Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 12-08-2020, 05:29 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Another lagoon

Well, it's that time of year again and when you have a new set of NB filters and want to give them a test drive, why not trusty old M8?

I've solved the mechanical issues that were giving rise to collimation shift, but now have some tilt again... sigh. Good news is, you can't really see the tilt so much with so few/small stars!

I was also graced with some good seeing for some of this, which has been very rare this year... could certainly do with some more of that.

Big one here:

https://www.astrobin.com/full/bre26x
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Lagoon_SHO_sml.jpg)
112.5 KB69 views
Old 12-08-2020, 05:39 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Wonderful resolution Lee, you were really blessed with some good seeing!

How are you finding the new narrowband filters? I’ve not heard many reports in regards to them.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:15 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Thanks Colin :-)

The new filters are pretty good. O does suffer from halos, but I think I can live with them. The brightest star in this FOV is 7 Sagittarii which is mag 5.37 and it showed a halo... but it also basically disappeared in the full SHO image without any effort on my part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (7sagittarii_antlia_OIII.jpg)
22.4 KB28 views
Old 12-08-2020, 07:32 PM
gregbradley

A fabulous image. How did you get your stars so small? They look amazing.

Terrific resolution on the hour glass nebula.

Another stunner.

Greg.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:49 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Yeah great work Lee, a cool coloured version with plenty of lovely detail

Mike
Old 12-08-2020, 07:49 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Thanks Colin :-)

The new filters are pretty good. O does suffer from halos, but I think I can live with them. The brightest star in this FOV is 7 Sagittarii which is mag 5.37 and it showed a halo... but it also basically disappeared in the full SHO image without any effort on my part.
Still has me thinking Chroma if I do go a set of 2". Some of their earlier batches did have some halos but they've worked hard after user feed back and managed to eliminate with dual AR coatings or something. Antila is CONSIDERABLY cheaper though and for the price that's a pretty minor halo

They definitely resolve well though!
Old 12-08-2020, 09:02 PM
pkinchington (Peter (Kanga))

Lovely depth and smooth transitions. What set up (telescope and camera) did you use Codemonkey?.
Cheers Kanga

Last edited by pkinchington; 12-08-2020 at 09:06 PM. Reason: wrong name used.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:19 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Gee...that has exceptional resolution.

Beautifully tight stars, filigree details and smooth data.

I'd be hard pushed to find a better Narrow Band Lagoon on the web.

Top-shelf stuff.
Old 13-08-2020, 08:25 AM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Getting tired of seeing the same objects imaged over, and over ..... and over! ....
EXCEPT when they have the exquisite detail and colours of your beautiful rendition Lee! Very nicely done!
Old 13-08-2020, 08:43 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Yes, another great result Lee!
Framed this way it's like being at Sydney Aquarium, looking into one of the giant fish tanks as the diaphinous jellyfish like core of the Lagoon swims gracefully by.
Will be interesting to see how the new filters perform on dimmer objects.
Old 13-08-2020, 09:32 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That's an awesome M8 Lee. New benchmark.
Old 13-08-2020, 10:30 AM
Paul Haese

That is a lovely image Lee. Sharp detail and processed beautifully. Well done.
Old 13-08-2020, 10:35 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Having another look at this excellent image Lee ...have to say, once again you have clearly demonstrated the level of misguided cynicism of the occasionally stated belief, that medium focal length with small pixels, produces vanilla images and only "long"..? focal length can hit the mark, you da man

Love yer work dude

Mike
Old 13-08-2020, 10:09 PM
Craig_

Absolutely stunning rendition of M8.
Old 13-08-2020, 10:39 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Sharp, lots of detail and plenty to like with this image. Great work
Old 14-08-2020, 07:06 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A fabulous image. How did you get your stars so small? They look amazing.

Terrific resolution on the hour glass nebula.

Another stunner.

Greg.
Thanks very much Greg :-) The trick with the stars is to use narrowband stars (typically H) for the luminance and RGB for the chrominance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Still has me thinking Chroma if I do go a set of 2". Some of their earlier batches did have some halos but they've worked hard after user feed back and managed to eliminate with dual AR coatings or something. Antila is CONSIDERABLY cheaper though and for the price that's a pretty minor halo

They definitely resolve well though!
Yeah, if you have the money Chroma/Astrodon are definitely the way to go. I've now done an actual comparison with my Astronomik O filter and the Astronomik is much better than the Antlia with regard to halo. Unfortunately the use of an OAG and desire to do LRGB and NB on the same night (automated) mean I can't continue to use the Astronomik, so that's out... I may end up getting an Astrodon 3nm O filter down the line, but I'm very happy with the Antlia S and H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinchington View Post
Lovely depth and smooth transitions. What set up (telescope and camera) did you use Codemonkey?.
Cheers Kanga
Thanks Kanga The scope used was the TS ONTC 8" F4.5 newtonian, with an odd Paracorr that brings it to F5. Camera was an ASI 183mm Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Gee...that has exceptional resolution.

Beautifully tight stars, filigree details and smooth data.

I'd be hard pushed to find a better Narrow Band Lagoon on the web.

Top-shelf stuff.
Thanks very much Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Getting tired of seeing the same objects imaged over, and over ..... and over! ....
EXCEPT when they have the exquisite detail and colours of your beautiful rendition Lee! Very nicely done!
haha, thanks Marcus That's the sad thing about "common" subjects, you can do a great job but most of the time nobody cares because it's just another image of that same old target. Glad you like this one though :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Yes, another great result Lee!
Framed this way it's like being at Sydney Aquarium, looking into one of the giant fish tanks as the diaphinous jellyfish like core of the Lagoon swims gracefully by.
Will be interesting to see how the new filters perform on dimmer objects.
Thanks Andy! My wife also thought it looked like an aquarium. I'm sold on the Antlia S and H, I expect they'll work fine on targets dim or bright, but the O halos will be annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
That's an awesome M8 Lee. New benchmark.
Thanks Marc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
That is a lovely image Lee. Sharp detail and processed beautifully. Well done.
Thanks very much Paul :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Having another look at this excellent image Lee ...have to say, once again you have clearly demonstrated the level of misguided cynicism of the occasionally stated belief, that medium focal length with small pixels, produces vanilla images and only "long"..? focal length can hit the mark, you da man

Love yer work dude

Mike
Thanks Mike! Yeah, I don't get the fascination with long focal length scopes. It's all about sampling... 0.5"/px is 0.5"/px, doesn't matter if you're 3m or 1m. Of course you need at least a little bit of aperture to go with it, but other than that...

I had been planning on building a bigger (12" or so) newt to put on the Mesu, but I'm just gonna keep the 8" newt... when you do the math, it's actually pretty hard to beat. I could go a bit longer focal length and move to F4, but I honestly have more than enough difficulty with the F5, I do not want to get a faster scope that requires so much fiddling to get good stars.

Maybe one day as a retirement present I'lll get myself a CDK or something (mostly because I really hate fiddling with newts) but until then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_ View Post
Absolutely stunning rendition of M8.
Thanks Craig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Sharp, lots of detail and plenty to like with this image. Great work
Thanks very much Rodney
Old 14-08-2020, 09:24 AM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
haha, thanks Marcus That's the sad thing about "common" subjects, you can do a great job but most of the time nobody cares because it's just another image of that same old target. ...
Agreed! I look at all of them closely though because I'm always interested to see if the photographer has created something special that stands out from the crowd (including my humble efforts). Your image does that in spades!

I dunno though, sometimes I actually think people here overlook objects that are not so familiar and only single out commonly imaged objects for comment because they have a familiar frame of reference on which to pass critique.
Old 14-08-2020, 04:35 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I reckon you should feel free to image whatever you like regardless of what people say or think is a popular target, or "done to death", or M42, or NGC6188, or NGC3372 , etc...

We now see threads like "oh no another ..." or "sorry another ..." and emojis in the comments like or

C'mon... who comes up with these rules. All you're going to do is make newcomers uncomfortable imaging standard stuff and seasoned imagers have performance anxiety if someone points out one corner pixel out of whack in their M42 taken with a supa doopa rig

Of course M8 doesn't fit in that bag so it doesn't count. Not imaging it is simply unaustralian.

Ok, I'll go back and image Eta and M8 for the nth time.
Old 14-08-2020, 08:25 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I reckon you should feel free to image whatever you like regardless of what people say or think is a popular target, or "done to death", or M42, or NGC6188, or NGC3372 , etc...

We now see threads like "oh no another ..." or "sorry another ..." and emojis in the comments like or

C'mon... who comes up with these rules. All you're going to do is make newcomers uncomfortable imaging standard stuff and seasoned imagers have performance anxiety if someone points out one corner pixel out of whack in their M42 taken with a supa doopa rig

Of course M8 doesn't fit in that bag so it doesn't count. Not imaging it is simply unaustralian.

Ok, I'll go back and image Eta and M8 for the nth time.
Yeah I know, or like pointing out a perceived minor flaw in less than 1% of the image area, or some cryptic issue with the colour of a tiny portion of a nebula in a 16 square degree image

Old 14-08-2020, 09:47 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yeah I know, or like pointing out a perceived minor flaw in less than 1% of the image area, or some cryptic issue with the colour of a tiny portion of a nebula in a 16 square degree image

I rest my case.