Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Red Nine (Evan)

27mm Pan vs 31mm Nagler

Hi all,

I'm looking to splurge and make the most of the final few days of the TeleVue sale. It's so tempting and I just wish it would end, however the savings are great and I'd rather spend a bit more now while they're available.

I currently have a 24mm Pan which I love. However, I'd really like to get a lower power eyepiece just for those larger widefield views - Eta Carina for example...

Anyway, having used neither I was just hoping to see what opinions were on the two. I have been leaning towards the 31mm Nag, however is considerably more expensive and heavier than the 27mm Pan. Which are big positives, allowing me to get some 2inch filters as well.

I just don't think there is a big enough gap between the 24mm Pan and the 27mm Pan to get it though... The 35mm Pan is out the of the question due to the exit pupil - my scope if f4.9.

Anyway, any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated Thanks!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:41 PM
koputai (Jason)

Evan, I have no exit pupil problems with my 35 Pan and 12" f/5 Dob. I do notice it when using the 40mm eyepiece though. If you could try one first, it might be worthwhile. The 35 Pan is an amazing price, almost half what it was a year ago, and it is a fantastic eyepiece.

I agree the 27mm is not enough of a step from the 24mm, so if your budget can stretch to it, the 31 Nag would be the pick of the two.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:03 PM
qld

try a 26 nagler t5 its got a bit more mag for allmost the same field of view also 82deg i think better value for money in the long rn and a good companion to the 31 nagler .i do have a 35 pan but its not in the hunt the 26 works well on my 10in 16 in and 25 in newtonians
Quote:
Originally Posted by koputai View Post
Evan, I have no exit pupil problems with my 35 Pan and 12" f/5 Dob. I do notice it when using the 40mm eyepiece though. If you could try one first, it might be worthwhile. The 35 Pan is an amazing price, almost half what it was a year ago, and it is a fantastic eyepiece.

I agree the 27mm is not enough of a step from the 24mm, so if your budget can stretch to it, the 31 Nag would be the pick of the two.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:02 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Hi,

I own a 27mm Panoptic and a 31mm Nagler. The 31mm Nagler is a much better eyepiece in every criterion except size and weight. I only have the 27mm pano because it is small and light and balances nicely in my 10" dob. IMO it is also too close to your 24mm Panoptic. Personally I prefer the 27mm Pano over the 24mm Pano because it is a lot more "immersive" IMO, notwithstanding the 24mm Pano is a touch sharper. Knowing what I know and knowing what I like, I would give a lot of consideration to buying a 26mm Nagler while the sale is on then selling your 24mm Panoptic when the sale has finished. Outside of size and weight the 26mm Nagler is a better eyepiece in every respect than the 24mm Pano. Personally I think the 31mm Nagler is overkill in a 12" scope and it is much better served by the 26mm Nagler which is a bit smaller and lighter and IMO a touch better optically than the 31mm.

Cheers,
John B
Old 08-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Red Nine (Evan)

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I shall have a look into the 26mm Nagler and compare the field of views et al between that and the 31mm.

I am very happy with the 24mm Panoptic and would probably prefer to keep it at this stage - mainly due to its size, weight and good all round capability. I suppose you can never have too many eyepieces right...

Last edited by Red Nine; 09-04-2011 at 12:04 AM.