Old 07-02-2007, 10:40 AM
duncan
Duncan

GSTAR-EX Camera

G,day all,

I've just been looking at adds and came across this one at MyAstroShop for $595.00. Considering the photo's taken with it,it looks like a pretty good thing.However i'm not up with all the tech talk yet on its specs.Perhaps some of you more knowledgable people out there could check this one out and let me know if there is anything wrong with it.
I intend using it with a 10"skywatcher on EQ6 mount for both planetary and DSO. The photo's look so good!.

Cheers,
Duncan
Old 07-02-2007, 10:51 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

There's a few G-Star EX users here, Chris (33South) is probably the most knowledgeable of them.. he helps write and debug some of the software written by Steve Massey.

Steve Quirk (also a forum member, Qakka) is the master of the G-Star, from the images I've seen.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:29 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

from teh pics i have seen it looks like an ok camera...
Old 07-02-2007, 11:35 AM
duncan
Duncan

Thanks guys,i've seen some of Steves work so i'll get in touch with him.Not to mention do some study to get up to date with terminology and what it all means.
Cheers,
Duncan
Old 08-02-2007, 08:25 AM
33South (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
Thanks guys,i've seen some of Steves work so i'll get in touch with him.Not to mention do some study to get up to date with terminology and what it all means.
Cheers,
Duncan
Yes the controls and all the settings can be quite daunting, even more so if you try to understand the one page sheet that comes with it from the manufacturers.

Step 1, bin that sheet and download the user guide from MyAstroShop.

Another thing you will quickly realise you need (must have) is the cable so you can adjust the settings from a laptop not the little buttons on the back. But that adds more problems in trying to get that to work but its well worth it.

I never used any other camera so Ive no reference to compare it to. But every time I use it, especially to show folks images on a tv monitor Im amazed at what you can see.

If you have any specific questions send me a PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:10 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

what magnitude is it good for as a live view chris?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:18 AM
duncan
Duncan

Hi,Ving,

I think it says something like 128 frames averaged out and refreshed evry 2.6 seconds. Showing a heck of a lot more than can be seen through the eyepiece. Don't know down to what mag.that would take you but it would be good from what i've read. Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
Duncan
Old 08-02-2007, 09:35 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hi duncan,
yeah sorta...

I am thinking of getting one of these too... but not for a while. I am gunna need a stack of brownie points!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:42 AM
duncan
Duncan

G,day,

Ving have a look at what they say at " My Astro Shop ". They have a whole heap on it including some very good pics through various scopes.
Be like me----------------Enjoy and drool.

Cheers,
Duncan
Old 08-02-2007, 01:12 PM
33South (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ving View Post
what magnitude is it good for as a live view chris?
Dont know what magnitude but a lot more than can be seen through the eyepiece.

This winter I think Ill be doing more indoor viewing, just need to get an electric focuser and some longer cables.

Not a live view but in a stacked image Steve Quirk has got to 19.8 with his 12" Newt.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:11 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

I may want one of these eventually also but like Ving will have to wait a while. I have an early GEM Mintron which operates in the same manner.

Ving, all my comet pics on this forum if you can remember them were taken with the GEM Mintron. The Gstar is better though.

There are a few other cameras out there that may be of interest. Mallincam colour hyper, Orion Starshoot deep sky version, Stellacam3 (Watec) and others.

To get any decent deep sky stills out of these cameras you have to stack as many frames as possible. You will need a video capture card in the PC, capture and editing software. I use Vidcap32 and videdit or VirtualDub. Then you load the avi into registax and let it track and stack.

The resolution of these cameras isn't that high, 768x576 with a good vidcap card. The pixel array in the camera is similar. You won't get any hi-res blowups from these "VGA" arrays. The frames often have analogue video artifacts noticable especially after post processing.

I dunno, I have mixed feelings about these low light video cameras. The technology just isn't keeping up with DSLR's, especially Canon. You can get a second hand 300D for less than a new Gstar. The pixel array is larger, it's single shot colour and you don't need it connected to a PC.

I still want a Gstar though, you can get nice images out of them with a bit of coaxing. Polar alignment or drives don't have to be accurate either. I can even get images from a home made wooden barn door mount and finger tracking!
Old 12-02-2007, 08:14 AM
33South (Chris)

You can also get live images on a monitor, two monitors in fact, I use a 6" portable b&W one that runs off a 12v battery along with the camera. This provides for group viewing, easier for little-ones to see, kind to eyepieces and indoors out of the cold if thats a problem.

The above would also apply to most low-light video cameras not just the GStar

Ving - it can easily show Mag15 with a 10" Newt and not just at darksky sites.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:55 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

sounds pretty good then.

time to save my $$$