Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 05-06-2014, 02:03 AM
Elio

M13 w/RC8&dslr - stress test new Avalon M-Zero mount

Hi guys,
at first I apologize for missing here... unfortunately no new images with bad wheather

I'm back to share the results of the first "serious" night with the RC8 that has recently begun to be part of the family
Due to the moon I started late and I have gained few subs, because the setup used is new to me and I had to start to pick up confidence ...

Mr. Avalon has kindly offered an M-Zero mount to do some tests with the new little one, and just because I like to push it over, I loaded properly as you can see in the photo, going well beyond the scope of 10kg declared, touched around 15, and with a sampling of 0.54 arcsec / pixel in shooting at 1624mm and 280mm to about 3.5 in guide.

It was not a walk but after the first "settling" shots of the driving parameters I was able to tame it and I pulled out 18x300s subs at 1600iso with the 60D-CDS and idas filter, here the final result now, after 4 / 5 versions:

hi-res here http://astrobin.com/full/95420/G/

I must say that I was surprised to see how this little one has been able to carry a similar setup, border to physical limit, and goto system Stargo behaved admirably pointing almost in the center of M13 in the close field of 47x31' after one star alignment (Arturo) and alignment aided only by polar scope ...

The first test I would say that he passed with flying colors, although I still have to squeeze it pretty well, return it will be a real disappointment!

I hope you enjoy it, I'd like to have your comments and criticisms.

Greetings to all
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (m13_18x300_1600iso_60dcds_rc8-f8_fl70_mzero_rev5_RL-5-15k_forum.jpg)
164.6 KB161 views
Click for full-size image (Taka-Baby-FSQ-Avalon-M-Zero_forum.jpg)
91.9 KB260 views

Last edited by Elio; 06-06-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:09 AM
jsmoraes (Jorge)

Good photo, Elio. Despite your link is pointing to thumbs. You posted as http://astrob.in/95420/G/rawthumb/gallery/get.jpg, but the correct is http://www.astrobin.com/95420/G/

The stars have good color, and there is a faint galaxy -left down - as premium ! The core is very well resolved.

I liked to see that some stars inside the core are like to what I get with globulars. Some faint stars, that are very close, seems to be a little line. I thought that they are noise, but with a better look we can see that they are little stars. I reckon that this is because of resolution ability of sensor CMOS from DSLRs.

The mount did its work very well. And I believe that RCs is one of the best telescope to astrophotos. The image is very sharp, with low coma.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:48 AM
Elio

Thank you very much Jorge, I'm going crazy linking image with a thumbnail
Old 05-06-2014, 07:56 AM
Paul Haese

Very nice Elio. Colour is good and no field curvature.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:26 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Gorgeous cluster. Great star colours.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Elio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Very nice Elio. Colour is good and no field curvature.
Thank you Paul, yes RC8 works very well at f8, now I'm waiting for AP reducer to f5.6...

Thanks Marc
Old 06-06-2014, 03:37 PM
tilbrook@rbe.ne (Justin Tilbrook)
JHT

Beautiful work on M13 Elio!

Like your setup too.
Can't say I've heard of the mount that your using, certainly looks well finished and obviously works well.

Cheers,

Justin.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Elio

Thank you Justin

About the "little" mount you can find more info here
http://www.avalon-instruments.com/Prodotti

It's a new concept monoarm mount, like M-Uno and LinearFR, which use belt no backlash, avalon mounts had improved my imaging even better...I don't know why this powerful system is little known...

I will write my experience with these mounts soon