Old 16-01-2014, 09:22 AM
JJDOBBER79 (Jas)

beginner ccd camera.

Hi all,
I am intersted in buying an entry level ccd. Now, I have had a look and I can get a planetary ccd for about $100. But if I spend $400 or $500 I can get something capable of DSO's. at least, this is what the sales pitch tells me. i was wondering if anyone has any feedback on what the best camera is below $500. Also, I believe people just connect them via RCA to a monitor, is this just for visual. Do you plug into a laptop via USB for imaging?
Old 16-01-2014, 10:56 AM
JJDOBBER79 (Jas)

I just read a great review of the zwo cameras as an entry level. i cant seem to find anyone who sells these in australia, any ideas?
Old 16-01-2014, 01:55 PM
JJDOBBER79 (Jas)

hahaha, I have just seen the ad for zwo down the rhs of this page. Also, I just read that DSO is pretty much impossible with a dob anyway.
Old 16-01-2014, 02:57 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

if you get one let us know how it goes. I wouldnt mind getting the $200 just for a bit of fun.

matt
Old 16-01-2014, 03:25 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

have you got a goto dob Jas?
Old 16-01-2014, 03:30 PM
brisen (Brian)

One thing I noticed a couple of weeks ago when I was looking around at CCDs as well was that some of the cheaper (entry level) units have a CMOS chip as opposed to a CCD chip. Ordinary digital cameras have a CMOS chip. I did see one which I cant think of at the moment which said it was a CCD chip and it was under $1 000 in price.

Brian
Old 17-01-2014, 07:29 AM
JJDOBBER79 (Jas)

no, I dont have goto so I realise that I will be limited to planetary imaging. That being the case I probably dont want to spend too much. there is no point getting something capable of DSO if I cant do that with my scope. I reckon the zwos are the way to go for me.
Old 17-01-2014, 11:29 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I have the ZWO ASI120mc, recently purchased. Still figuring out all it's clever bits but it does an awesome job on the moon and planets and supposedly is DSO capable although I haven't hada chance to test it in that area as yet. ( Dang Clouds !! )
I think as an entry level CCD\CMOS camera it's good value and comes with some good software. The latest ones also have a guiding output although I have yet to figure how to get this working.

Other than that you can use a normal webcam ( MS, Logitech or whatever ) to do planetary and lunar. Needs a bit of DIY to remove lens etc and add a nosepiece but works. And there are some 'long exposure' mods written up for some models to make them DSO capable. Cheaper but more fiddly to get going but there is plenty of generic software that will work with them, AmCap eg.

Now you're stepping into the fun part of astronomy, careful of the slippery slope ...
Old 18-01-2014, 11:31 AM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

I have had a ZWO 120MM for 2 years and it's a great camera to use on a dobs for lunar and planetary (and solar with the appropriate filters and films). It's very good value. It can be ordered from Optics Central or directly from the ZWO website.
Another option would be the QHY 5II which is pretty equivalent to the ZWO.
(http://www.modernastronomy.com/camer....html#QHY5L-II)

Cheers,

Eric