Old 27-03-2017, 01:36 PM
garymck (Gary)

narrow band possibility?

hi,
due to limited time for imaging - due to clouds, would it be feasible (ie produce decent results) to do the following:

Image at bin 1 x 1 for Ha (to get detail) say for 10 mins per sub.

Then do 10 minute subs at bin 2 x 2 for S and O? rather than having to do them at 20 min subs to get a decent number of photons..... ?

cheers
Gary
Old 27-03-2017, 01:53 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

so firstly, bin 2x2 will give you 4x the amount of photons per pixel, so if you are looking to get the equivalent of 20mins 1x1, you will only need to do 5 min subs. but regardless, sure, there is no reason why you cant do that. I assume you are using your Ha as the Lum layer? that way you will get the extra detail but if not (i.e. no lum layer) you will be limited by your poorest resolution.
Old 28-03-2017, 06:49 AM
garymck (Gary)

Hi,
thanks.. Thought I'd keep the same exposure length to go deeper in S and O. I have a KAF8300 ccd (WHY9S) and unfortunately in this case binning 2x2 isn't 4x sensitivity - it's about 2.6 times.

Will give it a try and see what happens...

cheers
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnium View Post
so firstly, bin 2x2 will give you 4x the amount of photons per pixel, so if you are looking to get the equivalent of 20mins 1x1, you will only need to do 5 min subs. but regardless, sure, there is no reason why you cant do that. I assume you are using your Ha as the Lum layer? that way you will get the extra detail but if not (i.e. no lum layer) you will be limited by your poorest resolution.