Old 12-07-2017, 05:59 AM
gehelem (Gilles)

Just to share this interesting setup on cam84 with external silica bottles
I like this
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/4...camera/page-46
Old 24-07-2017, 03:55 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Ok had some issues with horizontal random noise in images. Turns out it was data transfer errors (read noise). Luka explained this (many thanks) and indeed had a "read time" delay in their ASCOM drivers that delayed the row readout each row. Increasing this fixed the issue.

[s]Having issue getting what looks to be correct debayer from APT fit files in DSS. Kinda red looks green...I may be doing it wrong. Wanted to ask...is the matrix RGGB or GRGB? What camera should I use to debayer in DSS....Nikon D70?[/s]

Damn...how does bulletin board code work...grrr...

Anyway I figured it out...wrong debayer used Crisis over..use DSS mono camera selected generic camera GRBG...

edit:
You'll need the appropriate cam86 ASCOM driver (mine is 0.7.2L) to do this delay as well as newer firmware (mine at v8L). Many thanks Luka.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (APT-FIT-150ms-with-horizontal-linessmall.jpg)
194.1 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (Garys-PCB1-30ms-light-test-fixed-read-delay-all-ok-small.jpg)
111.0 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (ascom driver delay.PNG)
25.9 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (GRBG-DSS-SAVED-DEBAYER.jpg)
189.8 KB51 views

Last edited by wasyoungonce; 24-07-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:29 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Interesting note from Faddy on the Ukrainian forums:
Quote:
...one curious fact about the 453m sensor, measurements showed the depth of the well is of the order of 40-41t .. and not 35t. As we thought earlier.

If true that would be good news.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:29 PM
gehelem (Gilles)

hi

we are a few in France to start new boards (and i want a second one, cleaner...)
I'm about to order new pcb, and i'm thinking to use yours.
Can you tell me which specific parts you've improved ?
Where can i find the last "production" one ? (and now i'm here : have you a BOM ?)

thank you
Gilles.

Last edited by gehelem; 05-08-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:56 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Hi Gilles,

The latest version is in folder "Cam86 ver 2, 18 Dec final corrections". There is also a version by Filip called Cam86_final_filip.
Take a pick...

You will need to wait for Brendan to confirm all the changes. From memory:
- the FET controlling the TEC has been upgraded as it was way too weak in the original version.
- added 3 capacitors to stabilise the input of DD6, however, this was a mistake and they are too far from DD6. They will need to be moved close to DD6, actually they should be directly next to DD6.
- improved the power connector. The original was rated only 2A while more current can be used by the camera, depending on the TEC. We doubled-up the wires to double the maximum current as we could not find a connector with larger rating but with a small size.

Since building the boards, there were few more things I wish we had changed:
- the holes for the TEC wiring are too small
- need to look into and possibly add +ve and GND holes for connecting the sensors. If there is enough place then probably even add the connectors for the sensors.
- possibly a larger hole for the cold finger

I don't think we changed the 3.3V regulator, we decided to go with 9V for the camera power instead. I don't think that the original design of going 12V to 3.3V is a good idea as there will always be lots of heat generation but using DC-DC converters would probably cause noise.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:10 PM
gehelem (Gilles)

Thank you Luka
I will check all that
I would really like to have :
- connectors for tec & sensors
- bigger hole for cold finger
Don't know how to do that with Eagle, but i'll give a try.
Gilles
Old 06-08-2017, 12:04 AM
luka
Unregistered User

Unfortunately I can't be of much assistance, never used Eagle myself. Brendan did all the design files.

I forgot the most important change, we wanted to put Brendan's avatar as logo on the board
Old 06-08-2017, 07:57 AM
flolic (Filip)

Gilles, I have 8 or 9 spare PCB-s (my design). If you want them, I can send it to you for free (just pay for shipping cost).
Old 06-08-2017, 01:18 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Hi Gents...back from C6/7 spinal fusion surgery, a few days ago.

I cannot do a lot atm "mucho sore"...but I can do some. I hope to much better in a few weeks.

If you want some PCB changes...then list them and I'll do them. Luka I will try incorporate changes/deficiencies we noted in my original board. I do have a list but we need to consolidate them.

Or if you want I can send you the Eagle PCB files and you can make the changes. As long as you allow us to copy these for our use.

Brendan

Last edited by wasyoungonce; 06-08-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:22 PM
gehelem (Gilles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flolic View Post
Gilles, I have 8 or 9 spare PCB-s (my design). If you want them, I can send it to you for free (just pay for shipping cost).
Thank you Filip
As long as we are a few in France, i think it's better to order from here...
Keep yours for friends next to you
Thanks again
Gilles.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:30 PM
gehelem (Gilles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasyoungonce View Post
Hi Gents...back from C6/7 spinal fusion surgery, a few days ago.

I cannot do a lot atm "mucho sore"...but I can do some. I hope to much better in a few weeks.

If you want some PCB changes...then list them and I'll do them. Luka I will try incorporate changes/deficiencies we noted in my original board. I do have a list but we need to consolidate them.

Or if you want I can send you the Eagle PCB files and you can make the changes. As long as you allow us to copy these for our use.

Brendan
Ouch, take care !
Be carefull : if you see more stars at night, it might come from surgery...

About pcb mod : this is very kind also, i don't know if this is difficult or not...
For me the number one is a bigger hole, adjusted to copper sensor back.
Connectors for everything : DS18B20 / DHT22 / TEC / USB / Power
Luka's suggestion are also very good points...
How can i help ?
(this is a september play, i have time, take care of you)

Gilles.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:28 PM
N_DD

ASCOM driver: crash under Kstars on Windows

Hi,

I was trying to use Kstars and EKOS with Cam86 under windows, but when configuring the latest ASCOM drive (0.7.2L) under wINDI I got an error message (see below). Also the original v0.1 driver gives the same error message. I have tried both the 32-bit and the 64-bit wINDI versions, but still no joy.
Has anybody played around with Kstrs and EKOS under windows? It is really cool, although lacking an offline plate solver for now...

Nico

Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.BadImageFormatException: Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {677DF06A-D784-4A3B-9028-D597E58131A4} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 8007000b An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B).
   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type)
   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory..ctor(String progId, TraceLogger ascomDriverTraceLogger) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 55
   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.AscomDriver..ctor(String deviceProgId) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\AscomDriver.cs:line 49
   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.Camera..ctor(String cameraId) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\Camera.cs:line 33
   at INDI.TcpServer.InstantiateDriver(String driverID)
   at INDI.ControlPanel.setupClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1099.0 built by: NETFXREL4STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
INDI Server
    Assembly Version: 2.2.6.0
    Win32 Version: 2.2.6.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/INDI/INDI%20Server.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
INDI
    Assembly Version: 2.2.6.0
    Win32 Version: 2.2.6.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/INDI/INDI.DLL
ASCOM.Utilities
    Assembly Version: 6.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 6.3.0.2831
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/ASCOM.Utilities/6.0.0.0__565de7938946fba7/ASCOM.Utilities.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 14.6.1099.0 built by: NETFXREL4STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
ASCOM.DriverAccess
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/ASCOM.DriverAccess/6.0.0.0__565de7938946fba7/ASCOM.DriverAccess.dll
ASCOM.DeviceInterfaces
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/ASCOM.DeviceInterfaces/6.0.0.0__565de7938946fba7/ASCOM.DeviceInterfaces.dll
ASCOM.Exceptions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/ASCOM.Exceptions/6.0.0.0__565de7938946fba7/ASCOM.Exceptions.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:33 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Sorry Nico, never tried wINDI. I know that Gilles is using INDI on linux with a special Cam86 INDI driver. Would that work?

Also the new update is out in the usual spot or here. Driver version 0.7.3L and firmware 9L.

Changes:
- Bug fix - white line in the first row when the cooling is used

Firmware change:
- Extra error checking. It probably does not make any difference but I thought some sanity checking of the values would not hurt.

As always test with care. And enjoy
Old 11-10-2017, 09:14 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Hi Luka/Gary

I'm ok enough now to get back into this (pardon the pun)!

Brendan
Old 12-10-2017, 05:29 PM
N_DD

Brendan, nice to hear that!

I had some success connecting my cam86 to Ekos through wINDI by running kstars as administrator: the program look nice, but it's still lacking offline plate solving under windows. Once this is fixed, I might give it a try "for real"! I'll keep you updated.

Nico
Old 12-10-2017, 05:47 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Thanks Niko

You have done some excellent work with ekos indi cross platform Kinda what ASCOM needed but never happened. Its funny you know its things like what you are doing that forces changes in mfgrs.

They all appear fixated but unwilling to commit because rate of change is enormous. But they forget backing things like indi forces change itself and eventuates in other mfgrs jumping on board. Maybe they are just lazy in support?

Anyway I'm swinging a soldering iron in anger (a little at a time) at last, new Kester solder just waiting for new Kester flux. I did manage to fix the pool controller ...again and printer as well as do some Gemini PLD firmware. A little bit at a time.

regards

Brendan
Old 12-10-2017, 07:55 PM
N_DD

Hi!

after some fiddling with ansvr.exe, I finally managed to fix the plate solving issue. Now I just miss my guide camera, then I should be ready for some real test under the stars (...weather allowing, of course...)
Old 25-11-2017, 01:37 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Guys, Grim posted lots of updates about design improvements to all Cams. You should read it yourself here (start with post 2995) but the main points are here:

Quote:
1. In the CAM86, this effect is weaker, but it is also recommended to feed the ATMega328 and 74HC86 processor from a separate power regulator. Those. The Ft2232 power supply circuit must be decoupled from the ATMega328 and 74HC86 power circuits.

2. The MAX743 transducer should be better out of the board and even the camera in general. This will save you from a lot of problems with interference and unnecessary noise in the picture. Especially in CAM90.

3. During the accumulation of the signal, instead of +15 volts per sensor and on the amplifier chip, a "supporting" +5 volts supply is supplied. So, this voltage + 5 volts can generally be removed to zero. Those. Connect the anode (+) of the diode to ground instead of +5 volts.
Generally speaking, even the +15 volt supply voltage can always be removed, only when the frame is read, it will be better - the operator and sensor will be warmer less, which will improve cooling and reduce noise. For short exposures <1 sec will need to keep +15 permanently. This will require upgrading the firmware.

4. ...it is necessary to properly connect the power wires supplying the "+" and "-" peltiers to the source of the power switching transistor, otherwise there will be some banding of the image. It is necessary to drive these wires separately from the input connector and it is better to use a separate connector for powering the cooling power section.
In the modernized firmware, the switching is carried out during the pulses of the vertical (V1..V4) sweep.

5. Now on the humidity sensor. I'm becoming increasingly convinced of its uselessness. Its readings are obtained only when the sensor is freely blasted, and it naturally does not exist in the hermetic chamber volume. When the sensor is shown above the dew point, there is still fogging. I think there are local moisture anomalies, cold parts (sensor and finger) accumulate water on themselves, drying the rest of the air in the chamber, which is "dry" and registers the sensor. Everything would be fine if a small fan (hair dryer) is installed in the hermetic chamber space. In the new firmware I just removed it.

6. ...when wiring the earth's feet of the sensor, it is better to pour the polygon through the "thermals" to reduce the loss of cold through the legs.

7. Reduce the hermetic chilled volume. You can do this as follows. When wiring the board, consider the possibility of creating a small sealed volume directly on the board. The walls of this volume will be a round or square cylinder. The side edges are made of plastic, the upper part is a protective glass, the lower part is a plate with a hole for the cold finger. The sensor is located inside this cylinder. The entire volume of this cylinder is filled with dry air. Full tightness is provided. Those. the adapter holes in the board are sealed, the slots between the cover glass, the cold finger, the plate and the plastic walls of the cylinder are sealed with a sealant or a rubber ring.
For thermal insulation and electrical insulation of the cold finger, a washer and nut from the insulator are provided.
The temperature sensor is located directly on the bottom surface of the sensor inside this sealed volume.
To do this, it must be diluted right next to the hole for the cold finger.
This is one of the options.

8. The rest of the chamber is filled with Silicone Sealant Pentelast 710. or other similar. Up to the very cover. Protective glass, naturally not poured
Old 25-11-2017, 01:42 PM
luka
Unregistered User

And this is also interesting:
Quote:
Pentelast 710 is very transparent. Can completely fill and sensor. leaving only the protective glass. This sealant is a good insulator, hydrophobic. If that pick it up for long, because on a consistence after grasping it is similar to jelly, well hardly more rigidly.
Old 25-11-2017, 05:14 PM
pat30 (Patrice)

hello friend of the South,

I have seen everything, I do not understand correctly item 3.

For motivate a little the troops :

http://www.webastro.net/upload/image...1511550323.jpg