Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-09-2019, 06:26 PM
poppasmurf (Shane)

image licensing

Gday all, I have been asked about using a couple of my astro images on desktop gaming mats and have no clue what to charge or even if I should charge for use at all. The mats are like a 1m square mouse pad selling for around $50 each. Anyone have any thoughts or tips on licensing?
To be honest I'm not sure that the images are even worthy of being turned into a commercial item like that.

Shane
Old 23-09-2019, 06:36 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

What is the production run?
Will the use the images for anything else?

Rather than cash, if they can offer a product you'd like, sometimes a contra deal works best.

Uluru resorts used some of my images for a national ad campaign some years ago, we struck a deal worth 4 figures. My wife and I had a great (all expenses paid) holiday in a five star resort for the use of the images.
Old 23-09-2019, 06:44 PM
poppasmurf (Shane)

Cheers for the reply Peter, I'm not sure of run and as far as I am aware images would only be used for stated purpose of gaming mats. I will have to ask some questions I think.

I do know the person, sort of. I used to do a bit of online gaming with the individual and he has decided to try a small side business to augment his regular job.

Shane
Old 01-10-2019, 04:17 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

read up on the various Creative Commons licences which are pretty clear about use/reuse/ ownership etc etc if you're really that concerned. But really what is the image? is it so spectacular and unique you are earning a living from it? or is it "yet another shot of Orion Nebula?" in other words is it worth the worry? is this a concern for your financial future? Whatever you decide get it in WRITING, if nothing else its a learning experience and may be a foot in the door to future such enterprises but be realistic and professional about it all, dont go demanding lots of $. How much time and effort did you put into taking the shot(s) and processing through to a final image? YOUR actual time doing something. It sort of all depends, if you spent months gathering subs each night etc you can honestly say it took you a lot of effort so you should be paid for that, but if anyone else could go out and get the same shot in 2min well not much to fight over. The point is make your business deal fair and easy and honest. Do your best to be professional about valuing your image and dont think about money in your pocket for it today. It may be worth lowballing their offer to try to get a good collaboration going and they may return to you for more pictures. After all slapping a photo on any old piece of crap is easy and some people make a living from that but you need to have the sales and distribution and production all covered and profits are very low, they hope for numbers usually. first outing ventures like this though you are more likely to find it an unpleasant experience but its a learning experience. Try to avoid agreeing to deferral type payment options (ie you get paid only once 100,000 units sell, stuff like that because they are likely to intend to only produce say 50,000 units so don't expect to ever pay you). but if you are too demanding and protective of your work that may be easily obtained elsewhere they are likely to not bother with you. But no matter what get agreements in writing even if this is your best friend. agreements are often difficult to understand so maybe you'll get screwed, maybe not, what do you lose at the end of the day? nothing really. But you gain valuable experience on how to not approach things next time, its just business.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:43 PM
JA

Somewhere between 2 and 5% of gross product sales is fair, unless it's a tabloid/celeb/royal/politician/business leader wrong doing image and then the sky's the limit or otherwise incredibly unique.

Best
JA
Old 01-10-2019, 05:34 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppasmurf View Post
Cheers for the reply Peter, I'm not sure of run and as far as I am aware images would only be used for stated purpose of gaming mats. I will have to ask some questions I think.

I do know the person, sort of. I used to do a bit of online gaming with the individual and he has decided to try a small side business to augment his regular job.

Shane
As a pro photographer and someone who's Map i designed with/for Patrick Moore which was wanted in a film, I am wary NOTHING should be given free.

You won't be happy if they end up making thousands and all you got was $50
Old 02-10-2019, 11:16 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

3-5% of each sale should be yours
Old 02-10-2019, 12:58 PM
poppasmurf (Shane)

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm not really in it to make a living so ended up asking for 1 of each of the finished product which I believe is fair. My shots are nowhere near the standard I see here on IIS but I was quite chuffed to have been asked for use of some of my images.
Here are the ones chosen.

Shane
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (hamburger.jpg)
124.2 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (lagoon.jpg)
77.0 KB41 views
Click for full-size image (lunar crescent  mosaic.jpg)
21.0 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (topsy turvey.jpg)
92.8 KB47 views
Old 02-10-2019, 05:19 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
3-5% of each sale should be yours
I wouldn't get out of bed for that
Old 02-10-2019, 05:45 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
I wouldn't get out of bed for that
That's nice.
This guy is not a pro, he's trying to help out a friend who is trying out a business idea, this could be a start.