Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Need more data or faulty CCD?

I did 35 minutes exposure on B33 this morning (EARLY) before sunrise. Focus is STILL a little off, but colours are coming nicely, but I don't like the granulation - this SXVR-M25C OSC CCD has never been grainy like this before even with short exposure totals.

Collimation might be a TOUCH off (DED108SS 4 element refractor) too.

Opinions appreciated. Will be using the SBIG ST-8XE tonight
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (HHHssH.jpg)
56.4 KB60 views
Old 10-10-2013, 07:46 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

More data needed i think your just set the range to high to bring out the detail and overcooked it. Have you done cal? Still that dam nice for only 35 mins of data, I use 5min subs and stack for a better s/n ratio. Lol only new to ccd imaging so can't say to much.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:39 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Thanks Jay - here's the less cooked version. I again not fond of still being able to see the Bayer squares, which concerns me the cam is playing up. Though I did notice I also stacked some of the dawn frames mistakenly (note sunlight coming in at right ) This was stacked in DSS and processed in PI, so may try stacking in PI totally and check for differences.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (B33_Original_e_DBE.jpg)
69.4 KB40 views
Old 10-10-2013, 08:49 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Gawd that original post jpeg is full of artifact! YIK! Feel like deleting it in embarrassment! The second one above is less lossy/compressed.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:36 AM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

Have you put in any cal files darks, bais and flats cause it dosen't look like it if you have, maybe the flats worked but the darks failed (looks like bloom on the sides)? If you have just converted to colour or taken in colour and that's just and un-cal'd image then thats dam sweet. I've also found taking the images in color instead of raw has made less noise (maybe just luck or something atm not 100%) , i then strip it back to raw apply the cal's. After that i convert back to colour, align and stack, maxim does all this via batching thank god lol.

With maxim dl choose boxcar on your flats when using your OSC, this is because the bayer matrix can be damaged. Also try stacking in maxim dl, see those tuts i posted as it just seems to own DSS with even just using auto star match and then sum for your stacking. Need to get PI myself next on the list of to get, though i sure your image should work out much better.

Anyhow hope this might help ya out, only learning here myself maybe some has more experience or has your model and can make a comparison to let you know.