Old 23-07-2012, 12:44 PM
whzzz28 (Nathan)

Filter wheel replacement

Ok, so the QHY9 filter wheel just does not fit with my setup. The plastic motor/electronics cover is in the way, so now i am looking at replacing it (only had it for a week as well!). So here comes another wad of cash for a FW and filters...

The logical replacement is an SX wheel, but i thought i would get confirmation on my idea before purchasing in case i have left something out.

Back focus needed: 55mm.
QHY9 sensor to edge: 15mm
QHY window: 12mm
SX filter wheel: 29mm (including adapters according to their site)
So thats 56mm, on top of the 2-3mm for filters.
This will be fine, yes?

So it will be: Focuser -> FF/reducer -> FW -> QHY window -> QHY9.
No spacers.

I will probably purchase an OAG at the same time as i do plan on getting an RC at some point in the near future (Vixen VC200L or Meade LX200 are looking good). Can't use the OAG with the refractors as the back focus on the FF/reducer isn't enough.

I also planned on getting the 36mm 7 position wheel so i can throw some NB filters in as well. I have seen advice that this won't generate any vignetting, but i'm not so sure about that... Theres a good 34~mm to the filters...
Otherwise i guess i'll make do with a 2" and have to change the wheels.

My FF/reducer's has a t-thread male adapter so i guess the SXUFW-UM36T is what i am after (Connections T-Thread female i/p & male o/p.)?

With this i can finally use the Televue RFL-4087 reducer ive had sitting around doing nothing. Sadly i can't put a 2.5" moonlite focuser on my Meade ED80, or i'd be all over that as well - so i'll just have to make do with the Hotech FF.

Thanks.
Old 23-07-2012, 02:20 PM
TheDecepticon

I have an SX 36 mm wheel, and it fits into my setup very well, it is a good bit of gear. I am using a Tak reducer and my distance is 117mm so it is easier to fit in. I don't use the window on the QHY9, I have it mounted directly to the camera. That's just personal choice.

The only complaint that I have is that the wheel can be a bit tempermental, even on a good powered hub. There is a firmware update from SX if you are using a 64 bit system. Some people advise to switch the auto reverse function off as it works better. Haven't got any data on that one myself, however, I took the advice and used it.

If the filters weren't so dear, I would have gone for the FLI wheel, the CFW 8, I think I looked at.

Swapping filters and wheels is definately a pain if you want to do narrow band and LRGB. This wheel definately simplifies that.
Old 23-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whzzz28 View Post

With this i can finally use the Televue RFL-4087 reducer ive had sitting around doing nothing. Sadly i can't put a 2.5" moonlite focuser on my Meade ED80, or i'd be all over that as well - so i'll just have to make do with the Hotech FF...
I am sure if you contact Ron of MoonLite he'll be able to fit you out with a custom adapter that will enable you to use the 2.5" ML focuser on your Meade80 - I got my 2.5" ML to fit my SW Equinox80 (when it was supposed to be used with the standard 2" model of ML focuser) by using his custom adapter (cost US$60) thus saving me having two different sizes of focuser

YMMV

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Old 23-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Nathan,
Filters add about a third of their thickness to path length so it's really not worth adding if you use 2mm baaders.

I had my qhy9 setup like that, qhy9->nose->sx wheel->mpcc on a newt and it was fine. The mpcc needs 55mm. I used to plug a cheap orion oag into the wheel and used it with the RC8 and it was fine too.

I miss my 7 position wheel though, I'm waiting to find a decent lightweight alternative for 50mm filters
robin.
Old 23-07-2012, 07:59 PM
TheDecepticon

Hi Robin,

QHY are working on a multiple filter, multiple plate filter wheel so you can do more than 5 at a time.

Now...where did those links go?

Are you a member of the QHYCCD forum? The topic is there and the thread is called "Sneak peak at QHY7 and QHY11 cameras"

Cheers.
Old 23-07-2012, 08:14 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

I use a FLI 2-7 FW with my QHY9 but my FF is ideal at 105 - 110mm. Your FF/FR sounds like it was made for a DSLR rather then CCD camera. The FLI unit is very heavy but allows seven 2 inch filters to be used and is absolutely spot on in pecision as well as being extremely fast. They are not cheap.

Mark
Old 23-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDecepticon View Post
Hi Robin,

QHY are working on a multiple filter, multiple plate filter wheel so you can do more than 5 at a time.

Now...where did those links go?

Are you a member of the QHYCCD forum? The topic is there and the thread is called "Sneak peak at QHY7 and QHY11 cameras"

Cheers.
Yeah sure thing gray, I can link you to a 2010 thread that says they will be releasing a 36mm filter plate and filters in 2011. (post 5)
Believe it when I see it I'm afraid.

Last edited by Tandum; 23-07-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 24-07-2012, 08:08 AM
whzzz28 (Nathan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
Yeah sure thing gray, I can link you to a 2010 thread that says they will be releasing a 36mm filter plate and filters in 2011. (post 5)
Believe it when I see it I'm afraid.
Yeah that never eventuated. The other filter wheel has been in development since 2011 as well. I'm not holding my breath.

Money is tight at the moment so i may need to put the filter wheel idea on hold for a few months. In the mean time i need to try and find an M54 Male to M42 female adapter... Boy arn't they rare!

QHY sells one, but Theo appears to have disappeared. He isn't responding to emails.

FLO and OPT both sell an Atik version, and both are out of stock (backordered)...

Trying to get one before Astrofest, but this really isn't helping.
Old 24-07-2012, 09:06 AM
TheDecepticon

LOL! We can only live in hope, Robin!
Old 25-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Poita (Peter)

I Love my little filter draw, wheels drive me around the bend and I am lucky if I get through one colour a night anyway
Old 26-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Gama

Quote:
Originally Posted by whzzz28 View Post

QHY sells one, but Theo appears to have disappeared. He isn't responding to emails.
Thats incorrect.
I have responded to your emails. If your not getting them, check your "Junk Box" or similar.
I also sent you a "Private message" from here, and again, if you havent received it, then you need to check your end.
As a final last attempt, you can always Call me to see whats happening..

Theo
Old 27-07-2012, 08:25 AM
whzzz28 (Nathan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gama View Post
Thats incorrect.
I have responded to your emails. If your not getting them, check your "Junk Box" or similar.
I also sent you a "Private message" from here, and again, if you havent received it, then you need to check your end.
As a final last attempt, you can always Call me to see whats happening..

Theo
Odd, i didn't get any emails from the two email addresses i sent from - nothing in spam either.
Sorted anywho, found an adapter.