Go Back   IceInSpace > IceInSpace > Website Feedback and FAQ

Old 14-06-2005, 08:02 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

anothing thing that might be changable, or maybe user training would be better when posting a PM to some one it asks you if you want a reciept. now while I click cancel to let it go with out a reciept other seem to go: "damn pop-up" and hit enter, then when Its read you have to click to say you have reieved the said PM before you reply.... whats with?
Old 15-06-2005, 06:27 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

It's message tracking - it means the other person wants to know that you have received (and read) their message. But it also lets you deny the receipt, so the other person doesn't get that confirmation that you have read it.

It's just like Microsoft Outlook, where someone sending you an email can request a read receipt - to show that you have read their message. But privacy being privacy, you also get the option to "deny" sending that receipt.

If you don't want to request a receipt, hit cancel when it asks you. If someone else requests a read receipt (either on purpose, or because they just hit enter), then it's up to you to decide if you send one or not..
Old 15-06-2005, 02:23 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

"I think I will start to throw bricks at that light when I know my neighbours are asleep : )"

Gazz, I have the same trouble...I think it's the ONLY street light in the whole town that lights up even before the sun sets too! I've tried rocks....In process of making a BIG sling-shot...I'm going to NAIL that sucker very soon!
Old 15-06-2005, 04:09 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Smile

I know people like privacy but it would be nice to know whereabout people are. So when you fill out your profile Pleeeeease put your location
Old 16-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Ashgill

Well Astroron, looks like someone is lonely....
Old 20-06-2005, 09:43 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Mike is there anyway the articles could have a link to a "printer friendly version". I'd like to be able to print articles like these for "in field referencing" and currently it's take 8 pages to print. By "printer friendly" I mean when it comes up in print preview, its minus all the frames at the sides and expands the margins so that more info and less webpage layout appears in the printed version.

See here http://www.designplace.org/tutorials.php?page=1&c_id=27
Old 20-06-2005, 09:44 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

As I responded in the other thread, right at the bottom of each article there's a "Print" icon (next to "up" and "back"). Click it, and you'll get what you want.

(don't confuse it with the IE toolbar "print" icon)
Old 20-06-2005, 09:52 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

At least everyone can find the question and see the answer here thanks Mike
Old 17-07-2005, 10:59 AM
cynicmeister

Hi all... a little while back the Ice InSpace guys & gals had a get-together on the Central Coast - it was mentioned that there were several persons from the "Maitland" area, but when i asked at the appropriate "thread", no-one responded.

Where would be the best place to talk about a "do" in the maitland area?

Y'see National Science Week is a-comin' and I've been asked by the Uni of Newcastle to put togetehr an observing schedule for that.

Any suggestions?
Old 17-07-2005, 11:16 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

In either General Chat or Space and Astronomy Talk cynicmeister
Old 17-07-2005, 12:49 PM
cynicmeister

Maitland Get together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders]
In either General Chat or Space and Astronomy Talk cynicmeister
My Apologies, I forgot that bit - I'm open to suggestions, I was actually thinking of a range of activities - pick one in the range of

* an informal get-togetther, with no set structure; via a basic astronomy talk straight off the top of my head, possibly about stellar distances or another topic that others want to hear (perhaps they can present?) ; on all the way to a formal meeting to form a Maitland "mid Hunter" astronomical society" under the auspices of the Newcastle Astronomicla Society.

I leave others to decide where in that range IF they want such, and when / where they want such.

But my ask is / was where does one place such a question on these forums?
Old 25-07-2005, 03:25 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

I would like to see more reviews on equipment...mainly telescopes. If I was a newbie looking for advice on what to buy & asked that question in this forum, the usual reply to that is a GS dob of some description, right? (if their budget is a max of about 2 K) So ok...Iv'e made up my mind I want (because somone told me there the bee's-knee's) a GS dob, my next reaction is to read a review about that telescope in question. Well there is no review on any GS dob here. Unless you want to search the threads archived in the site, which takes a long time to do, alternatively you can post a thread asking for a user review, which I'm sure some of the people here are sick & tired of answering. Although some may enjoy giving the 'standard' reply to a newbie lol.

How about it you GS dob user's?
Old 26-07-2005, 06:29 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
I would like to see more reviews on equipment...mainly telescopes
I agree John, and I'd like to see more too.. but as you can well understand, I'm completely reliant on the submissions from members in this area.. I wish it was the case, but I just don't buy enough new telescopes to review

Quote:
Well there is no review on any GS dob here
That's a good point, and there was talk a few months back that we would write a "GS Dob Guide", which would be part-review part-howto for all the things that could be fixed/modded on the GS dobs.

Starkler was leading that charge, and as a temporary release he did the mirror astigmatism article, I'll see if we can get some more collabaration on a review.. it's very true that for the amount of times we recommend a GS Dob, there should be a review on it on the site.

Maybe one of the recent (or soon to be) owners of the 8, 10 or 12" dob could do a review?
Old 26-07-2005, 11:33 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Exclamation

Ok Mike I was supposed to Do something about that myself, so here goes:
GS Dob review... Why a GS dob is usually recommended as the best first scope ?

Having started seriously in Amateur astronomy 2 1/2 years ago, with the formation of our local club, I did the usual seach the Net for answers on what my first scope should be.
I quickly discovered the first rule of amateur astronomy "appeture rules" the second thing I discovered is that the scope you can easily use is the best scope that is going to keep you interested & involved in the discovery of the night sky.
After reading many articles on US forums & sites, it quicly became apparent the the best Value/Quality/ease of use scope was a dobsonian (Dob) mounted Neutonian Reflector.
As there was no IceInSpace back in those dark days , A bit more searching revealed two possibles suppliers in Sydney as the best option, one offering a keen price & one offering a fair price & great service, there are many more suppliers in the market today.
The 10" GS Dob was the biggest availible then so the decision was made & a few weeks later I had my new scope !
Assembly was easy for the Base (Ikea style with instructions) the optical tube assembly (OTA) was not to hard to work out (but no instructions)
That is the main difference between the Keen priced supplier & the fair priced one (comprehensive instructions) !
After collumating (aligning the mirrors) of the scope (A topic covered elsewhere in this forum) it was out for first light for the scope.
My first discovery was that the 4mm & 6mm Possol eyepieces are pretty useless (but that is a whole seperate topic)
The most useful eyepieces I would have to say are 9,15,25 & 40mm focal lengths, tring to over magnify is usually the first thing a Nooby will do (yep I did it too )
First light was a while ago for me, but as I recall it went like this:
First impressions were awesome, Omega Centuri & M42 were superb, planets were good, but the level of detail less than optimal.
This is were the hunt for better quality short focal length eyepieces comes in, after columating the scope & cleaning optics (had quite a few dusty observing sessions by now) seems this was the only thing left to try.
Spending $150 plus on good quality eyepieces (first seibert optics & now Teleview radian) certainly made a difference.
I have yet to check for pinched optics as described elsewhere in this forum.
Star tests have always looked good to my with the GSO dob I received.
There are several modifications that can be easily made to the GS Dob & again they are covered comprehensivly elsewhere in this forum, but in summary they are:
- "Milk Jug" washers under the center bolt of the base to reduce the friction on the outside teflon pads
- Adding a couple of "key rings" to the OTA tension springs to reduce the Altitude tension
- Adding a couple of heavy duty lockable castors to the base, to enable easy deployment of the scope for that impromptu observing session.
- Adding a couple of handles near the OTA pivot point to allow easy moving of the newly mobile scope.
As with any scope, quality Eyepieces will make a Difference to your viewing experience, particully at higher magnifications (shorter focal lengths 3 to 10mm)
If you are a visual observer, who wants to take some planetary & Moon photos (see Icemans great photo's with his Dob elsewhere in this forum), this is all the scope you will ever need (unless you get a serious case of appeture fever!)
So how big is big enough ? If you can afford the space, get the 12" model, if space & or weight are an issue, consider the 8 or 10" models.
Would I buy one again given my time over? Yes ... in a second, but I would get the 12"
I hope this helps you in your desicion to by your first scope, you have done the right thing in any case, you have come here to the "IceinSpace family"

(Photos to come later, once I take some decent ones of the scope & Mods)
May your skies be clear & you appeture large :-)

Well Mike, I hope that is a good start to a GS Dob review

Last edited by gaa_ian; 28-07-2005 at 11:53 PM.
Old 27-07-2005, 01:38 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Well I like it! Good one Gaa_ian! I also believe David Pretorious would be an EXCELLENT candidate to write a review on the GS 10" as well? David!!? Are you listening?? lol..
Old 27-07-2005, 09:52 PM
FNQ_View (Mick)

Have not been online for a couple of days. Log in & _WOW_

I like the new look !!

Well Done!!
Old 27-07-2005, 11:16 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Thanks Asimov ... I will have to PM it to Mike, see if he wants to use it ?
Old 27-07-2005, 11:57 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Ian,Good write-up.

Why PM it. It is already in here now. He can just lift it off the post!

I might give the 12" review a go one day.
Old 28-07-2005, 06:12 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Ian, that's a great start. Ideally it needs to be a little longer, with pics and such, but there's some good info in there.

If I know David P (which I don't, but you know..) he'll document everything as he has been doing, and i'm sure he'll write up a thorough review.. right David?
Old 28-07-2005, 11:08 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Smarter smilie parsing please!

Recent examples:

As they appear:
Dare I ask!
(what a fool I was! )

As intended (or nearly so):
Dare I ask!
(what a fool I was! )

PS. smilie spelling could do with some work too. E.g., pray & prey: see any English dictionary for more.