Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 19-11-2008, 07:34 PM
RB (Andrew)

They should be cheaper Alex, just keep in mind if you have any issues you won't be covered by Canon warranty here in Oz.
The Canon 5D (original) has been removed from the Canon site which probably means production has stopped and only what's out in the market place will be available till sold out.
Given the 5D reputation, I think existing stock will be snapped up pretty quick.
The 5D is destined to be a 'collector's item' IMO.

Also I've been told Canon prices are set to rise by as much as 20% by the end of the year here in Oz.

And to top it off I've been offered a 5D MkII for $3800 firm, due in end of November, this supplier is only getting a very limited number first up.
Old 19-11-2008, 07:46 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

at 3800 I dare say you'll take that offer.

The warranty is an issue... However I've always bought grey imports before anyway, so its no different really...

Theres a few 5D's available here and there for 2599... do you think the mk 2 is worth 1100 more? I tend to think so... All I know is that the 350D is getting old (and im starting to want features it does not have)

Hrmm... Decisions decisions...
Old 19-11-2008, 08:00 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
at 3800 I dare say you'll take that offer.
Look at my avatar..... see .... I'm thinking about it.

Quote:
There's a few 5D's available here and there for 2599... do you think the mk 2 is worth 1100 more? I tend to think so...
Yes it is worth the extra 1100, it's 21mp and can take video clips using any of the existing EF lenses.
The video it produces is said to outperform the Nikon D90 which is claimed to produce the 'jello' effect when panning.

Quote:
All I know is that the 350D is getting old (and im starting to want features it does not have)

Hrmm... Decisions decisions...
The 350D is only laking Live Focus, it's still a damn fine body IMO and I prefer it over the 400D.
If you want it for astro use, get a 40D and later get it modded.
It's the best body for astro atm.

Me, I'm happy with my 20Da, does all I need for astro.
Old 19-11-2008, 08:04 PM
RB (Andrew)

BTW, check out this interview about the new Canon 5D MkII.
(I shouldn't watch this).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h_R2...eature=related

Old 19-11-2008, 08:22 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Its not for astro use at all (barring perhaps the odd lunar image), I have the QHY8 for astro imaging.. The 350D I have has done a fine job to date, however its now done quite a few shots (14k+) and whilst I'd keep it as my 2nd body/backup I'd just like a bit more resolution for printing purposes etc.. Live view isnt really on my "wish list" but its a nice addition.. Its image quality for terrestrial imaging would far surpass that of the 350D given the same lenses.. (namely, 17-40 F/4L 24-60 F/2.8 70-200 F/4L 300 F/2.8)

I would imagine for wild life photography (what I enjoy most) the AF system in the 5D would be better than that in the 350D also, more af points for better target tracking etc...
Old 19-11-2008, 09:00 PM
RB (Andrew)

Ah yes I forgot you have the QYH8.

If it's wildlife you want to shoot then the 5D is not really suited.
It is a FF sensor and it's only 3.5fps.
You need reach and frame rate.

The 40D has 6.5 fps but with 10mp, the 50D has 15mp and 6.3 fps so you can crop to your heart's content .
You can get the 40D for $1080 or the 50D for $1640.

The nice thing about the 50D is that it has a big 920k, 3" screen and has micro adjustable setting for all your lenses so you can preset them to perfect focus in case of back/front focusing issues and settings for anti-vignetting plus HDMI output and has new Digic IV processor.
Old 19-11-2008, 09:07 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Maybe I'll look into the 50D instead.. Cheers mate.
Old 19-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Andrew,

The reason why I'm disappointed is because it was touted as a breakthrough in performance for the price paid. I understand the 5D debuted at $5,000. I was going on the advice of retailers and really expected this baby to be between $3,000 and $3,500.

I'll still get one. It'll just mean that other astro goodies will have to wait their turn in the queue.

If you don't mind me asking, which retailer has made you the nice offer?

Regards,
Humayun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
I reckon the 5D MkII body only will be between $3800 and $4500 when it becomes available.
Don't forget the original 5D came in at $4999 originally.
The current street price of the original 5D is $2600-$2800 body only so the 5D MkII will be over $3k.
Old 19-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Phil,

I did have a look at Shopbot. There is such a variation in the body only price.

I look forward to getting it, soon.

Regards,
Humayun

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
Humayan, don't panic, the prices being quoted in OZ are $3785 up to $4199 max, for body only, any figures over $5K will be for the Kit including 24-105L Lens. Click on the shopbot link I last posted.
Old 21-11-2008, 08:52 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Andrew,

The reason why I'm disappointed is because it was touted as a breakthrough in performance for the price paid. I understand the 5D debuted at $5,000. I was going on the advice of retailers and really expected this baby to be between $3,000 and $3,500.

I'll still get one. It'll just mean that other astro goodies will have to wait their turn in the queue.
No doubt the $AU vs Yen had a big influence on the final price here.
It probably would have come in cheaper if the $AU was back up to where it was when the 5D MkII was about to be announced.
I'm disappointed too and was hoping it would be under or around $3.5k.
I suppose the reference to "breakthough in performance for the price paid" meant you are not only getting a full frame body with 21mp but also a 'video camera' capable of using any EF lens, so I suppose it's a breakthough in that respect compared to just a FF body price especially if you compare it to the 1Ds FF series.
Still it would be great to see the street price come down a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
If you don't mind me asking, which retailer has made you the nice offer?

Regards,
Humayun
I'll send you a PM.
I'm not going ahead with the purchase of the 5D MkII.
If the price goes up later then so be it, I don't like buying 'first batch' products anyway, no matter what they are.
You never know what probs they may have and I always advise such to others.
Not that I'm expecting any problems but it's just the way I am.

I am very eager to see what this little beauty can do !
Old 22-11-2008, 03:31 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I'm with you RB, I'm waiting, I suspect that Canon and other manufacturers will have to keep prices down or their market share will dry up. Once things pickup the $UA should rise and prices should fall. The 50D has been out for a while now and hasn't risen in price despite the falling dollar.
Old 23-11-2008, 10:20 AM
RB (Andrew)

Spot on Phil.
And both the 50D and 1000D has actually fallen in price at D-D Photographics.
The prices spiked then actually lowered again.

Old 24-11-2008, 09:20 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Canon has finally set a price on the OZ site at $4299, all but one of the dealers listed on shopbot are under the $4K mark.

I'm a little concerned that the 21 Mp sensor is simply the 50D sensor scaled up (pixel density is roughly equal), that sensor, while not bad, has been measured to have slightly less dynamic range and lower per pixel contrast than the 40D. The current crop of lenses including the L series lenses are reported to be struggling to keep up with the sensor resolution.

Can't wait to see some independant reviews.
Old 24-11-2008, 09:50 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

All but the most expensive L glass will bottleneck the sensor resolution... I think the 16-35/2.8 - 50/1.2 - 85/1.4 - 70-200/2.8 - 300/2.8 - 400/2.8/4DO 500&600F/4 will probably keep up, but what happens when 5Dmk3 comes out? is everyone going to be expected to update their lens collection in order to keep with the trend of the ever increasing megapixel, and ever dropping pixel size?

Seems a bit ridiculous
Old 24-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Benny L (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Yep it's unfortunate Phil that they can't squeeze in a flash on the FF bodies but believe me you're better off with a proper speedlight on top than just the popup.
Indeed! the pop-up flashes are useless anyway. They are sooo close to the lens that nearly every shot you take has red-eye of some sort, not to say you don't get red-eye with something like the 580ex though..

Also the pop-up flashes have a guide number of about 12 which means if you are shooting at f8 you will have to be roughly 1.5 metres away to attain correct exposure.. In addition if you have a longish lens like the 70-200 then you will likely have a lens shadow in your photographs..

Compare that to a 580ex with a guide number of 58 at 105mm f/l.. You can expose at f8 and be 7.25 metres away and achieve correct exposure.

The video thing doesn't excite me much but other than that the 5DII looks pretty cool.. especially if it out-performs its predecessor!

Shame I've been spoiled by a 1 series, otherwise I'd pre-order/buy one tomorrow
Old 26-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
If it's equivalent to $2699 US here it won't be too bad ($3500) and remember street price is always less than RRP. Now how can we get the $AU back up.....
Well this crowd want $5699 for it.
Old 26-11-2008, 01:17 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny
Indeed! the pop-up flashes are useless anyway
I'd have to disagree with you, I don't take flash photo's usually, but I do occasionally use the flash on my 20D for daytime fill and I don't see any need to fork out $600+ for something that works perfectly for me now. The pop up clears my most commonly used 17-70 Sigma lens and red eye isn't an issue during the day.
Old 26-11-2008, 05:16 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

They are not "useless" but they are certainly not useful either.

I find that a pop up flash is usually added as an item of convenience, rather than an actual feature. I wouldnt go back to using a popup flash again after being spoiled by the amount of speedlites I've used

(Nikon SB800 + 2x SB600's remote, Canon 580EX x2 one remote for backlight/front fill etc)
Old 28-11-2008, 09:34 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
All but the most expensive L glass will bottleneck the sensor resolution... I think the 16-35/2.8 - 50/1.2 - 85/1.4 - 70-200/2.8 - 300/2.8 - 400/2.8/4DO 500&600F/4 will probably keep up, but what happens when 5Dmk3 comes out? is everyone going to be expected to update their lens collection in order to keep with the trend of the ever increasing megapixel, and ever dropping pixel size?

Seems a bit ridiculous
These are high end cameras Alex, if you're going to buy a 5D MkII or indeed a 1D series body, it would be a waste sticking a Canon 18-55mm kit lens on there.
Not many people do that.
Most people choose their lens lineup carefully and have a range that suits their shooting style.

And as for the 5D MkIII, well lets see how the MkII performs first and worry about the megapixel race later.
Old 29-11-2008, 01:49 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Guess who placed a deposit on a new toy today?

Pick up date: second week of January.

Regards,
Humayun