Old 20-07-2010, 03:32 PM
cohiba (Robert)

Cannon 5D Mk2

I am curently in the market for a new camera have looked at some dedicated CCD's but cant quite seem to justify the cost for the ammount of use I would get from one. I have had a look at the Cannon 5D Mk11 which would for me, would seem to be more value for money been able to use for Asto, Terrestial and Video. There is a speical offer at the moment for the body and a L series zoom for about $4500.
For astro work I would want to use it with both my scopes LX200R 12" and my Tak TOA 130 can any of you more experienced guys forsee any dramas and is anyone using the Cannon 5D with a similar setup. Any replies would be welcome before I blow my money
Old 20-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

That seems quite pricey. What lens is it coming with? I assume the 24-105mm f/4L IS USM?

You will have no problem with the TOA-130 illuminating the full 35mm frame (especially if it has the 4" focuser). Not so sure about the LX200R unless it has a large focuser to cast an imaging circle big enough to illuminate the full frame.

H
Old 20-07-2010, 03:45 PM
koputai (Jason)

Robert,
Who is offering this deal you mentioned? I'm in the market for a 5D MkII as well. (If I can get my head around lens choice for it vs 1.6x crop......)

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 20-07-2010, 03:47 PM
leon

Robert, as H said, a truly beautiful camera and I agree it seems more useful to you than a dedicated CCD.

Go for it mate you wont be disappointed, as for the price, seems about right, Camera House is selling these to $4800.00 with 24-105 F/4L lens.

Leon
Old 20-07-2010, 08:05 PM
acropolite (Phil)

EOS 5DII and 24-105 F4L at Digi-Direct for $4199.

Digi-Direct are an Australian company selling Genuine Canon Australia stock with Canon Australia warranty, they even have a real shop front (actually 3 real shop fronts) in Sydney.

I can recommend Digi-Direct having made several purchases from them.

Their freight rates are excellent as well just a flat $15.90 on orders over $200, $9.90 for orders under $200

I have no affiliation with the company, just a satisfied customer, I might also mention there is a real person or two on the end of the phone when you call and they're more than happy to take phone orders.
Old 20-07-2010, 08:37 PM
leon

Nice Phil, now that certainly is a better price.
Leon
Old 21-07-2010, 05:29 PM
cohiba (Robert)

Hi Guys
As usual thanks for all the advice. The price I got Jason was from Camera House In Midland WA, They wanted what Leaon was quoted but managed to knock tem back a bit, Im not sure about Digicraft Phil I havnt had any personal dealing with them, but sure I will check out the web site. I think basically I have my mind set on the Cannon and I havent read a bad report about it

Regards

Bob
Old 21-07-2010, 05:52 PM
koputai (Jason)

Georges have the 5D MkII for $3099, which is the best I've seen for Australian stock with Australian warranty. Their prices on some lenses are really good too, cheaper than D-D in some cases.

http://www.georges.com.au

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 23-07-2010, 07:29 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
That seems quite pricey. What lens is it coming with? I assume the 24-105mm f/4L IS USM?

You will have no problem with the TOA-130 illuminating the full 35mm frame (especially if it has the 4" focuser). Not so sure about the LX200R unless it has a large focuser to cast an imaging circle big enough to illuminate the full frame.

H
Not true unless you know of someone who specifically uses a TOA130/ 5D combo and 2.7 inch focuser. You will have a problem with a 35mm sized sensor and a Tak unless it has a 4 inch focuser. I have not used a TOA but had an FS152 with a 2.7 inch focuser. I tried various items including the TOA35 flattener but they all badly vignetted and had horrible coma at the edges using an SBIG STL11 which is 35mm sized. I doubt the TOA is any different the main difference being it is an air spaced triplet versus a doublet.

Its gotta be 4 inch Tak focuser for large chip work or you will end up cropping 1/3rd of the image away. You will also need the field flattener for it as well and they are expensive in the 4 inch range. I got a 4 inch FS152 reducer 2nd hand for about US$600 and one of the last 4 inch FS152 flatteners for US$900 and that was cheap. A Tak super reducer is US$2000 or so. The Tak 67 flattener is cheaper but not sure of price but its gonna be over AUD$1000 easily. So keep that in mind.

APS sized sensors are fine with 2.7 inch focuser and reducers/flatteners and are considerably cheaper.

I am also in the market in the near future for a 5D Mk11. Ebay has them for AUD$2650. But that is not an Australian Warranty.

Greg.
Old 23-07-2010, 09:18 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohiba View Post
Hi Guys
As usual thanks for all the advice. The price I got Jason was from Camera House In Midland WA, They wanted what Leaon was quoted but managed to knock tem back a bit...
I sometimes buy bits and pieces from them. They are always more expensive than online stores but they are local and helpful. For me it's always a tough call between them, PRA Imaging, and cheaper online stores.

Roger.
Old 23-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Greg,

I did say that the TOA would need a 4" focuser if the intent was to illuminate the entire 35mm frame.

H
Old 23-07-2010, 11:27 AM
cohiba (Robert)

Well I took the plunge a purchased one from Midland Camera House got the kit for $4399 mind you its another $300 for a memory card, and $400 for additional battery and grip. The Tak only has a 2.7" focuser so I maybe up for another $2/3K when does it stop. I am no expert on imaging side with DSLR, but about 15 years ago when using 35mm film and processing all my own stuff I can never remember issues with croping,vingetting etc why is this the case with 35mm CCD Full frame
Old 23-07-2010, 01:45 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

$300 for a memory card?
Old 23-07-2010, 07:04 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Greg,

I did say that the TOA would need a 4" focuser if the intent was to illuminate the entire 35mm frame.

H
OK sorry Humi.

Greg.
Old 23-07-2010, 07:10 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Greg,

H
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohiba View Post
Well I took the plunge a purchased one from Midland Camera House got the kit for $4399 mind you its another $300 for a memory card, and $400 for additional battery and grip. The Tak only has a 2.7" focuser so I maybe up for another $2/3K when does it stop. I am no expert on imaging side with DSLR, but about 15 years ago when using 35mm film and processing all my own stuff I can never remember issues with croping,vingetting etc why is this the case with 35mm CCD Full frame
Oh there is no problem with the camera but its the telescope that won't provide what is called a corrected image circle (where the stars are all in focus and no seagull stars out at the edges or elongated stars in corners). I don't think there is any refractor that does that due to the curvature of the lenses.

That is why you need a flattener which gives you pinpoint stars to the corners. APS sized sensors or approx 27 x 20mm work with 2.7 inch focusers. Full frame or 35mm sized sensors require a larger corrected field and light cone that the 2.7 doesn't give. It blocks out some of the light as it does not have enough aperture. That is why you need the 4 inch focuser to get enough aperture to allow the light through unvignetted. Unfortunate but true and just one of the costs of the game. Hence the value of some of these scopes and why they offer a 4 inch focuser version. The 2.7 is fine for visual or up to APS sized sensors.

Also generally speaking now, reducers also tend not to work on full frame sensors except the more expensive 4 inch ones from Tak for the TOA series and the AstroPhysics one for the AP155, 140, 160. These are unique.

Greg.