Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Mamba (David)

Sirius Optics

I spent a couple of days on the phone and the net trying to buy a small counterweight to suit an 18mm c/w shaft, various results from out of stock to never heard of an 18mm shaft.
Resigned to the fact that I was not going to get what I really wanted I called Sirius Optics to order a Skywatcher c/w with a 20mm bore but in passing mentioned to Ashley that I had been looking for an 18mm bore but would learn to live with the larger size.
The c/w arrived today with a sleeve fitted to provide the required 18mm, at no time had I requested or suggested a sleeve. There was no charge involved.
It gets better, I had overpaid on my card by $5, instead of issuing a credit note which always end up getting binned there was a $5 note pinned to the invoice.
The good service provided by Sirius Optics deserves highlighting.
Mamba
Old 02-05-2018, 02:02 PM
glend (Glen)

I recently ordered some gear for my SKywatcher AZ- GTI mount (wedge, counter weight kit etc) and Sirius got it to me (at Lake Mac) within two days. Ashely was a big help.

It is important to note that they are open and trading on Saturday and Sunday (after 11am). So if you need something they are there. In fact I think they do pretty well be trading on the weekend from what Ashley had to say about selling out of certain things that were mentioned here on IIS.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:42 PM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Hi Mamba,
The bore reducer is a good idea, can you please post a pic?
Old 02-05-2018, 03:35 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

All the EQ6/HEQ5 counterweights come with the sleeve - the AZ-EQ6 uses a 20mm shaft, whereas the HEQ5 (or the NEQ6 - can't remember which!) uses the 18mm shaft, so has the small insert nylon spacer.

Just remove or install the plug as necessary.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:35 PM
Mamba (David)

Bore reducer

As supplied by Sirius Optics
Mamba
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (6F8371B7-D85C-49AF-B1C8-F9FAE2DF9F97.jpg)
163.5 KB88 views
Old 02-05-2018, 03:40 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Yes, that's the as-supplied SW insert. I have a few spares somewhere here after removing them for an AZ-EQ6.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:15 PM
asrux (Australia)

I can confirm that we did in fact supply these spacers, i designed them over the weekend in autodesk fusion 360, printed them on one of our 3d printers in black abs and shipped them with the counterweights.

We can now make spacers of any diameter down to any other diameter. It's just a coincidence that it matches the spacers supplied by skywatcher for the EQ6 counterweights.

It was actually pretty simple to design. Just a single sketch with the diameters required.

Ashley
Sirius Optics
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Collet.jpg)
100.0 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (Collet_sketch.png)
116.3 KB53 views
Old 02-05-2018, 06:14 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I was up in Qld last month and took the time to pop into Sirius Optics. Lovely people, had a very enjoyable chat. Spent some money also, but I was impressed.

Malcolm
Old 03-05-2018, 01:36 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

The iOptron counterweights are quite cheap compared to many others. Under $100 for a 5kg counterweight and they come with a 28mm bore.

I machined a similar sleeve from $3 worth of solid bar for my 18mm Takahashi mount in preference to buying a $250 Takahashi counterweight.

If Sirius can print these sleeves, then this is a good option combined with the iOptron counterweights that with their large bore can be adapted to most other common diameters.

Good one Ashley!

Joe
Old 03-05-2018, 01:53 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Has Skywatcher discontinued making and supplying the sleeves with their counterweights? Seems odd if they have.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:33 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

I got my ZWO 1600 pro mono from Sirius/Ashley right at the end of 2017 - was totally happy with the outstanding customer service, helpfulness and friendliness. Highly recommended. Enjoyed having a good gasbag too!
Old 06-05-2018, 01:05 AM
raymo

I bought my HEQ5 nearly 11 yrs ago, and it didn't have or need any sleeves.
raymo
Old 09-05-2018, 11:06 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Has Skywatcher discontinued making and supplying the sleeves with their counterweights? Seems odd if they have.
No idea... however the dec shaft on my AZEQ6 is larger than their other most mounts and if buying extra counterweights you do have to make sure they fit- the ones for the NEQ6 and EQ6R do not.

Another example where some standardisation - and sleeeves to suit - would surely be beneficial to solve what is a fundamentally simple problem - 1 shaft and a hole in a lump of metal. But if the two don’t fit it’s a total pain in the ass for anyone without access to a machine shop.

Make counterweights as 1kg, 2kg, 5kg and 10kg. The 1 and 2 kg to have 13mm holes, 5 and 10 kg have 40mm holes. Make sleeves for 13/12 mm, 20/13 and 40/20mm. Then there’s a solution for everyone.

2, 5 and 10kg counterweights should be made as a sealed lead acid or gel battery instead of a dumb lump of metal.

Last edited by Wavytone; 09-05-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:19 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

iOptron DOES - or used to - make a battery counterweight. Clever idea.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:35 PM
jimmyh1555 (James)
jimmyh1555

Why do you need a sleeve? I lost one on my CG-4 and just screwed the lock screw in a bit more
Old 22-05-2018, 05:33 PM
Capella_Ben (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrux View Post
I can confirm that we did in fact supply these spacers, i designed them over the weekend in autodesk fusion 360, printed them on one of our 3d printers in black abs and shipped them with the counterweights.

We can now make spacers of any diameter down to any other diameter. It's just a coincidence that it matches the spacers supplied by skywatcher for the EQ6 counterweights.

It was actually pretty simple to design. Just a single sketch with the diameters required.

Ashley
Sirius Optics

3D printing to the rescue!

Good to see you use Fusion 360 as well. Great product!

3D design and printing is fantastic for astronomy (or any other hobby really). I could not survive without it.