Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-01-2020, 01:05 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robair View Post
I do apologise to any Account Managers out there who are reading this, if you are offended just send me a PM, I’ll give you my address and you can send me your tiara which I will dutifully polish and return to you.
Old 18-01-2020, 01:20 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I only have a few regular jobs like feed the dogs, mow the lawn, wash the car.... so I guess I can't complain......

As for employment, I gave that up after turning 50 and haven't missed it a bit.....
Yeah, it's good being a kept man eh Matt

Wifey just got a MAJOR promotion well into 6 figures, so I'll just keep driving the drive...
Old 18-01-2020, 06:14 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I can only review a long past history...mine

What got to me in both law and real estate was that so few people are honest and reliable.

If someone said "you can take my word" I knew they would turn out to be a liar...so many would promise this or that..pretending to be honorable..yet do the opposite of decent and to themselves justify they were moral and decent. Liars or fools each are unworthy.

The lack of decency and honesty is what I found the hard part. To act honestly and give them honest service and find they were liars I found terrible.

To see folk break their word for a mere couple of thousand dollars was depressing. What miserable humans they be...

And then there was the stupidity that was the norm...from folk you could expect a high degree of rationality but finally disappointed by their reliance on fundamentally superstitious beliefs and outlooks which in the ultimate frustration they would use to justify their unjustifiable change in position and rejection of their word only days before.

And of course they could never see how they used their beliefs to justify their reversal.

And these folk would call lawyers and real estate agents evil when it was them who were devoid of any decency or morality... a pox on them.

In law I had to be their champion and so I got out of law as I would not support evil and then in real estate I had to merely stand by while they avoided practicing what they preached. But the hypocrisy I could never accept.

Now I do not have to have contact and just wonder how can folk who preach morality have no application of such in their dealings with other humans. So for me it was the lieing people who presented as rightous but we're just plain evil hypocrites..finally I got out and became a hermit and left them to their hypocritical BS.
And they don't see how terrible they are..justify anything because they are right etc. I hate hypocrites.

Alex

One example.
I listed a home for a seemingly nice couple referred to me from the local minister, one of the flock...I was not one of the flock but seemed to be honest etc so I got many of these referals...and so you think you are working with decent folk...

So we get an offer which was counter offered and etc etc but finally the price was agreed upon and all good..the vendors met the buyers ..so friendly all so nice...their kids played together whilst the vendors showed the buyers the house without me ...and all is nice and the deal is done..the formality of contracts awaited...the buyers organised a pest report, a building inspection etc...but then a buyer who looked earlier made an offer $1500 over the agreed price...guess what the great rightious couple did ... Took the second offer...no offer to the buyers that we will pay your expenses etc..just give me the highest price...but your promise???...arh there was no contract etc...ok ..so your promise is worthless..ok...if only I could say that was the exception and not the rule...the word of a rightious man is meaningless it seems...and of course they could morally justify their reversal...but one of many unfortunately..... .
It's not the lawyers or the agents that are immoral but mainly those good people who employ them.
Alex

Last edited by RB; 18-01-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Old 18-01-2020, 09:35 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Farming

Been moving temp irrigation for months even yesterday afternoon,, some of its probably floated a little today.

Not being able to do much to help others in regard also is pretty hard to look at .

Last edited by GrahamL; 18-01-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 18-01-2020, 11:50 PM
Sharp

Being rostered to work at 1600 but not actually starting until 0100. So basically being awake for 24 hours at least twice a week....
Old 19-01-2020, 12:47 AM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Management that knock back your accrued long service leave. Well just management period.
Old 19-01-2020, 01:27 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Working with Hydraulic Lime or Lime putty,
It burns yours skin, burns your eyes, rots your lungs, and destroys your clothes. When mixing I always use PPE but It always seems to get past.
Other than that working with stone is hard physically but very rewarding.

Cheers
Andy
Old 20-01-2020, 07:12 AM
leee (Thomas)

Not only did I love what I did (Bacterologist) I kinda hated to Retire. But - R.V. - Sq. Dance - Photography - Motorcycling - all beckoned me on.
My Wife helped as well. Besides, the Stars are out at night, so I can take a nap now , and stay up to see them.

Last edited by leee; 20-01-2020 at 07:15 AM. Reason: add on
Old 20-01-2020, 10:47 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Just for you I'll be more specific ....the ' smell ' of any fuel at my age makes me feel rather ill....how kids ' sniff ' this stuff to get ' high ' is beyond me.
Col.
Well I'm long past the "kid" stage, but I could happily smell burning JET A1, or burning kerosene 24/7. Even as a kid I used to love the small of the old kerosene heaters and kerosene pressure lanterns.

Cheers
John B
Old 20-01-2020, 11:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Maybe a thread of the good points.
I loved helping folk find their new home and help them move on...no one understands the joy of helping people in that time where they are vulnerable..Can't help everyone but just to help a few was good.
Alex
Old 21-01-2020, 10:13 AM
leon

Although now retired and traveling around OZ I actually loved getting out of bed at 5.30 and going to work, and even now i still get up at dawn every day. nothing better than seeing the Sun rise.

Leon
Old 21-01-2020, 12:39 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
I could happily smell burning JET A1, or burning kerosene 24/7. Even as a kid I used to love the small of the old kerosene heaters and kerosene pressure lanterns.

Cheers
John B

No way John....not for me...although I don't get ill when attending Air Shows.

Maybe because it is an ' open ' Air Show and most fumes dissipate quickly in the air.

Col...
Old 23-01-2020, 11:48 AM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Telling relatives that a loved one has died. Never easy and always sad.