Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2020, 01:33 AM
Bobbyoutback

Auctions

Hello All ,
So many items on the for sale section get no response , maybe ask price is to much , imagine if they started at a low amount & allowed the market to decide the final value .

What do you think ?

Bobby.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:02 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

No, I don't think we need an auction site on here . Most sellers ask reasonable prices for the gear they are selling and if you don't like the asking price you don't have to buy it. However there are some exceptions, of some people asking what seems to be overly ambitious amounts for second hand gear.
An example that I have personal knowledge of is a scope currently advertised for sale. I purchased the scope from these classifieds 7 years ago for approx 10% less than the current asking price. I then passed it on to a fellow club member for a bit less when I upgraded and he used the scope for a few years before an equipment change and selling said scope to the current owner 2 years ago, after being bargained down, for approx 33% less than is being asked for now. It is also listed on Ebay for 10% more than on here.
If people are happy paying asking prices for the items for sale then there is no real problem. There is a lot of gear for sale and obviously money is tight for most of us , so slow turnover rates even though there is some very desirable items available.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:25 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

No to auction. Simply send the seller an offer. If they refuse or ignore you, then shop elsewhere.

I agree some prices are nuts here (including some items I sold then the buyer resells for WAY more or think somehow it has appreciated in value) but that's the rub with a free market.

We definitely don't need auctions. On eBay, if it doesn't have a Buy it Now option, I won't bid unless it is a very hard to find item.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:30 PM
Wavytone

No to auctions. They didn't work on Astromart and won't work here. As per Lewis.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

While I have sold a few unwanted items on IIS, plus the feedback from buyers has been very positive, I've had far more success in getting a fair price on both Astromart and EBay.

Supply and demand, or some amateurs have deep pockets but short arms....hard to say really
Old 07-01-2020, 03:54 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

No to Auctions It's all about supply and demand and what the seller is willing to let go. Some do ask the earth but most are resonable
Old 07-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Bobbyoutback

Offer

How about best offer excepted instead ?

Bobby .
Old 07-01-2020, 09:56 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I use "All reasonable offers" and NO PAYPAL
Old 08-01-2020, 10:19 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyoutback View Post
How about best offer excepted instead ?

Bobby .
I am well known for selling items at reasonably prices. I have sold over 70 items in the last 2 years and only had one person back out of a sale after saying they would buy, and that was X.

OK, only a minor harm done, but I can not square the circle between that action and then wanting to have auctions.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

I have no problems with the current system; I have bought & sold plenty of gear on here..

Most people seem quite open to reasonable offers on kit; I certainly am & always welcome people to make me an offer, what's the worst that can happen.. I or someone says no thanks...

I'm always intrigued by people who say 'No Paypal'; Paypal helps me on larger purchases where I might not have the cash; I always offer to pay the associated 3% fee if I'm using a credit card as it's not fair for the seller to wear this fee for my convenience.

Also, if I list something & a knowledgeable member thinks I am asking too much, I would always welcome a PM advising me so to enable me to rethink what I am asking.

General rule of thumb on here seems to be 75% of new price for stuff you bought new & be reasonable (ie: don't try to profit) on items you purchased cheaply from the forum.. pretty simple really

Whilst things may seem a bit slow at present, one needs to remember that it is 'that time of year' where money is a bit tight for most & if the retail association is to be believed, Australians are generally hanging on to their money at present so, you'd expect the same to be reflected in sales of what basically amount to 'luxury items' on this forum.

I seen no need to change the way the forum classifieds currently operate to be honest
Old 08-01-2020, 11:33 AM
DeWynter (ILYA)

I'm more interested in better engine for classified section. You see an ad and want to buy, sending a PM but a reply is: "already sold" while there was no sign on the forum thread that someone already PM'ed to the seller. You interested - leave a message in the thread. Not a big deal, but just a good etiquette
Old 08-01-2020, 11:44 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWynter View Post
I'm more interested in better engine for classified section. You see an ad and want to buy, sending a PM but a reply is: "already sold" while there was no sign on the forum thread that someone already PM'ed to the seller. You interested - leave a message in the thread. Not a big deal, but just a good etiquette
When I received a request to buy, I mark the item as Pending. It is easy to do and as said, it is just a good etiquette. When the cash lands in my bankaccount, I am normally also quick to mark the item as sold and pass on that advice to the monitors.

My problem was more, when somebody says they are interested, but they do not commit to buying. I used to give them first preference, but now sell to the first person who wants to buy.

Re Paypal, I am slightly technically phobic. I do not have it, nor do I wish to go through the pain of acquiring it. Sorry to the 3 or 4 people who have asked to use paypal when wishing to buy items from me.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:29 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
When I received a request to buy, I mark the item as Pending. It is easy to do and as said, it is just a good etiquette. When the cash lands in my bankaccount, I am normally also quick to mark the item as sold and pass on that advice to the monitors.

My problem was more, when somebody says they are interested, but they do not commit to buying. I used to give them first preference, but now sell to the first person who wants to buy.

Re Paypal, I am slightly technically phobic. I do not have it, nor do I wish to go through the pain of acquiring it. Sorry to the 3 or 4 people who have asked to use paypal when wishing to buy items from me.
I don't have a massive issue with folk who don't use Paypal... just means I have to negotiate more carefully with wife.. (maybe not a bad thing, depending on perspective I spose...)

Agree with the etiquette of marking your ad as pending & sold... I try to do similar.. pending when offer seems solid, sold when cash in hand & then report post to have it archived... tis really not that difficult.

I also tend to put a 'PM Sent' in the thread to indicate my interest however, I'm generally of the first in with the cash is the new owner unless other agreements are reached..

Not sure there is another way the classifieds could be setup to work, just needs people to pay attention to their ad if selling.....

What bothers me most is when folk just don't respond to PM's... I recently took my LX90 down because I can't pack it up until surgeon gives me a green light to lift stuff... I'll put it back up when I can actually get it on it's way when sold..

Geesh, if your gonna try sell something then at least respond to enquiries... not a common occurrence I will admit but, annoying when it does happen...
Old 08-01-2020, 09:37 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
What bothers me most is when folk just don't respond to PM's... I recently took my LX90 down because I can't pack it up until surgeon gives me a green light to lift stuff... I'll put it back up when I can actually get it on it's way when sold..

Geesh, if your gonna try sell something then at least respond to enquiries... not a common occurrence I will admit but, annoying when it does happen...

There was a guy who wanted an ED80 I responded, he showed great interest then didnt respond to my last PM to say interested still or not, nothing, nada rather rude I think when people don't respond.
Paypal is too tricky people can receive the item and within a 21 day window request a refund for a dubious reason, meanwhile they have your goods and you have to fight the dispute process.Way too open for abuse hence it will never be used by me.

I always request a phone number of the person buying/selling in pms
Old 08-01-2020, 09:46 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
There was a guy who wanted an ED80 I responded, he showed great interest then didnt respond to my last PM to say interested still or not, nothing, nada rather rude I think when people don't respond.
Paypal is too tricky people can receive the item and within a 21 day window request a refund for a dubious reason, meanwhile they have your goods and you have to fight the dispute process.Way too open for abuse hence it will never be used by me.

I always request a phone number of the person buying/selling in pms
Hope that guy wasn't me... pretty confident it wasn't but, I'm getting older & my memory doesn't always function as well as I like.

I agree, it's just plain rude... if you aren't interested/changed your mind just be honest FFS!

I respect your feelings towards Paypal but, folk who want to rip you off can find a way... even with bank transfers believe it or not...

As I said, I just find it convenient for more expensive purchases coz I can put it on a credit card & hide it for a short period from Min. War & Finance. Delays the inevitable pain...
Old 09-01-2020, 12:47 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Hope that guy wasn't me... pretty confident it wasn't but, I'm getting older & my memory doesn't always function as well as I like.

As I said, I just find it convenient for more expensive purchases coz I can put it on a credit card & hide it for a short period from Min. War & Finance. Delays the inevitable pain...
No it wasn't you it was a zero post count type poster

I see why you like Paypal it's about self preservation lol
Old 09-01-2020, 01:16 AM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
I see why you like Paypal it's about self preservation lol
Well, sort of... it preserves me til the bill arrives...

I work on the principal of tis easier to ask forgiveness than ask for permission...