ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 30-01-2015, 12:53 PM
mtfreestyler (Matt)

Help buying first Astrophotog Telescope with budget of $1-1.5K

Hi Guys,

I'm finally taking the plunge and would love some input from the you.

I have decided on a NEQ6 mount but now I need a scope.

I have no real preference for what design the scope is but I like to buy things that I won't need to upgrade for a while (hence the NEQ6 as a first mount)

I am a bit of a perfectionist with my photos so this also doesn't help.

I am thinking of one of the NEQ6 bundles at the bottom of this page might be ok.
http://www.astropetes.com.au/telescopes.html

My budget for the scope is anywhere from $1000 to $1500 but obviously there is always wiggle room if someone convinces me

I already have a Canon 7D and a Canon 5DmkIII that I will be able to use

Thanks for any input

Matt
Old 30-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Hi Matt and to Ice in Space!

Before factoring in cost, you will need to consider your intended targets as different telescopes have different focal lengths and therefore frame subjects differently. Not to mention their differing setup and maintenance routines.

For example, there are large targets such as Eta Carinae, the Magellanic Clouds, regions in the centre of the MW especially that are spectacular in a wide field scope. Alternatively, a longer focal length instrument will so individual objects in those areas along with countless others dotted around the sky. The Universe is your canvas, but your choice of telescope will determine which subjects are framed best.
Old 30-01-2015, 02:42 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi matt,

as Dunk as mentioned different scopes are better for different targets.
I would suggest an 8" reflector ($450 on the website you linked or $750 for the carbon fibre) as they are bit of an allrounder. Take a look at Justin tillbrook photos at what is achievable with a similar setup.

obviously with that it leaves a lot of extra $ left over, but once you factor in other accessories - especially for guiding images it will dry up very quickly.

- coma corrector (eg, baader MPCC or RCC I)
- Off axis guider (eg TSOAG9)
- guide camera. (eg lodestar, Qhy5 ii, asi 120mm)
- light pollution filter (eg astronomic cls-ccd)
- shoestring usb shutter control
- upgraded focuser (eg moonlite or feathertouch)

cheers

rusty

Last edited by rustigsmed; 30-01-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 30-01-2015, 03:08 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

have you had a telescope/mount before
i suggest you seek out the asv or mpas astro society's & talk to the imagers there
Old 30-01-2015, 03:34 PM
mtfreestyler (Matt)

Sorry guys I really should have mentioned what I was hoping to take photos of.

I intend on being able to image things like the Orion nebula M42, Comet Lovejoy, Horsehead and flame and planets. Also wouldn't mind doing some mosaics of the moon. Nebulae are my favorite though due the colours and variety.

If only there was an easy way to let you know what focal range I want

I have been to the last ASV star b que where I spoke to a few people about their setups and that is why I'm pretty set with the NEQ6 but it has been a while since then and can't remember their recommendations on scopes.

I know there is a lot more to buy after the scope but this is just the budget for the scope and I will be adding more later on and I will budget that then.

Thanks for the replies
Old 30-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Yeah the focal length of the scope makes a lot of difference to the image scale, for example I use a scope of ~350mm focal length to squeeze in Carina and Andromeda but there are lots of smaller objects that would be framed better in an 8" f/4 newt with ~800mm focal length. Orion nebula probably being one of them.

Ultimately, if you get into AP you're probably going to end up with a couple of scopes of different focal lengths for the different targets, it's just a question of what you pick first
Old 30-01-2015, 03:57 PM
mtfreestyler (Matt)

Well when I was at the ASV Star b que I met SimmoW with his setup and from his posts it says he has a Takahashi E130D which is 430mm and I liked what he was getting pics of so maybe around the 400 mark to start.

A Tak is a little more than I would like to spend though
Old 30-01-2015, 04:08 PM
killswitch (Edison)

If you already have zoom lenses for your 7D or 5D like a 70-200mm, you can start off with that. Lots of beautiful stuff in widefield.
Old 30-01-2015, 04:10 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfreestyler View Post
Sorry guys I really should have mentioned what I was hoping to take photos of.

I intend on being able to image things like the Orion nebula M42, Comet Lovejoy, Horsehead and flame and planets. Also wouldn't mind doing some mosaics of the moon. Nebulae are my favorite though due the colours and variety.

If only there was an easy way to let you know what focal range I want

I have been to the last ASV star b que where I spoke to a few people about their setups and that is why I'm pretty set with the NEQ6 but it has been a while since then and can't remember their recommendations on scopes.

I know there is a lot more to buy after the scope but this is just the budget for the scope and I will be adding more later on and I will budget that then.

Thanks for the replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Yeah the focal length of the scope makes a lot of difference to the image scale, for example I use a scope of ~350mm focal length to squeeze in Carina and Andromeda but there are lots of smaller objects that would be framed better in an 8" f/4 newt with ~800mm focal length. Orion nebula probably being one of them.

Ultimately, if you get into AP you're probably going to end up with a couple of scopes of different focal lengths for the different targets, it's just a question of what you pick first
if you want a refractor then go with something like a skywatcher ED80. if want more aperture a 8"newt. the mount is generally considered the most important bit of kit anyhow.
Old 30-01-2015, 04:28 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

For around the 400mm mark I'd suggest looking into the William Optics Star71 - it's a fairly new scope, but has some promising results over on Cloudy Nights, even with a full-frame camera. It is reasonably fast at f/4.9 with a focal length of ~350, and it'd give you a FOV a little under 6 degrees across.

The reason I know about this scope is I have my own eye on one I currently use the WO Zenithstar 71 which is the visual version that's been out a couple of years (that I use as a travel scope), but as the Zenithstar is only a doublet I get blue fringes around brighter stars. The Star71 is a triplet with two extra lenses for correcting/flattening the field so it'd give a nice sharp flat FOV.
Old 30-01-2015, 04:31 PM
mtfreestyler (Matt)

I have got a zoom lens for the DSLR but it is a kit 75-300mm so I don't think I'll get many good pics.

I have been doing a lot of wide field photos already though. I mostly do timelapses so I have plenty of milky way photos.

I do believe I may be heading for a refractive scope but is the ED80 good enough? I have heard of some scopes being APO's and some triplets and would like to know what is the generally accepted best one of those in my price range for what I want to image
Old 30-01-2015, 04:33 PM
mtfreestyler (Matt)

Thanks Dunk. I'm on my way home now but I'll look into that one for sure!

Damn thinking about it is getting exciting
Old 30-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Like Ed said, try your kit lens...stop it down a bit, until you can't see any lens inflicted wounds! On a tracking mount with a half decent polar alignment you should be good for 5+ minutes unguided. On a good night, I can get that with the Zenithstar on board.

When it comes to scopes, there are lots of choices. If Taks were cheap, we'd all buy them but having done some reading around this myself even THEY have their own set of issues. There's no perfect scope.

The Star71 is an interesting recent entrant into the market. It's hard to go wrong with an ED80, especially if the focal length hits the spot. It's a known quantity, proven. But you'd be wanting to upgrade the focuser pretty much straight off and then at f/7.5 the reducer is a good addition.
Old 30-01-2015, 05:46 PM
mtfreestyler (Matt)

Sorry but after looking at the Star71 I think you may have sold me. It's beautiful!

Because it is 350mm can you get an attachment to increase that? Can Barlows be used?

Also do you have to buy them from overseas or is there an Aussie supplier? I can't find any so far with this one

Last edited by mtfreestyler; 30-01-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 30-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

yeah they make some beautiful scopes...the Zenithstar is similar only in red and white

It might be worth contacting Andrews Communications in Sydney as they sell a bunch of WO stuff, no doubt they could get one. Alternatively contact WO direct, as they would ship from the factory and you'd be less subject to US$ affected exchange rates.

I've no idea if you could use a Barlow though, I've never tried, but this is certainly an interesting point, but underscores why it's important to consider your choice and the focal length carefully. What I would do is calculate the FOV of your scopes of interest, and then use Sky Safari or Stellarium or similar to simulate how you would frame objects of interest.
Old 30-01-2015, 08:24 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfreestyler View Post
I have got a zoom lens for the DSLR but it is a kit 75-300mm so I don't think I'll get many good pics.

I have been doing a lot of wide field photos already though. I mostly do timelapses so I have plenty of milky way photos.

I do believe I may be heading for a refractive scope but is the ED80 good enough? I have heard of some scopes being APO's and some triplets and would like to know what is the generally accepted best one of those in my price range for what I want to image
Hi Matt,
Doublets like ED80 give good results and are proven performers. Triplets are great, but is heavier and pricier. Like everything, you get what you pay for. Reflectors have faster ratios, but tends to be less contrasty than refactors. They are very general comments, best to "try before you buy".
Bo
Old 01-02-2015, 12:57 AM
mtfreestyler (Matt)

I've just sent off an email to both Andrew's and WO's website so I will wait for the response and go from there. Hopefully there is a good price from one of them as it is looking like around $1400AU so far.

Looks like people in other forums have been using Barlows so that can help a bit to make it more versatile.

I just set up the Oculars plugin in Stellarium and it looks pretty good so far with the 6 degrees. No doubt I will want more resolution one day but I'll just figure that out then.

Bo, After being a photographer for a while I don't think I want to give up contrast and since I do timelapses a lot I have patience to stick around for some more shots to add more data to a stack so if the scope isn't as fast as a reflector I should be able to make up for it.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:21 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

As much as I like refractors, I'd be a bit more than tempted to put an 8 or 10 inch Newt on an EQ6.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:56 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I'd recommend the ED80 as well, they come up from time to time second hand as well at bargain prices. Get the skywatcher reducer flattener and make sure you stay with the stock focusser as that will be needed for the Skywatcher reducer. The stock focuser may need some tuning, but it's easily done. There is also a wider T adapter available (Bintel have them) which will allow you to use the 5DIII sensor to its full capabilities. You mentioned M42 here is an unremarkable image 50% crop) taken with the ED80 SW Focal reducer 5DII. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=111457 and one of M31 taken with the same gear uncropped. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=111455
Old 01-02-2015, 09:16 PM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

Ed80

Ed80 no question.