Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 31-03-2020, 09:54 PM
FrancoRodriguez (Franco)
Franco

I was wondering what your thoughts on the TEC180 were for imaging. I'm contemplating a large frac for an obsy that I'm planning. i already have a great mount so weight isn't a problem. What are your thoughts on TEC 160 or 180 versus TOA150 for imaging?
Old 31-03-2020, 10:41 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoRodriguez View Post
I was wondering what your thoughts on the TEC180 were for imaging. I'm contemplating a large frac for an obsy that I'm planning. i already have a great mount so weight isn't a problem. What are your thoughts on TEC 160 or 180 versus TOA150 for imaging?
I had a TEC180 for several years. Its about the largest refractor that you could handle personally without help. I had it on a Tak NJP mount mostly which handled it so long as it was well balanced.
With the flattener it gave round stars to the corners. Yuri does not make a reducer for it but AP has now made versions of its superb TCC reducer to fit TEC scopes.

https://pbase.com/gregbradley/image/109538466/large

Overall a good scope. Looking at one german testing site though it seems its not that well corrected in the red. Yuri optimises his scopes for green (visual).

TEC160 I think would not be much different imaging-wise than the 180 as once you hit 150 most scopes are going to be able to do widefield and brighter galaxies.

TOA150 is a superb scope and punches above its aperture with near perfect APO optics. I do see a lot of them for sale though. They are very front heavy and heavy overall. Best to ask Marcus Davies for his opinion as he has used one for several years. His images often surprised me, showing detail other larger scopes did not.

So I would lean towards the TOA150 myself and you probably could pick one up cheaper than the TEC160.

Another one that is not known well but may be excellent is the CFF160.

I am very happy with my CFF105 F6 refractor. Its somewhat of a replacement for an AP scope as they are hard to get and Roland can only make so many.
Greg
Greg.