Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 04-05-2018, 07:59 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Rom .... without appearing to be sarcastic .... have you anything to look forward to in life

Col....
Heaps... I have a wonderful life, (Thanks for asking ), and I will be dead before it really hits the fan.

Alas, people don't like hearing about the consequences of their actions...
Old 04-05-2018, 08:53 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

My daughter put in a passion fruit vine and noticed when the flowers appeared there were no bees around and had to pollinate the flowers with a soft artists brush.

There are now sixty fruit but it makes one think of how nice it would be to keep the bees around.

Lucky the bees are OK and not under threat and if they do die out given we have a good supply of pollinating brushes we will still have passion fruit.

So there really is nothing to worry about with the bees.

Folk have to realize to grow food you have to spray a little poison which may kill a few bees but lets face it there are plenty of bees just look at the honey in the supermarket.
And look at the jobs and investment in insecticides and then you get these greenies making waves and making the stock market jittery...that is worse than treason...look at where workers have their super invested. ..when you cause problems for the share market you are attacking the investments of millions of workers.

And shielding all these broken nuclear plants is good for construction jobs ... why dont folk look at the bright side.

And nuclear power will save the planet from warming and it is very cheap and we have a good supply of the raw materials so think of the jobs and the investment.
And with more beef being grown in feed lots really that will head off problems with the polution side because all the cattle are in the one place so less transport less fuel less pollution but more jobs and investment.
And think of those supply cattle food...more jobs and investment. An all the methan is in one place so it causes less problems.

And certainly there is a problem with the crill...too many birds and fish (that we cant eat) eating it...save the crill for the tuna.
And look at all those whales eat..I mean it was tolerable when we needed whale oil for lamps but now we dont need them and really what benefit are they except to a few tourist groups whale watching. Not that many jobs to protect.
There are too many short sighted people who fail to see how resourse consuming wild animals can inhibit turning usless bush into farmland for humans...
So long as we make jobs and investment a priority nothing bad will happen to the environment.

Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 04-05-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:26 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Old 04-05-2018, 09:44 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Yes ^

I would've added the same sort of image but, plus firebreathing type GIF, but we don't seem to have one.

Best
JA
Old 04-05-2018, 10:55 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Before anyone wastes time seeking a cartoon to express their feelings let me say I was attempting Satire...I would not suggest we actually get rid of the whales but merely to farm them and bring back oil lamps in an effort to save the planet.
Think of the jobs and investment.
Alex
Old 04-05-2018, 11:51 AM
75BC (Brendon)
Always in the dark.

The thing I love about astronomy is how it put’s myself, and humanity as a whole into perspective.

We are relatively microscopic. That has always made me think if we could look at our planet as though it was a small creature. A living thing, which in a way it is. We would consider our species as a parasitic infection of the kind that reproduces uncontrolled and eventually overwhelms the host.

The other thought I have relates to science fiction stories of the War of the Worlds kind where humans are rounded up and treated as a food or energy source. It would be terrifying if it were to happen. But isn’t that how we as Humans treat every other life form on Earth. As though we own it.

I believe Human Beings to be an extremely arrogant and ignorant species. The ‘We can fix anything’ attitude. But we tend to stuff a lot of things up to put it simply. That’s what is going to get us in trouble, and has caused us trouble in the past.

I’ am a Human Being by the way.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:52 PM
raymo

100% agree.
raymo
Old 04-05-2018, 12:54 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Before anyone wastes time seeking a cartoon to express their feelings let me say I was attempting Satire...I would not suggest we actually get rid of the whales but merely to farm them and bring back oil lamps in an effort to save the planet.
Alex
Alex, You are a lout .... but since you mentioned whales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnxChnDP6os
Old 04-05-2018, 12:57 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Quote:
We would consider our species as a parasitic infection
I have always thought that our cities were the equivalent of skin cancers
and the roads and rail etc were arteries we build to feed em.
Cars and trains are the red blood cells and humans are the virus being transported.
At least thats what an alien doctor would diagnose,
Old 04-05-2018, 01:14 PM
JA

Quote:
Alex
Hi Alex,

Yes I got the satire , my comment was about such threads in general, not your post (although I made my response directly below it). My comment was based around most of the Global Warming / Climate change threads I've been involved in here and elsewhere. They always seem to have,acquire or develop that certain stick poking or prodding element as per the posted GIF, but, I just couldn't find the firebreathing GIF as a pictorial response, sometimes the result

Best
JA
Old 04-05-2018, 01:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
Alex, You are a lout .... but since you mentioned whales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnxChnDP6os
Thanks for the video Rom and although i enjoyed it all I can say is that is greenie propaganda that threatens jobs and investment.

I was researching aqua culture when thinking of building a fish farm...interestingly there are various level of intensity.

Level one simply involves fertilizing the ground above the dam ( the catchement area) which sees small life generate and the fish are the final beneficiaries.
I never thought of putting a whale in the dam but that could work.
All their splashing would be great to get oxygen into the water.
And if you got the right sort of whale it would not eat the fish.
I can see a business opportunity to supply whale food to fish farmers.
Alex
Old 04-05-2018, 01:54 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Thanks for the video Rom and although i enjoyed it all I can say is that is greenie propaganda that threatens jobs and investment.

I was researching aqua culture when thinking of building a fish farm...interestingly there are various level of intensity.

Level one simply involves fertilizing the ground above the dam ( the catchement area) which sees small life generate and the fish are the final beneficiaries.
I never thought of putting a whale in the dam but that could work.
All their splashing would be great to get oxygen into the water.
And if you got the right sort of whale it would not eat the fish.
I can see a business opportunity to supply whale food to fish farmers.
Alex
You could log and burn the catchment above the dam as well. All that fine silt would block out the sunlight and keep the fish cool... and the ash would stop carbon going atmospheric as well... win:win!
Old 04-05-2018, 01:55 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Alex,

Yes I got the satire , my comment was about such threads in general, not your post (although I made my response directly below it). My comment was based around most of the Global Warming / Climate change threads I've been involved in here and elsewhere. They always seem to have,acquire or develop that certain stick poking or prodding element as per the posted GIF, but, I just couldn't find the firebreathing GIF as a pictorial response, sometimes the result

Best
JA
I am happy that you understood my attempted satire and now understand what I did not before your post.

I see humanity parralleling a finely tunned motor already reving at red line and the revs increasing...it will throw a piston any time soon.
Alex
Old 04-05-2018, 02:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
You could log and burn the catchment above the dam as well. All that fine silt would block out the sunlight and keep the fish cool... and the ash would stop carbon going atmospheric as well... win:win!
Reminds me..I had three iron barks around the dam near the house that I decided to cut fown.

In the bush one holds a certain pride in being able to drop a tree where you predict.

First one would miss the dams..opps how did that happen?
It is not easy cutting up a tree in the dam. But the second and third all fell in the dam..its was like they were attracted to the water.

I am so happy I never started the fish farm...imagine you get it working sucessfully and you get to clean a couple of ton of fish each week...like so many good things to do in retirement it was stupid.

These folk who retire and buy a motel...what were they thinking????

Building up a farm means if it works out you work twenty four seven to get a negative return on your investment...seems like a good idea..its not.

Alex
Old 04-05-2018, 03:16 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Reminds me..I had three iron barks around the dam near the house that I decided to cut fown.

In the bush one holds a certain pride in being able to drop a tree where you predict.
Reminded me of a dam incident I had Alex.

I once had a neighbour some years back who found out I was into protecting forest, so he got out his bulldozer, and started knocking down all the trees up slope of his property. When i asked him why he said, "no money in trees". He then dug a dam at the bottom of the hill... took him a week.

That was in Summer

Along comes Winter and the dam was full of mud by the second decent downpour... and he spent most of Winter trying to control erosion blowouts all over the joint.... Never spoke to him again, never got water in the dam and the trees are growing back...
Old 04-05-2018, 03:42 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It amazes me how many folk building dams dont have a clue.
First they think running the machine over the dam walls compacts the soil or clay as it should be...no you need a sheeps foot compactor or similar...fail number one...but the worst is they dig a dam an it leaks cause they have not made sure there is a good barrier between what they dig down to ( usually rocks determine the bottom) and the water...clay is necessary.
And some of these characters think they onow it all...I read one book on the subject which compared to them makes me the expert.
They built a dam at the fire shed..a good thing...but it leaked and would they listen to a city slicker or take notice of those fancy books written by a book learning engineer...of course not...so the fire shed has a dam which does not hold water.☺
Alex
Old 04-05-2018, 03:46 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
R...he got out his bulldozer, and started knocking down all the trees up slope of his property. When i asked him why he said, "no money in trees". He then dug a dam at the bottom of the hill...

...Along comes Winter and the dam was full of mud by the second decent downpour... and he spent most of Winter trying to control erosion blowouts all over the joint.... Never spoke to him again, never got water in the dam and the trees are growing back...
Sounds like nature outsmarted the human's "engineering" - All in 1/2 a revolution of the sun.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:48 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Quote:
outsmarted the human's "engineering"
I would classify that dam builder more as a "home handyman" :-)
Old 04-05-2018, 05:00 PM
E23 (Andras)

Quote:
Let me see... It would have been much better to accumulate megatons of nuclear waste with an "extended" half life and proliferate nuclear weapons.... not to mention add a few dozen more 3 mile islands, Fukushimas and Chernobyls... I guess. I believe the European Union just spent how many billions replacing the tomb at Chernobyl for a hundred years? http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2017...e-in-the-world

You are blowing smoke bubbles at "greenies" the same way everyone with a vested interest in perpetuating the status quo does.

I believe the U.K went coal free for 3 days a week or so ago... still burning gas of course, but its a bit better than a 100,000 year commitment to a waste dump, I guess...

Engineers don't like "greenies" because they make engineers feel inadequate... From what I gather, the dastardly "greens" have been trying to protect our common environment since the 1960's The wankers have been on the Man V Nature kick for generations. Check out this 10 minute clip on DDT; the arrogance of the chemist is breath taking, and that was what, 60 odd years ago...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipbc-6IvMQI

So, you asked what my solution would be...

As I said, to late, we are screwed. Even if you pulled the plug today, shut down human industrial carbon emissions entirely and ditched the farmed meat chain, simple inertia will keep the process going for centuries... and that's just ONE of our engineered issues.

Here is another! There is so much crap in the oceans now, they'll be dead in a decade or so as the micro plastics wipe out the base of the marine food chain... and thats not even addressing warming or acidification, the later would continue even with a sulphur aerosol turning the sky the colour of piss...

If you want even a faint chance of avoiding the worst of it, start by killing at least 5 or 6 billion humans... nah, don't bother, nature is about to do it for us...

Nice solution Rom. Pol Pot would have been proud of you. Does it mean that you are not on my team to save the planet. I do hope you are not a total nihilist?

Andras
Old 04-05-2018, 05:04 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
I would classify that dam builder more as a "home handyman" :-)
Eh, takes all types. I think he cleared the slope, just to be a "pointy object". Only an idiot clears a 30 degree incline. Anyhow, I think maybe he learned a valuable lesson by trying to be a smart arsenal.

Off topic! THE END IS NIGH... don't bother running, there's no planet B !