Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Outbackmanyep

Daytime stars?

How many stars would be visible to us, using instruments of course, during daytime hours?? Has anyone ever attempted to view bright stars in daylight?? (Besides the sun of course)

Cheers!
Old 23-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi OBMY

I’ve seen (easily) Sirius, Alpha Centauri, Spica, Acrux, Rigel and a few others through my Vixen 4” f9 refractor using the Skysensor 2000 GoTo.

It is a beautiful sight, seeing the diamond like star set against a bright blue background.

Venus and Mercury are easy too, as is Jupiter and to a lesser extent, Saturn. I don’t think that I have yet tried for Mars.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 23-12-2007, 08:09 PM
CometGuy

Below is a quote from Dennis Persyk, on one of the lists I belong to. Personally, I have seen stars to mag 2 quite easily in an 8" reflector and with the same instrument Alpha Centauri was a beautiful sight.

Terry

Quote by Dennis Persyk

"I do a fair amount of daylight observing at noontime with my C-11 on a goto mount. My visual observations seem to conflict with your calculations. I assume you will concede that if I can see a star, I can easily image it with my digital camera with just one frame."

"What I note is that the visual limiting magnitude is a strong function of the angular distance of the star from the sun. Not surprising, is it? Mie and Raleigh scattering are highly angular dependent. I also have an easier time seeing stars (and planets) at noon with larger apertures than smaller apertures – I missed how you accounted for the aperture effect in your calculations."

"From my observing log of Sept 7, 2003, 10:57 am local time: I see Regulus, magnitude 1.36, very clearly, with the PanOptic 19 mm eyepiece. Regulus was degrees, 11 minutes from the sun."

"Moving to greater angular distance from the sun, I easily see Izar, Epsilon Bootes, at magnitude 2.35 with an angular separation of 55 degrees, 52 minutes from the sun. The farther from the sun, the dimmer the star I can see."

"I also observed the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn. I set out to image these objects with the digital camera, but instead just enjoyed visually observing them. Besides, imaging bright (in the eyepiece) stars seemed a bit like shooting fish in a barrel – no sport."
Old 23-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

I just had a browse through some of my archives and found this daytime image of Jupiter, captured at 4:42pm, also showing 3 of the Galilean satellites, Io, Europa and Ganymede.

The image was taken with the Meade LPI through my Vixen 4” F9 refractor.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Daytime Jupiter.jpg)
20.0 KB68 views
Old 24-12-2007, 10:05 AM
OneOfOne (Trevor)
Meteor & fossil collector

I tried this very exercise at Snake Valley in November this year (2007). It was into the high 20's, not a cloud in sight and HOT! The C11 was still set up from the night before so the GoTo was pretty close. I was able to see down to Regulus with relative ease. I don't see any reason why over a year you should not be able to see all of the 30 brightest stars...and more, in the middle of the day. Just protect the scope from looking at the Sun when it is slewing.
Old 24-12-2007, 11:30 AM
leon

Now this is something that i have always wondered about, and obviously it is quite possible, must have a try at this one day..

Leon
Old 24-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

I must say that I have never tried looking for daytime stars but after reading this thread I must give it a go and see what I can find.

Cheers
Old 24-12-2007, 12:56 PM
leon

Gee your a copy cat Ric

Leon
Old 24-12-2007, 01:06 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Hmm That means polar aligning during the day so you are fully ready for the night.
Thanks for that Outbackmanjep.
Old 24-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Great minds think alike Leon

Cheers
Old 24-12-2007, 02:15 PM
citivolus (Ric)
Refracted

Now about that cloud...
Old 24-12-2007, 04:32 PM
CoombellKid

I've only seen Jupiter once in daylight through my 8" and I must say I was
surprised at how much colour you could see, well worth taking a look. Seen
venus naked eye midday numerous times and Sirius once.

regards,CS
Old 24-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Mick (Michael)

It is special to see some of the brighter stars in a blue sky, I always take the time to jump back to them for a good look after a mid afternoon setup. The best day time view that I've had was a Venus occultation by thin crescent Moon in 04 at midday very beautiful. I've attached a not so good photo from that day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCN0959.jpg)
9.9 KB38 views
Old 25-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Outbackmanyep

Thanks for the info guys! It might be a new years resolution, i'll try to track down some daylight stars!