Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 15-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugnsuz View Post
Getting the hard copy was part of the fun of preparing my Malin entry.
They're onto a money spinner with the $5 per digital entry I reckon!!
SBIG cameras for honorable mentions this year I hope - it's only fair Fred!!!!!
Yes, the physical process of making a good print was certainly part of the challenge (gaud, the number of my trials was embarissing, and expensive). Given the number of DSLR winners, SBIG was no advantage, as it should be .

Ill be VERY interested in how the entries are presented in print now, some serious work for a pro lab. Unless they are printed as submitted, in which case our expertise in PS is going to be a whole new world of pain for submitted image files.
Old 15-03-2010, 08:58 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrykgerdes View Post
I had one of those. It was good when new but after standing for a while it got to expensive to keep changing 7 cartridges. I put it in the garbage in the end. Nothing wrong except it needed a new set of cartridges.

Barry
Cartridges are only $16 each here so not too bad. Mainly have to replace the black (I print a lot of text) but the rest only about 2 - 3 times a year. Gee I wouldn't mind going through your junk .

Mark
Old 15-03-2010, 09:24 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Has anyone tried out the CIS type systems instead of cartridges?
Looks like a cost effective way to print large volume (not that I need that!!)

System for the MP550 Canon unit(below) is about $170 with 100ml of each of the 5 inks included. After that the 100mlx5 refill kit is $59. Seems a helluva lot more sensible than buying the 5 individual 10ml cartridges (I've seen generic replacement kits for around $50 online)
Just refill the 5 chambers instead of all that buggering about with syringes and needles etc!

Any thoughts?

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IP4600.jpg)
62.1 KB27 views
Old 15-03-2010, 09:27 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Given the number of DSLR winners, SBIG was no advantage, as it should be .
Oops - forgot it was sponsored by Canon!!!!!!!!!
Doug
Old 15-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Davelrkn

I just purchased a brother MFC-5460CN on special for $159
Best of all it uses 4 cart, 3 colour 1 black all high yield 37cc each and cost $9 each .
I am very happy with the results on astro photos

Cheers
Dave
Old 02-04-2010, 06:45 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

I use an Epson Stylus Office TX300f, perfect everytime.
Printer, scaner, copier and fax.

Uses the DuraBrite technology, as soon as it's printed it doesn't smudge and you can even drop it in water.

Cost was $109.00 in Dicky Smith.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:27 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
I bought an A3 printer partly with the David Malin awards in mind, a year later, they only accept emailed images, murphys law ruled there big time ;-).
Hehehe ... I bought an Epson Stylus Pro 3800 (A2 printer) last year before the DMs!! Don't ask how much - look it up!! But oh brother, what absolutely stunning prints it makes!!!! Much better than even the pro prints produced for the DM exhibitions IMO. I'm starting to print and mount A2 sized prints on my walls now!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:58 AM
floyd_2 (Dean)

I would only use Canon printers for years. A few years back I decided to break away and try an Epson R1800 A3 printer when my Canon printer was killed in a lightning strike. It has turned out to be an excellent printer, and it overcame some of the limitations of its Canon brother as far as print length for panoramas went (driver limitations with the Canon). I now use roll stock for panoramas using the rear roll stock feeder on the Epson.

Ink prices are always a problem - especially with printers that use chipped cartridges, which seems to be the fashion these days.

I used to refill my old Canon A3 printer, so it was very cheap to run. When your printer is cheap to run, you don't mind printing anything (even if it turns out to be a dud for some reason). I always longed for a CIS system on the Canon, but refilling was the next best thing. When you're using chipped cartridges, it's a whole different story. I think you can get around the chips on some printers if you want to refill (I remember the canon printers setting some sort of flag in the printer that voided the warranty if you used refills / bypassed the chip).

I buy third party chipped cartridges now my Epson is out of warranty and they're just fine. This saves a bit of money when you have 8 cartridges to maintain.

As far as quality goes, the Epson R1800 has been an excellent printer with much better build quality compared to the Canon A3 printer I previously owned. I would buy an Epson again (just watch out for the price of consumables).

I've always used Ilford papers for my high quality prints and don't think that you can really go past their pearl paper for top quality prints. You just need to tweak your settings to get the most out of the paper. You can download ICC profiles from Ilford that may help depending on your printer.

Dean
Old 04-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Marcus,

The 3800 is a kickass printer. I have the 78xx series and love it to bits. The 36x24" it prints are astounding, on warmtone gloss paper (200 year archival expectancy).

H