Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-01-2019, 10:57 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Seeds planted on the moon

Just watched Chanel Seven latest News.
What clowns,the announcer Micheal Usher said the Chinese had planted
seeds on the moon.
Even when a scientist explained that they were grown in a canister he still insisted on referring to growing plants on the moon. as if they were planted in the Moons Regolith even though the growing plants were shown in their canister which is still inside the Moon lander.
The ISS has been growing plants in space since it's inception so really nothing new only that the spacecraft is on solid ground.
Old 16-01-2019, 11:11 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

We stopped watching TV going on 11 years ago now. Main stream media is so propagandised and usually plain wrong on everything.
Old 16-01-2019, 11:36 PM
Stonius (Markus)

I guess it's interesting because it's the first time plants have been grown in 17% gravity rather than complete weightlessness. I guess it's valid because it may shed some light on how sensitively plants determine 'up'.

But Mark Watson it aint.

M

Last edited by Stonius; 16-01-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 16-01-2019, 11:47 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
I guess it's interesting because it's the first time plans have been planted in 17% gravity rather than complete weightlessness. I guess it's valid because it may shed some light on how sensitively plants determine 'up'.

But Mark Watson it aint.

M
My point is that it was intimated that the seeds had been planted in "Lunar Soil,not in a sealed canister on a spacecraft that had just landed on the moon.
I would hazard a guess that the person who wrote Ushers script would even know the amount of gravity on the moon
Old 16-01-2019, 11:56 PM
Stonius (Markus)

I'm agreeing with you - it's misleading, even if the experiment itself does have some merit.

It would be more interesting if they'd scooped up some lunar soil, added some of Xi Jinping's poop and tried to grow the seeds in *that. :-D

M
Old 17-01-2019, 08:02 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

The fact they germinated on the moon under controlled conditions is a big deal. They did this on the ISS but never on a foreign body. We're not going to be ploughing fields in lunar soil anytime soon but if they can grow food to sustain the first colony it's a big step towards self sustainability up there for future operations and why not possibly pave the way for Mars? I reckon it's very exciting and good to see a chinese agency being pro active for a change.