Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports

Old 05-08-2011, 05:20 PM
orestis

R Coronae Australis Sketch and Obs Report 4/8/11

Hi Everyone,

Nice and clear and warm temperatures to do some quality astronomy in.

Seeing was pretty good being able to split Antares at 166x though the companian was still quite close.Cresent moon around so not too much Deep Sky observing.

Decided to observe another double-

Gamma Coronae Australis: A very close double .was split with minimal seperation at 333x.They are of yellow-white colour and of roughly equal brightness.They are positioned in a N-S line.

Close by there is an amazing nebula complex and Glob that I could not miss.

NGC 6726/27 + Glob NGC 6723: This Reflection nebula complex is simply stunning and there is also a very nice glob close by.Using the 26mm plossol (57x) I could place all the objects in the FOV.Lets start with the globular the glob is fairly large with medium concentration and all stars resolved.It is fairly uniform in shape and has a bluish-white tinge to all its stars.Travelling towards the SE I came upon a Brilliantly bright pair of yellow stars of wide seperation.To the north of the yellow double stars there is another pair of stars but more widely seperated and orientated 90* to the Yellow bright pair.These are the stars that have lots of nebulosity surrounding them.In averted vision the nebulosity seems sort of circular surrounding both stars and quite bright.towards the east of these stars there is a small triangular patch of nebulosity surrounding a star and fanning off towards another fainter star.

I wanted to take a closer look at the triangular patch of nebulosity that surronds the variable star R Coronae Australis.At 500x it filled the FOV and was better observed.I made a sketch which shows all the details visble at the time using A'vision,See sketch attached.

NGC 7213: Though the moon was out I decided to at least observed one galaxy and Ngc 7213 was bright.Found near Alpha Gruis.Small spherical patch surrounding a star like core.

NGC 7009: I have never seen this PNE before and had heard many good stories about it so decided to check it out.At low power it was very bright and concetrated.It has an Aqua Cyan colour.In higher powers it was seen to have a bright Cyan coloured featureless ellipse(facing W-E) with no central star.Coming off the sides of the ellipse were 2 arms stretching out about half the distance to the center of the ellipse.In averted vision I noticed tiny little nodules on the edges of the arms which I remember Sab talking about.Was quite an object.

Scanned the milky way and then Packed up because I had school the next day.All in all an awesome night,and I am glad I made a sketch of R coronae Nebula so I can check it out in a months time and see if I can notice any change.

Thanks for taking the time to read my report
Regards Orestis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (R Coronae Australis IIS.JPG)
138.7 KB34 views

Last edited by orestis; 05-08-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-08-2011, 08:03 PM
pgc hunter

Hey Orestis

How sweet was this warm weather we've been having?!

Great observations once again. Loved your description of NGC 7009, aka the "Saturn Nebula" that's a great effort well done. Yes, I've seen the "ansae" from my place, but is very difficult (thanks light pollution) and you'll want the best possible transparency and dark skies to really get the best out of this object. You did well to spot those extensions, AND the knobs on the tips
Old 06-08-2011, 09:54 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Very cool work, Orestis!

Nice report & that sketch, mate, very good detail you've pulled out of the scope. Very nicely done to provide yourself with a comparison platform for down the track. Good thinking!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:10 PM
orestis

Thanks Sab and Alex,

The weather has been great.I hope it gets better from here on.

Clears skies
Cheers Orestis
Old 09-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Great report Orestis. You are really getting some nice detail in your observations and wording the whole thing in a very readable way. And a great sketch as well. You really get some good stuff out of your new scope.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:28 PM
big_dav_2001 (Davin)

Great report Orestis!

Always good to see a report from someone using the same scope, I'll definitely give these targets a go, although, with my light polluted skies, I doubt I'll get as much detail. Im gunna keep an eye out for more reports and target ideas from you. Well done mate

Davin
Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 PM
orestis

Thanks Paddy and Davin,

Davin-If you get the chance to do some observing no matter how detailed just post it in the obs report forum we would love to read it.

Cheers Orestis