Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 20-02-2018, 10:57 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

A succesful street light removal story!

Rather naughtily I personally thanked the poor gentleman that collected the annoying streetlight outside my house last night. Thankfully he was fine; I was standing in the garage when I heard the crash Lesson: don't drive tired.

And massive kudos to the unsung hero's of the incident - the engineers who designed the lamp post to crumple in such a way that the car occupants would be completely unhurt. My father was a lighting engineer and in his day he designed these things to be still standing after the nuclear winter. Those engineers have saved many, many lives.

The even better news, chatting to the Energex man who came to make the electrics safe, there is a minimum three to six month wait for new installations and he has put a note on the job to consider shielding the light from our property
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20180219172040 (Medium).jpg)
200.8 KB157 views
Old 20-02-2018, 11:04 AM
h0ughy (David)

Something to keep in mind for later when you don't get the shield. Hire car parking mishap?
Old 20-02-2018, 11:11 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Can someone come up my way and do that ..... in advance

Col....
Old 20-02-2018, 11:50 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Good one Jonathan, may the note on the job be headed

Out of interest, what was your reasoning to the Energex guy to suggest the shielding..?

Mike
Old 20-02-2018, 12:09 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Out of interest, what was your reasoning to the Energex guy to suggest the shielding..?
The light is quite close to some bedrooms and as the house is a few metres higher than the road, there is a fairly direct view of the fitting all of which help justify shielding.
Old 20-02-2018, 12:18 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk View Post
Rather naughtily I personally thanked the poor gentleman that collected the annoying streetlight outside my house last night. Thankfully he was fine; I was standing in the garage when I heard the crash Lesson: don't drive tired.

And massive kudos to the unsung hero's of the incident - the engineers who designed the lamp post to crumple in such a way that the car occupants would be completely unhurt. My father was a lighting engineer and in his day he designed these things to be still standing after the nuclear winter. Those engineers have saved many, many lives.

The even better news, chatting to the Energex man who came to make the electrics safe, there is a minimum three to six month wait for new installations and he has put a note on the job to consider shielding the light from our property
Finally a streetlight story with a happy ending..well at least for months ..and a shield possible.

bigjoe.
Old 20-02-2018, 06:49 PM
DarkArts

Does anyone have some unused det cord lying around ... Or maybe you could do a "Cool Hand Luke"?
Old 21-02-2018, 10:28 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

ACTEWAGL came and put in 50 brand spanking new wonderful LED street lamps along our stretch...SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy

Might ask the ESA guys to accidentally run down 50 light poles with their firetruck on the way to an emergency. Might only cost a crate of beer or 2...
Old 21-02-2018, 12:29 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
ACTEWAGL came and put in 50 brand spanking new wonderful LED street lamps along our stretch...SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy
Here lies the Night Sky
4.5bn Yrs BCE - 2018
Died of ignorance
Old 21-02-2018, 01:06 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk View Post

Glad to see you're reclaiming the night,Jonathan,even if it is as the result of a fender bender.
No problem in having find someone knock down a light pole to gain access to a dark sky here at My abode at Cambroon.
Enjoy your dark sky while you can,as you know time seems too travel fast.
Cheers
Old 26-02-2018, 10:51 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

You watch that one cloud settle over your place now! For about 3-6 months...
Old 26-02-2018, 11:48 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Just took the dog for his constitutional - its cloudy and wet, but it is bloody dark (despite the alleged presence of a moon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shano592 View Post
You watch that one cloud settle over your place now! For about 3-6 months...
Old 27-02-2018, 09:53 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

Send the Brumby driver down to my place. We'll see how he goes on a wooden pole! I could use some dark, even if it is wet...