Old 16-11-2012, 09:31 AM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

SX AO unit for QSI wsg cameras

OPT have these - I wonder if any one has tried this?
Does it render the integral guider port on the camera obsolete as it guides in front of the pick off prism?
I can't work out how it all fits together without not using the cam guider port
Any ideas?
Old 16-11-2012, 04:01 PM
roughy (Mark)

Graeme
I believe a guide cam is still required. There are mixed reviews on active optics, some swear by them others less so. I would consider one myself but not until I get a relatively long focal length scope.
Mark
Old 16-11-2012, 04:29 PM
leinad (Dan)

Ive used this setup. SXV-AOQSI (without SX Off-Axis Guider)
see picture exmaple here.
http://kamada-uic.cocolog-nifty.com/.../12/qsiao1.jpg
Old 16-11-2012, 04:49 PM
cfranks (Charles)

I have an SX-AO in series with a QSI683wsg-8. My AO doesn't have the pickoff prism, that remains with the wsg. OPT part number is SXV-AOQSI but the picture shown is wrong. Works well with the Lodestar and MaximDL but I can't get it to work with CCDSoft.

Charles
Old 16-11-2012, 05:34 PM
frolinmod

Alas, CCDSoft is dead. It's been replaced with the Camera Add On to TheSkyX. However, this AO unit won't work there either until/unless someone convinces Starlight Xpress to work together in cooperation with Software Bisque to support it.
Old 17-11-2012, 09:14 AM
cfranks (Charles)

I understand the TSX's Camera Add-on has replaced CCDSoft and (prior to the new Camera Add-on) had many emails with Terry of SX regarding support for the AO and he eventually ran out of patience. He told me that CCDSoft did support the AO but my investigation showed (and I still can't understand how it would work) that the Use AO check box would only 'appear' in CCDSoft if the SXV driver was selected for Camera 1 and not for Camera 2. I'm still imaging with CCDSoft/FocusMax while I try the new Camera Add-on plus @focus2, and use MaximDL manually with the AO. It negates any automation but I'm not getting much in the way of clear skies so it's not a problem yet. The SXAO works well with the above (less than perfect) setup using a Track time of 0.2 seconds. Hopefully, as you said, SX and SB will get together on this. I have had nothing but the highest quality service from both companies.

Charles
Old 17-11-2012, 10:09 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolinmod View Post
Alas, CCDSoft is dead. It's been replaced with the Camera Add On to TheSkyX. However, this AO unit won't work there either until/unless someone convinces Starlight Xpress to work together in cooperation with Software Bisque to support it.
Interesting as when I bought the camera add on for the sky X 2 weeks ago it stated that CCDsoft V5 must be installed to use it but when I just checked again there is no mention of it? If it is not needed I am pretty pissed off as I could have saved $350 odd dollars.

Mark
Old 18-11-2012, 03:54 AM
frolinmod

The Camera Add On to TheSkyX has never required CCDSoft. If you purchased CCDSoft because of some misleading info on the Software Bisque website, please politely report the misleading info (quote with URL) to Daniel Bisque at Software Bisque and request for a refund.
Old 18-11-2012, 06:07 AM
gregbradley

Sky X camera addon as of several months ago was rudimentary and really just a work in progress.

It was enhanced a lot about 6 weeks ago or so. I haven't used it yet but I plan to. It will be much neater to simply use one program instead of 2.

It does seem complete and probably better than CCDsoft as it allows you to control the size of the subframe for guiding, as well as increase the number of filters you can program in for an imaging run (CCDSoft desparately needed that as HaLRGB images are common).

With CCDsoft I had trouble at one point getting the Lodestar to work in it. I did eventually and it was driver related.

Greg.
Old 18-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

I've used the SX-AO unit with my QSI 540wsg on my Losmandy G8. I use an SX lodestar in the camera's guide port, so don't need the SX-AO off-axis guider. I can usually get 5 or better updates per second. Software used is MaximDL, which works easily and problem free. I get nice tight stars with this rig. Well worth the money!
Geoff
Old 18-11-2012, 11:23 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolinmod View Post
The Camera Add On to TheSkyX has never required CCDSoft. If you purchased CCDSoft because of some misleading info on the Software Bisque website, please politely report the misleading info (quote with URL) to Daniel Bisque at Software Bisque and request for a refund.
I bought the camera add on and CCDsoft v5 about two weeks ago and in the blurb about the camera add on it clearly stated CCDsoft was a requirement to get it working, problem is the statement is no longer there so I cannot supply a URL . Would never have bought it otherwise.

Mark
Old 29-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Poita (Peter)

Check the Internet Wayback Machine to see if the Blurb was archived.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:34 PM
frolinmod

It really doesn't matter, so long as you have not let too much time pass through inaction, you can simply explain the reasonable situation and request a refund from Daniel Bisque (direct via email). He's both approachable and reasonable - if you are.