Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-01-2018, 09:12 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

4x Powermate or planetary camera?

So ive recently moved to a new house that has a very bright lamp drowning out anything worth imaging. So im thinking id try my hand at plametary imaging with the ed127. My question is, should i get a powermate and use it with my 5d or should i get a camera with a smaller sensor? Something like a zwo planetary (good thing is that id be able to double up and use it as a guidecam when im out at a dark site).

Thanks in advance.
Old 20-01-2018, 01:53 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Tony, I'd vote for a dedicated planetary cam...they're more sensitive and support much higher frame rates.

Also, don't get caught up in the powermate slippery slope...sure they're nice, but a good barlow will do just as well with a planetary cam as the sensors are so small...shouldn't have to worry about CA across the field!

Personally, I'm a big fan of the ASI224MC...it's OSC which is easier to use. The ASI290MM is also a firm favourite of those more advanced than I...
Old 20-01-2018, 03:12 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

A different take to Dunk.
I have used a 4X powermate behind my Mewlon 210 to capture Saturn and its rings.
Camera ZWO ASI120mm
Capture program Sharpcap
A small field of interest gave a frame rate of about 120 fps.
The field contained the rings with just a little to spare.

Caveat, I live at an absolutely dark site and the seeing was very good that night.

Just to consider,
Chris
Old 20-01-2018, 04:18 PM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

I've found the following calculator useful for modelling different scope/cam setups
http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/
Old 21-01-2018, 05:07 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Thanks guys, I'm currently looking at the 120mm or 120mc from bintel. They both have their pros and cons so will do a bit more research
Old 22-01-2018, 10:46 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

The 224 and 290 are waaaaay more sensitive, if your pocket(s) is deep enough. May be worth it given you're chasing these things without a big reflector...but that's just MO
Old 22-01-2018, 12:00 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

aha way ahead of you dunk, I was thinking of getting the 120mm with the filter kit but saw the 224mc for cheaper so ordered it directly from zwo.
Old 23-01-2018, 06:22 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Correction, i ordered the 290mc. Also a club member was selling a c8 for $300 so i also grabbed that all ready for upcoming jupiter season
Old 24-01-2018, 08:43 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Old 24-01-2018, 09:55 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

You should be happy with the ZWO290mc, I've been using one for about a year with my 127mm triplet or 200mm f6 newt and 2.5 X Powermate and am more than pleased with some of the results I've managed to get.
Really looking forward to planet season this year now I'm more familiar with my set ups and processing.
Have fun working out the best focal lengths , camera resolutions etc and , yea, I was eyeing off that C8 myself, was almost too good to pass up but someone got in quicker, congrats.
Old 24-01-2018, 10:34 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
You should be happy with the ZWO290mc, I've been using one for about a year with my 127mm triplet or 200mm f6 newt and 2.5 X Powermate and am more than pleased with some of the results I've managed to get.
Really looking forward to planet season this year now I'm more familiar with my set ups and processing.
Have fun working out the best focal lengths , camera resolutions etc and , yea, I was eyeing off that C8 myself, was almost too good to pass up but someone got in quicker, congrats.
Aha, i was also too late to pick up the c8 listed here. The c8 i bought was listed in our local clubs newsletter :p. Do you have any sample images taken with the 127 and 290mc? I have the same size scope and was wondering how images would look.

Thanks
Old 25-01-2018, 12:26 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Hi Tony
I should learn how to upload images to this site, a few I've taken are almost worth displaying in public. At the moment I'm too tired, been doing a lot of digging the past week, not good at my age. I'll have a go tomorrow when more bright eyed and bushy tailed.
Old 25-01-2018, 10:24 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Pitching a 5" 'frac against a C8 is an interesting experiment
Old 25-01-2018, 12:35 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I do have them both now aha. One of the other reason for buying the c8 is that the 127 doesnt come in to focus with an eyepiece unless i switch out the focuser (a hassle in the field) and it's a bit too long to observe as it can get to awkward places. For field nights and public viewing nights, the C8 will serve well showing planets to the public while not having to do yoga to reach the eyepiece. Will report back once I pick up the scope today
Old 25-01-2018, 01:01 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Yeah the C8 packs some aperture into a might convenient little package.

Pay particular attention to collimation - it's easier than a newt as there is only the secondary adjustment but it's very sensitive when approaching spot-on...and it can make all the difference.

SE QLD makes for reasonably stable thermal conditions for a SCT since the temperature doesn't change all that rapidly, at least, until winter. You will want to devise a cooling solution before we hit peak planetary season. I have the Edge HD 8 with vents that have been fitted with fans and in winter they can be invaluable around dusk when the temperature drops 10-20 degrees in the space of a few hours.

Given you bought a 290, I'd suggest you leave the Barlow out to start with, and practice with getting the object on the very tiny chip at long focal length... I'd almost forgotten how much fun that is

Good luck - and enjoy
Old 25-01-2018, 01:16 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I'm so used to platesolving for framing with DSO objects and a wide field of view. I'll have to get out my telrad finder from storage and learn how to do it the old fashioned way all over again.
Old 25-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

You'll need more than a zero magnification finder at that focal length

Maybe strap the 127 to the top?
Old 25-01-2018, 02:18 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I have an ed80 that i might chuck on the top. But for now, ill just do it the old fashioned way with a finderscope
Old 25-01-2018, 07:22 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Good luck
Old 25-01-2018, 10:14 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quickly set up the c8 to test it out. The moon is SHARP in this thing. There are some smudges on the plate as well as the mirror but they dont seem to be affecting the image. However, I'll want to get them cleaned later on just in case. I have the scope still set up outside for jupiter if it stays partially clear and i dont pass out from exhaustion. I'm sure the images will be even sharper once the scope had time to cool.