ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-03-2017, 09:14 AM
skogpingvin (Bill)

What to put on an NEQ6?

Hi all, I've just divested myself of a small 6" SCT that I had on an NEQ6, and want to upgrade to something for astrophotography. I've been eyeing the carbon RC8 at Bintel, so I'm looking at somewhere around a grand and a half, but I'd also like a reducer so I can get wider fields. Does anyone know if there's a dedicated reducer for the RC8, and if so, does it cause any chromatic aberration?

Any other suggestions for an astrograph in about this price range?

Another question - a really dumb one, I'm sure. I've been using an Orion 500mm mini guide scope, and I just can't figure out how it attaches to the small (Vixen) rail which is on the top of the RC8. The instructions say it just goes on - but how??!

Bill
Old 25-03-2017, 09:48 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I'd personally suggest getting an 8" F/4 or F/5 and a coma corrector than dealing with the RC8 and focal reducer.
Collimating a RC8 is considerably more painful than an 8" newt.

As for connecting the guide scope, I am guessing a 2x maybe M4-6 bolts will be all thats needed. The vixen plate should have holes all over it for just such a purpose
Old 25-03-2017, 01:23 PM
skogpingvin (Bill)

So something like this?

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/sk...f-imaging-ota/

Faster f/ ratio, which is good. Anyone got any thoughts about this scope?

Why is recollimating an RC harder than a Newt?
Old 25-03-2017, 02:27 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Or you could go for a refractor. No need to worry about collimation. Plus you can get one of those twin vixen finder stalks for the finder and 50mm mini guider side by side set up.
Bo
Old 25-03-2017, 06:10 PM
skogpingvin (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Or you could go for a refractor.
I suspect this is an age-old question, like "which is better, Sydney or Melbourne", or "is that a Brown Goshawk or a Collared Sparrowhawk" (oops, wrong forum).
Old 25-03-2017, 11:35 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogpingvin View Post
So something like this?

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/sk...f-imaging-ota/

Faster f/ ratio, which is good. Anyone got any thoughts about this scope?

Why is recollimating an RC harder than a Newt?
With Colin on this one. That would be a good scope with a coma corrector - Skywatcher sell a CC that has good reviews and will fit (I have the 10inch version of that scope and it is really good). You will need to regularly refocus at f4, so factor in an add-on stepper motor drive and controller (should be able to find one that fits the shaft of that focuser). The Skywatcher focuser itself is OK for loads up to about 1kg, but a new focuser (eg a moonlite) would be a good idea if you are wanting to use heavy cameras.

if you do get a CF scope, be prepared for dew - I wrapped mine in Al tape to reduce the sky cooling (worked well) and you will need a fan to keep up some airflow in the OTA. Also, Skywatcher used water soluble flat black paint inside the OTA and it ran all over the place when it dewed up - recoating with blackboard paint fixed it.
Old 26-03-2017, 12:38 PM
skogpingvin (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
With Colin on this one. That would be a good scope with a coma corrector - Skywatcher sell a CC that has good reviews and will fit (I have the 10inch version of that scope and it is really good). You will need to regularly refocus at f4, so factor in an add-on stepper motor drive and controller (should be able to find one that fits the shaft of that focuser). The Skywatcher focuser itself is OK for loads up to about 1kg, but a new focuser (eg a moonlite) would be a good idea if you are wanting to use heavy cameras.

if you do get a CF scope, be prepared for dew - I wrapped mine in Al tape to reduce the sky cooling (worked well) and you will need a fan to keep up some airflow in the OTA.
I'm really sorry, but I'm finding your post bit confusing, Shiraz.

I Googled "CF scope", but can't figure out what that is. (Edit: Ahh! Carbon Fibre!)

And "Al tape" - is that aluminium foil that is used like a space blanket?

I'm uncertain which way to jump. I'm still toying with the idea of lashing out on an Espirit 100 ED, but for that sort of money I could afford the f/4 200mm Newt, plus a coma corrector and a remote focuser and heavy-duty focus rack (yes I'll be dangling a DSLR off it).

Bill

Last edited by skogpingvin; 26-03-2017 at 12:52 PM. Reason: More info on what "CF" is.
Old 27-03-2017, 07:24 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
I'm uncertain which way to jump.
"african or european swallow?" Which is the best suited tool for your needs? Ignore how much gear you can get for your buck, if its the wrong choice for you its just the wrong choice. But do consider what gear you and the scope needs to do justice to the purchase and get the most use and enjoyment from it. Or aim for both, there is no "one scope to rule them all".
Old 31-03-2017, 06:38 PM
skogpingvin (Bill)

I'm still thinking, although I've finally sold the Meade.

I think I'm going to go the Esprit 100 ED triplet. That'll sit nicely on my NEQ6 and has a good wide field for DSOs, which also means the Orion 50mm will do a good job with the autoguiding.

The other advantage is that it's a lot less prone to dew. I plan to use Wyperfeld as my dark sky site, and there's no power there, and the fewer electric bits and bobs that I have to run for dew zapping the better.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:21 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

My Esprit 100 is a scope I will never sell...

Rides beautifully on the EQ6. What it will do, however, is show up any deficiencies in your camera
Old 02-04-2017, 03:06 PM
skogpingvin (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
My Esprit 100 is a scope I will never sell...

Rides beautifully on the EQ6. What it will do, however, is show up any deficiencies in your camera
Oh? Do tell...? Is it a DSLR you're talking about or a CCD?
Old 02-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

It's very sharp I went from a Canon 1100D up to the ASI1600 and it's a big upgrade. Lots of resolution from the Esprit and 1600 with its small pixels on a good night. On a bad night, it's not a fault of the scope but the atmosphere...
Old 05-04-2017, 08:54 PM
skogpingvin (Bill)

Hmm, just talked with Cris at Astronomy Alive who wants to sell me a Sharpstar AL 107PH APO instead. On paper it looks like a great scope - anyone know much about it?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:23 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Quote:
Hmm, just talked with Cris at Astronomy Alive who wants to sell me a Sharpstar AL 107PH APO instead. On paper it looks like a great scope - anyone know much about it?
Yes, similar to the Astrotech 106. FPL 53 lens. I have one and it is a great scope, colour free. Mine is mounted on an EQ6 and is just so solid. The price is right at the moment.
Old 13-04-2017, 05:03 PM
skogpingvin (Bill)

I got the Sharpstar. It looks great on the NEQ6, but I'm still waiting for a 3.5 inch drawtube extender for the 2" barrel, a I didn't get a prism for observation. I'm also waiting for a stepdown adapter that will allow me to put my Pentax t-ring onto the end of the reducer/flattener. So no, I can't actually see though the scope yet - how frustrating is that!?

It's wonderfully small, coming in a nice box that will easily fit in the boot of the car with the NEQ6. Now I'm just looking forward to being able to get that "first light" feeling!

Bill
Old 13-04-2017, 09:23 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Looks like a nice scope, but the Esprit comes with field flattener, 2" diagonal and finder scope and is faster for imaging at f/5.5...
Old 14-04-2017, 09:40 AM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Quote:
I got the Sharpstar. It looks great on the NEQ6, but I'm still waiting for a 3.5 inch drawtube extender for the 2" barrel, a I didn't get a prism for observation. I'm also waiting for a stepdown adapter that will allow me to put my Pentax t-ring onto the end of the reducer/flattener. So no, I can't actually see though the scope yet - how frustrating is that!?

It's wonderfully small, coming in a nice box that will easily fit in the boot of the car with the NEQ6. Now I'm just looking forward to being able to get that "first light" feeling!

Bill
A great choice! The lack of focuser travel I is my only complaint. Mine is an early model and has only 80mm of travel. I hope the newer models have more, or you may need more than 3.5" of extension to view straight through.
Old 14-04-2017, 12:30 PM
skogpingvin (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
A great choice! The lack of focuser travel I is my only complaint. Mine is an early model and has only 80mm of travel. I hope the newer models have more, or you may need more than 3.5" of extension to view straight through.
Yes, my model has 110 mm of focus travel (it's the Spinal Tap version - it goes up to 11). I set it up to view an object on the horizon and then danled an eyepiece so I could get focus. The gap was about 3.5" when the focus rack was around half way out, so I think I got the right one!