Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2020, 10:55 AM
I.C.D (Ian)

Striped grub screw

Hi All
I have a small problem ,I have been having bad DEC backlash in the EQ6 PRO found the problem but when I went to tighen the 2mm grub screw i strip the allen head and now I can't get to move .Any ideas
Ian
Old 09-04-2020, 11:26 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Usually when a head has been stripped you have to drill it out. However in doing so you might damage the thread and will have to tap the hole again at the next size up. One thing you could try if you want to avoid tapping a new thread, is to drill a tiny hole in the center of the grub screw and then try to glue a small screw or bolt in there. Just be careful not to glue the grub screw in place. Then you’ll have no choice but to drill everything out and tap a new thread. If done right you will now have a screw that is stuck in the grub screw which you should be able to unthread and remove without damaging anything. Then just replace it with a new 2mm grub screw. This is based on the assumption that you can get a drill in place to do this, if there isn’t enough room for access then you will have to try something else. I hope this makes sense and good luck.

Last edited by LostInSp_ce; 09-04-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:40 AM
Star Catcher (Ted Dobosz)

Depends on how rounded off is the allen socket. I have had success with five methods in the past. The first thing before doing anything is to get a fresh good quality allen key, just in case some sides are worn on the original.

Give the grub screw some WD40 or RP7. Clean up the head of the grub screw carefully with acetone or isopropyl. Give it some time for the lubricant to settle in threads before taking next steps.

Applying some heat onto the grub screw would be good, but its difficult because of heat transference into the surrounding metal. In situations where a small blowtorch was impractical e.g. damage to paint surfaces, I have tried placing a soldering iron tip directly to the screw head to get it hot. Not sure if it made any difference

1) Use aluminium kitchen foil placed over the socket and push the allen key into the socket so it traps some foil in the socket. The foil might take up enough slack for your fresh key to work. Double over layers as required until a tight fit, if at all possible

2) Use a rubber band place over the socket and push the allen key into it so it grips the inside of the socket better. (Probably impractical given it is a small sized allen socket)

3) Dabb a bit of superglue onto the allen key and hold it in place in the socket until dry. This one is tricky if done wrong as it might leak onto the body of the grub screw and things gets worse

4) Get a small drill bit and carefully drill out the screw and use an awl to remove bits still in the thread. Possible to damage threads or leave bits behind that weld into place when you screw in another grub screw

5) I have used a screw extractor before but never on anything as small as 2 mm

I am sure more mechanically minded in the forum have more elegant solutions

Ted
Old 09-04-2020, 12:17 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Catcher View Post
1) Use aluminium kitchen foil placed over the socket and push the allen key into the socket so it traps some foil in the socket. The foil might take up enough slack for your fresh key to work. Double over layers as required until a tight fit, if at all possible

Ted
I’ll have to give this a shot one day.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:28 PM
bojan
amateur

If you have to drill out the grubscrew, you can then try with helicoil insert.
Or bigger thread and grub screw

Or, you can make the extraction tool from old drill bit.. using small grinder (dremel)
Old 10-04-2020, 10:28 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
If you have to drill out the grubscrew, you can then try with helicoil insert.
Or bigger thread and grub screw

Or, you can make the extraction tool from old drill bit.. using small grinder (dremel)
+1 That's the way to do it. Additionally if the thread is damaged you can drill to size and retap one size up.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:14 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

The worm adjustment screws are usually quite free moving on these, try loosening the socket screws that lock the worm carrier down and back off it's opposite number adjusting grub screw so there is no pressure on it.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:19 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Just another thought ....a small eze-out ( screw extractor set )

You can get very small ones also for ' tiny ' screws / Allen Head / Grub Screws.

Always used these with stubbon / stripped / Aircraft Parts that required disassembly.

Just a thought .

Col...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (34.jpg)
77.5 KB100 views
Old 10-04-2020, 11:51 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

I would use a T7 or T8 Torx bit tapped lightly into the socket, they are tapered slightly and the 6 points will grip the set screw. A set is about $20 from Bunnings
Old 10-04-2020, 02:01 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Just another thought ....a small eze-out ( screw extractor set )

You can get very small ones also for ' tiny ' screws / Allen Head / Grub Screws.

Always used these with stubbon / stripped / Aircraft Parts that required disassembly.

Just a thought .

Col...

These are brilliant, had a set of these for over 30 years, got me out of strife lots of times.
Old 13-04-2020, 08:08 AM
I.C.D (Ian)

Hi All,thanks for all the feed back, next question can I remove the DEC housings without having to striping the hole mount down
Old 13-04-2020, 03:35 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Hi all thanks to all that provide me with help.I have now striped it down fixed the issue and rebuild it, Just waiting for a clear night to see if I have fixed my Dec backlash