Old 08-08-2020, 12:05 AM
cspruit

Jupiter's Great Red Spot

Thought I'd just share this because I was pretty stoked about it last night! (And to say hello, I'm a bit new here).

So last night, I thought I'd get out my Saxon 8" dob before the rain and wind was due to start. Was showing my 4-yr old daughter Jupiter and Saturn then later on after she went to bed, at about 9pm I went back out when Jupiter was right overhead (and the dreaded moon starting to come up). So, minimal atmospheric heat effects and pollution.

To my astonishment I was able to clearly make out the Great Red Spot with my 10mm Plossl (generic one that came with the scope). I could also make out the swirls in the cloud bands. Colours came through - red spot, brown, yellowish and white cloud. This is in my backyard in metro Melbourne. First time in my life I've seen it. I've seen Jupiter a thousand times, including the 4 major moons.

I've been into astronomy since I was a kid growing up in western Victoria with my little cheap refractor. I'm convinced I could see more with that in the clear country skies than this big dob in the city, so looking forward to some trips once COVID settles down!
Old 08-08-2020, 10:17 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

8" dob plus dark skies, you're in for a treat!