Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Intergage (Matt)

Paid for item now doing research - Need help

Well, I have bought a HD webcam (http://www.logitech.com/en-au/notebo...s/devices/7079) and I know the internals of it fairly well so I my plan is to take it apart and find a way to attach it to my normal 3x zoom lens then just use the lens like normal but use my laptop was a view finder.

Will this work or am I doing something completely wrong?

I want to take a couple of pictures of the moon and Jupiter tonight (if the weather holds up GRRR!!)
Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Should be feasible, I have a similar idea to pick up an older prime telephoto, preferably an old APO lens and add a webcam to the back at the focal plane point. It's just glass and tubes, another scope idea. I've just built a new lightweight guide scope using a 50mm bino objective and a screw focusser from a projector. Not super precise buts it's only for a widefeild guider so should work a treat.
Your real challenge is to get the CCD at the precise focal plane and perpendicular to the light axis. I've got a stripped Logitech Webcam which uses a plastic film can as the front tube to go into the focusser tube. Just wee PCB hanging off the back of the can and all works well.
Have fun !!

Last edited by ZeroID; 06-03-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Spelling correction ... DOH !