pwm to control the speed of the motor but may not have much range.
you could use a modded servo that has a gearbox built in, is very small and slow enough with an external worm or timing reduction, but quite noisy.

ideal option is a stepper either with a gearbox like the mclennan ones, or a 1.8deg stepper with your own reduction. you could use 1/16 microstepping to get a fine resolution but will require a reasonably sized motor to provide sufficient torque with microstepping.
printers have steppers that are ideal. look for bipolar ones.

finally, will this controller be ascom compatible for autofocusing or simple with just forward, reverse, fast, slow.

as for the focuser mounting, I'd strongly suggest to keep the profile as low as possible. you've got the focuser on the square brackets. that adds about 10 or 12mm to the distance to the secondary. the further you push the focal point, more the chances of vignetting. you'll also need a larger secondary.
keeping the focal point closer to the secondary allows for a smaller secondary, reduces loss of light at the edges.

Is there any way you could mount the focuser base behind the square tubes? that'll keep your focal point close.

Cheers
Alistair
Old 22-04-2014, 09:11 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Geez, wish you'd made this out of copper and brass. It would just look so awesome retro and steam punked. Very impressive work BTW.
Old 22-04-2014, 09:57 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

One thing about those spider vanes, if the opposite sides are not in perfect alignment, you will end up with dual diffraction spikes, giving 8 in total!
Old 30-07-2014, 05:30 PM
nebulosity. (Jo)

I thought I might post a few pics of the scope on the mount, will have to finish it someday.

Looking forward to some imaging tonight.

Cheers
Jo
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P1460794.jpg)
210.9 KB102 views
Click for full-size image (P1460797.jpg)
200.8 KB96 views
Click for full-size image (P1460803.jpg)
126.5 KB78 views
Click for full-size image (P1460807.jpg)
125.5 KB74 views
Click for full-size image (P1460810.jpg)
80.3 KB74 views
Click for full-size image (P1460811.jpg)
196.4 KB116 views
Old 30-07-2014, 09:41 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Wow, that is an excellent piece of handy work Jo, I note you only have 3 Serrurier truss pairs, will that keep the optical elements aligned at all sky angles? and...is that you in the picture next to the scope..?

Mike
Old 31-07-2014, 04:54 AM
nebulosity. (Jo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Wow, that is an excellent piece of handy work Jo, I note you only have 3 Serrurier truss pairs, will that keep the optical elements aligned at all sky angles? and...is that you in the picture next to the scope..?

Mike
Thanks a lot Mike!

Not sure what a three truss system is like, that's why I'm giving it a go.
So far haven't noticed any flexure to give concern.

Yeah, that's me near the scope.

Cheers
Jo
Old 31-07-2014, 09:50 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

DIY at it's best !!!
One awesome piece of work there Jo, Congratulations !!
Driven Fork Mount and all !! Outstanding...

You are just plain dangerous !!
Old 31-07-2014, 10:14 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Awesome work. You're a real craftsman.
Old 31-07-2014, 10:48 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Thanks a lot Mike!

Not sure what a three truss system is like, that's why I'm giving it a go.
So far haven't noticed any flexure to give concern.

Yeah, that's me near the scope.

Cheers
Jo
Cool..you remind me of myself when I was your age, I too spent most of my time building astrogear and photographing (as it was called then) the sky..wonderous times, keep it up

Mike