Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 07-09-2020, 01:54 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)
Neo - as in Dr Neo Cortex

CGX EQ - Balance Southern Hemisphere

Hi There,

Finally have moved from ALT/AZ to EQ, essentially for better tracking with imaging.

My understanding is to use our version of the south polar star for allignment, but what interests me, is whether the mount should be balanced "east or west" heavy ?

For northern hemisphere, I understand it is east, would it not be slightly balanced to the west for southern users ?

Cheers,

Lance
Old 07-09-2020, 02:09 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I believe the CGX is a belt system which usually means it should be balanced on both sides. Should be no bias in either direction.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:51 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Lance,
If it does need a slight "imbalance" to reduce slop then slightly load it up on the East.
This means that the RA drive is always driving against a load and any backlash is reduced.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:46 PM
glend (Glen)

I have a CGX, on a pier in my observatory, and yes it is a belt driven mount with spring loaded worms, so it is not as sloppy as some of the gear driven mounts. That said I do still run just a tad of east heavy balance, probably more out of old habit than pure necessity. For visual use i would not worry about it at all, but if your imaging with guiding, sure. Be aware that the CGX can image across the Meridian by 20°, and is usually ok through that process, at least in my experience. If your imaging with scopes which exhibit mirror flop then you will need to 'supervise' at the Meridian.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:50 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

As the old saying goes :
Scope on the east, counterweights least. Scope on the west, counterweights best
Old 07-09-2020, 05:49 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
I believe the CGX is a belt system which usually means it should be balanced on both sides. Should be no bias in either direction.
Who mentioned CGX in the post ? How are you aware I was going to use a CGX
Old 07-09-2020, 05:52 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Don't worry about me - I'm an idiot, it was in the header - lol
Old 07-09-2020, 06:01 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I have a CGX, on a pier in my observatory, and yes it is a belt driven mount with spring loaded worms, so it is not as sloppy as some of the gear driven mounts. That said I do still run just a tad of east heavy balance, probably more out of old habit than pure necessity. For visual use i would not worry about it at all, but if your imaging with guiding, sure. Be aware that the CGX can image across the Meridian by 20°, and is usually ok through that process, at least in my experience. If your imaging with scopes which exhibit mirror flop then you will need to 'supervise' at the Meridian.
Thanks,

How much is a "tad" aka, if balanced, just that 20mm or so to the east ? Based on weight, the 800 will be around 10 kilo fully loaded, with cameras, starsense, etc. I decided to go with an OAG for F/6.3, F/10, and a tube mounted ZWO mini guide for F/2 with Hyperstar. Based on the CGX capacity of 20+ kg, I am well under 50% capacity.

I wanted the CGX for future upgrades - IF I can afford when I retire to that deep dark place.

Cheers,

Lance
Old 07-09-2020, 10:40 PM
glend (Glen)

Lance, I thought I said 20 degrees past the Meridian, not 20mm.