Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2018, 12:35 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

EQ5 pro carry capacity

I am seriously considering the purchase of an eq5, well it is a matter of which day really, but I have noticed some set ups where folk seem to place rather heavy scopes on the eq5.
I am purchasing the eq5 for the 80 mm espirt but I wonder if I could image placing the f5 eight inch on the eq5... Just curious as to what to expect. So there would be the eight inch, nikon dslr and a finder guider and guide camera.
Alex
Old 04-02-2018, 01:18 PM
raymo

Hi Alex, Are you referring to the EQ5 or the HEQ5. If the latter, no problem;
almost all of the images I have posted here have been with 8" f/5 Newt on
my HEQ5.
If the former, you'd be really pushing it, a fairly low percentage of frames
acceptable for stacking being the most likely result.
raymo
Old 04-02-2018, 01:39 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Raymo I will make sure to get the HEQ 5.
That is great news.
Alex
Old 04-02-2018, 01:59 PM
doppler (Rick)

Alex, from what I have been able to find out the HEQ5 pro and the NEQ6 both have the same stepper motors and some of the increased payload capacity would be due to the heavier tripod supplied with the NEQ6. I have the HEQ5 pro (mounted on a pier) and it seems to easily push a 10"f5 newt, anything lighter easy as.
Here's a comparison link https://astrobackyard.com/heq5-vs-neq6/
Old 04-02-2018, 02:18 PM
raymo

Rick, the 5 and 6 have the same motors as far as I know, but the 6 is physically larger and quite a lot heavier than the 5, giving it an approximately 50% greater recommended payload. Anyway, looking at his previous posts I don't think Alex would be interested in the 6.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 04-02-2018 at 02:26 PM. Reason: extra text
Old 04-02-2018, 02:33 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Definitely not the EQ5 if you're doing photography. Bearings and internals very different to the HEQ5 and EQ6, from an era that people were happy having GOTO, but not expecting the performance, PE, etc necessary for astrophotography.

Not impossible, just lots more effort to the point of discouragement.

Last edited by RobF; 04-02-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:40 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I am seriously considering the purchase of an eq5, well it is a matter of which day really, but I have noticed some set ups where folk seem to place rather heavy scopes on the eq5.
I am purchasing the eq5 for the 80 mm espirt but I wonder if I could image placing the f5 eight inch on the eq5... Just curious as to what to expect. So there would be the eight inch, nikon dslr and a finder guider and guide camera.
Alex
Sounds like the eq5 would be a very challenging mount to deal with exposures near a minute even, so many throw aways expected.

That Newt is still a long heavy scope with a big moment arm ..wobbly in the wind even for that mount.
Heq 5 mount not as much of a problem; usually going by the mount capacity..Heq5 at 14kg, should be no more than 9kg all up for AP, even for short unguided subs and a good drift align.

Sometimes better to wait, get something better than eq5 and not have to pull your hair out!

bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 04-02-2018 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 04-02-2018, 03:10 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you all for your input.
I already have an eq6 I just want something easier to carry etc.in addition.

It would be nice if I could go up North with a mount not as heavy but take both scopes.
Alex
Old 04-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I reckon with a little care you should be alright with the 8” on a HEQ5. Just don’t wind the tripod legs up too far...
Old 04-02-2018, 07:02 PM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Rick, the 5 and 6 have the same motors as far as I know, but the 6 is physically larger and quite a lot heavier than the 5, giving it an approximately 50% greater recommended payload.
I've been looking into the differences between the 5 & 6 mounts regarding payload. It would seem that the internals ie motors, shafts, worms and bearings are the same or very similar, weight load on these internals should be the same. The NEQ6 has a heavier case and is secured to the tripod with an M12 bolt VS a M10 on the HEQ5 and the 6 also has a heavier tripod with wider tubing.
I have toyed with the idea of beefing up (rebuiding) my 5, from the alt az adjustment down, that whole set up is pretty badly designed. The single m10 bolt holding the 10"newt and 18kg's of counter weights makes me nervous at times.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:53 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I have had 2 EQ5's (Chinese copy of the superb Vixen GPD), and both were absolute crap. Terrible quality of manufacture (don't open one up lest you see swarf and poor machining/casting everywhere). I have seen people "hypertune" EQ5's and tame them to SOME extent, but compared to a GPD, not even in the ball park. Max imaging weight i'd put on an EQ5 would be 5kg.

HEQ5 is a different fish as already pointed out. I did have one fail (dec head motor and 2 board replacements), but they are nicely made and track fairly well, but definitely need tuning to get really good. I prefer them to the NEQ6, but of course the load capacity is inferior - I wouldn't image above 10kg with one honestly, and definitely not a long moment arm scope like a long refractor.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I will get one HEQ5 for the 80 mm and try the eight inch...
I just need to buy something for me...its been a month since an astro purchase.
Alex
Old 04-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Alex,
My standard un-modded HEQ5 pro is over ten years old and still going strong.
I use it for my solar scopes and "family viewing" - no issues, no drama.
I also use an observatory mounted NEQ6 pro for spectroscopy - again no issues, no drama.

I would limit the loading of the HEQ5 to around 10-11Kg for optimum performance.
Bang per buck great value.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:03 PM
raymo

Rick,I'm not surprised that the 10mm bolt worries you when you have the mount grossly overloaded relative to its recommended payload; the 10mm bolt is perfectly adequate for the recommended load, but not to
worry, it would take several times the load you have on it to worry a mild
steel 10mm bolt. You could always get a local machine shop to make up
a high tensile one for you.
raymo
Old 05-02-2018, 12:20 AM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Rick,I'm not surprised that the 10mm bolt worries you when you have the mount grossly overloaded relative to its recommended payload; the 10mm bolt is perfectly adequate for the recommended load, but not to
worry, it would take several times the load you have on it to worry a mild
steel 10mm bolt. You could always get a local machine shop to make up
a high tensile one for you.
raymo
Raymo, I am using a shorter high tensile bolt, as I have the mount on a pier. There is actually not a lot of weight on the central bolt when the tube is on as the balance point is near the centre. I just don't like the whole design for the alt/ az adjustment part of the mount. I have read that the standard adjustment bolts are prone to bend as well.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:46 AM
raymo

I had my HEQ5 for nearly 8yrs, and never had any trouble with the altitude
bolt because I simply used a little common sense and put my hand under the mount and took some of the weight when screwing the bolt inward. A daub of grease on the thread now and again also helps a lot. it is a very basic set up, as is to be expected with a budget level mount. In your case, with it on a pier,
the bolt should surely be a very low priority, as you would hardly ever have to move it, assuming that it is permanently mounted on the pier.
raymo
Old 05-02-2018, 09:18 AM
doppler (Rick)

My pier is out in the weather, no obs so the ota comes in every night but I do cover the mount and leave it out for days. The ota, rings, camera etc weigh in just under the max payload of 15kgs, so only overloaded by what some consider max imaging payload. That bolt just seems to be the weakest link in the overall scheme of things.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:43 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

The bolts can be prone to bending, exacerbated by higher latitudes, but as raymo says with a little care it’ll be right.

After my inexperience led to my EQ6 alt bolt bending, I replaced with the astro developments one, but it doesn’t make smooth movement any easier, and I subsequently settled on an EQ6wedge.

The AZ-EQ6 and EQ6-R have an improved altitude mechanism - I’m assuming the AZ-EQ5 also. But these are all more expensive. You get what you pay for
Old 05-02-2018, 10:16 PM
SuperG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Definitely not the EQ5 if you're doing photography. Bearings and internals very different to the HEQ5 and EQ6, from an era that people were happy having GOTO, but not expecting the performance, PE, etc necessary for astrophotography.

Not impossible, just lots more effort to the point of discouragement.
I do have a eq5pro and it does have PEC. It also provides reasonable pointing performance with an ed80 or C6 sct. I aim to also use a c8 sct on it for planets. But it can only handle 9.xKg. The heq5 is obviously better but the eq5 is still ok.