Old 19-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

How connect a CCD camera to your mount

Hi all

Let's say one was considering a CCD mono camera like an SBIG STT8300 and self guiding filter wheel. To be used mainly on a refractor but would also like to use the camera and filter wheel rig with Nikon lenses. Adapters are available to connect the camera to the lenses but:

How would one connect the camera to a mount?

The camera and filter wheel would be too heavy to connect the lens to the mount and hang it off the lens so how do people connect a ccd camera to a mount for work with lighter dslr lenses?

thanks
Old 20-12-2013, 01:30 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

So in short you want a ccd with a filter wheel and a nikon lens on it and mounted on a eq mount. Thats a dam good question, you could make up a DIY box or something to house it and place a dovetail to it, thats all i can think of. Something that houses the filter wheel or ccd and filter wheel, there probably no chance you could buy one because it would have to be suited to the cam and filter wheel so its gotta be DIY.
Old 20-12-2013, 02:02 PM
DavidNg (David)

You can find this adapter or something similar in good old Bintel, if your lens has adapter support.

Regards
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (adap.jpg)
74.7 KB59 views
Old 20-12-2013, 02:15 PM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

camera support

There are also camera adaptors which are like mini tube rings which go around the lens (camera lens) and secure it with a tripod mounting screw- hence the weight of the camera and lens is held rigid by the loop around the lens. Gama electronics have them for Canon and Nikon (adaptors) and the mount clamp (65mm inside diam) would work with either as long as your lens fitted inside 65mm.
if your rig was heavy you could conceivably put two camera tripod mounting screws in a line on a vixen or losmandy bar and then support both the body weight of the camera and the lens- and then place the bar as you would a scope.
Graham
Old 20-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Graham and David thanks for the ideas but I think both those methods are mounting the lens not the camera. The weight of the ccd camera and filter wheel would be to great a strain on the connector to the lens I believe to mount this way. I need to be able to mount the camera with no weight on the lens.

I think Jay knows what I mean, just wondering what other people do, there must be some out there doing widefield work with ccd cameras?
Old 20-12-2013, 06:01 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

With my QHY-6 I have a tripod adapter that Canon makes which wraps around the T-mount to canon adapter. In this case I got it from Gametronics but I think there is something similar for Nikon. The diameter by the way is 65mm, check your Nikon adapter it might be similar.
Old 20-12-2013, 06:56 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Brett,

My SBIG STL-11000M has a 1/4-20 threaded tripod hole. I'm pretty sure my Apogee U16M does too. You can attach the camera to a dovetail plate adapter like the ADM accessories one: http://admaccessories.com/D_Series_Dovetail_Adapter.htm

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 20-12-2013, 08:22 PM
axle01 (Alan)

Hey Brett have a look at this site, I have two mounts, one which I can use a Nikon D300 or a Nikon D3s with Nikon lenses and a second one with QSI683 CCD with a Nikon adapter so I can use Nikon lenses.
Both mounts have Vixen dovetail bars on them that I can then mount to a twin mount a EQ6 mount

http://starlightinstruments.com/stor...tegory&path=97
Old 21-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

If they have a 1/4" threaded hole then that is fine, like you said Rick there is ways to mount it then.

Searching on the net I can't see anywhere that the STT has a threaded hole for mounting.

Ah, I have spotted they sell a tripod adapter to connect to the camera. Nothing like a few more connections to make something work!

thanks everyone

Last edited by Spookyer; 21-12-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 21-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Actually, SBIG do make a tripod mount for STT/STXL's.

https://www.sbig.com/products/access...d-stx-cameras/
Old 23-12-2013, 06:30 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Actually, SBIG do make a tripod mount for STT/STXL's.

https://www.sbig.com/products/access...d-stx-cameras/
Thats what he needs nice find, hopefully its not to rich in price but its right for the job