Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 12-02-2018, 04:14 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Ebook Readers and iTunes

I have used an iPad for ages as an eBook reader but Apple have recently made it impossible to download ebooks (EPUB etc) unless you buy them from them. I have a heap of books on my PC and now, courtesy of an iTunes update can no longer access them. Not happy Jan!!

So I'm looking for alternatives that don't cost the earth. Apart from the ubiquitous Kindle and it variants, does anyone have a kind word to say about any other devices?

Peter
Old 12-02-2018, 04:22 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

My kobo device is going strong. holds charge for months and is quite responsive. Can't recommend ebook readers enough. The e-ink allows you to read for much longer without eye fatigue like you would with an lcd screen. Not to mention they hold charge for such a long time.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:03 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Assuming you kept all the iOS updates on your pc, you can roll back the iOS to the earlier version or back to factory setting and it should be good. I always keep the original settings backed up on my pc but delete most subsequent backups/updates.

Look in C drive under users and Apple usually
Old 12-02-2018, 06:33 PM
luka
Unregistered User

I don't have an ipad but I am guessing that you are using whatever app Apple had pre-installed on it and which got crippled with the latest update. Check the App Store, I am sure there are heaps of other reader apps that will let you read epubs and other files.

Someone with an ipad may be able to recommend one... Kindle App?
Old 12-02-2018, 07:02 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Hi Peter,

I recently downloaded a few stray epub format books and have had no problem reading them in iBooks on my Apple devices. From memory I converted them from some other format using Calibre on a Windows laptop.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Wavytone

I save them as PDF on my Mac then put them on the desktop which is synced to iCloud ... they appear as PDF on my iPhone or iPad. One advantage is you can treat any document this way - graphics included - which iBooks seem to lack.
Old 13-02-2018, 08:25 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Peter

I just used the Kindle App on my iPad to open and read a Kindle e-book with no problems and I have the latest version of iOS installed.

I stopped purchasing (Apple) books from the Apple store when they decoupled iBooks (and Apps) from iTunes and I now only purchase books from Amazon/Kindle and read them on the iPad using the Kindle App on the iPad.

The Kindle App for iOS was free when I downloaded it via the Apple App Store and it opens all my books purchased from Amazon/Kindle.

I still use Apple’s iBooks for legacy iBooks originally purchased via iTunes on my PC, as well as PDFs that I have on my iPad.

Cheers

Dennis