Old 14-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Tony_ (Tony)

I just did a stack with nebulosity 2 - the stars were a little fuzzy (this is probably weather or focus) - but no rings around stars!
So maybe it is a processing problem - all I need to do now is find the correct parameters (I hope).
What should I use for an unmodded DSLR?

Is there better software (preferably free) than DSS that does auto-stacking etc.

Regards,
Tony.
Old 14-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Tony_ (Tony)

Problem fixed - yippee

Thank-you to everyone who offered suggestions. Everything helps.

I have now solved this problem - it was a processing issue. I reset DSS to the default settings and it worked. My Grus Trio picture wasn't too bad for a 30 minute total exposure time. Focus was good - with some structure in the galaxies. I haven't looked in detail at the new parameters - and I don't know when/why I originally changed the settings.

I can now reprocess my old images and improve them a lot + I have several that I thought were no good that may be okay after all.

I just have to work on better guiding, longer subs and increase my processing knowledge.

I have a learned a few things - I now know that tightening the worm gear on a cgem is easy. My bahtinov mask seems to give a good focus. It pays to learn more about processing etc. I think I need to start including biases too. The hazy sky doesn't prevent pictures being taken - but obviously isn't good either.

Regards,
Tony.