Old 22-04-2008, 11:43 AM
ozstockman (Mike)

40D from Hutech to Australia, how much?

Hi guys,

I am going to update my imaging camera and at this point have two options

1) QHY8 from Theo
2) 40DH from Hutech

The total expenses for a QHY8 camera is quite clear for me but what will be the total for 40DH from Hutech?

I know that the price for it is US$1695 but I'd like to know also how much will be postage and insurance expenses and how much GST and duty expenses I'll be asked to pay.

If someone has bought this camera from Hutech could you please share how much you've paid for it all together.

cheers,

Michael
Old 22-04-2008, 01:57 PM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

I have calculated this to be around $2200-$2400 landed in Aust.
Old 23-04-2008, 08:05 AM
cfranks (Charles)

Mine cost me $2540 AUD in Feb. It is their EOS044L kit and included the 28-135mm lens plus an extra filter to allow terrestial photography. The lens isn't of much use and not recommended. Since the landed cost was more than $1000, I had to get an Import agent and their fee plus the GST was $400.

I haven't used it yet for astro photography so I don't know the benefits of the Hutech mods.

Charles
Old 23-04-2008, 05:48 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Thanks guys. At least I have an idea how much it can be.

Eric, are you going to modify 40D? This camera can be found in local shops for around $1300 AUD and I hope it won't be so expensive to replace a filter.
Old 23-04-2008, 06:33 PM
monoxide

remember that the QHY8 is a cooled dedicated astro cam, if a dslr i was considering was in the same price bracket its a no brainer unless you REALLY need it for happy snaps but cmon..
Old 23-04-2008, 08:35 PM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozstockman View Post
Thanks guys. At least I have an idea how much it can be.

Eric, are you going to modify 40D? This camera can be found in local shops for around $1300 AUD and I hope it won't be so expensive to replace a filter.
The 400/450/40D are much harder to modify due to the auti-dust shake filter. It won't be too expensive as my main reason for modifying DSLR's is to help the community and not to overcharge and profit from. I'll still studying researching but shouldn't be too long.
Old 26-04-2008, 03:11 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxide View Post
remember that the QHY8 is a cooled dedicated astro cam, if a dslr i was considering was in the same price bracket its a no brainer unless you REALLY need it for happy snaps but cmon..
yeah, I am looking at QHY8 too and it seems to be a very good dedicated astro camera but it has one disadvantage for me: too many cables :-)

With 40D there will be only one additional usb cable but considering that I already have a USB hub attached to a mount head it won't create too much mess with cables.
However with QHY8 I'll have to run two more extra cables for powering and cooling.

Or is it just a one power cable for both powering and cooling? I'm not sure as there isn't much info about how this camera is connected and what cables are for.

cheers,

Michael
Old 26-04-2008, 03:17 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyStyles View Post
The 400/450/40D are much harder to modify due to the auti-dust shake filter. It won't be too expensive as my main reason for modifying DSLR's is to help the community and not to overcharge and profit from. I'll still studying researching but shouldn't be too long.
Thanks Eric. I hope you will start doing it soon.
Old 26-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Astrod00d
Lost In SPace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozstockman View Post
yeah, I am looking at QHY8 too and it seems to be a very good dedicated astro camera but it has one disadvantage for me: too many cables :-)
I just ordered a QHY8 so I was concerned about the cables too.
The QHY8 has 3 cables. One is USB. The other 2 are power and they both go the same power supply box called the DC101. Then a single cable runs form the DC101 to a 12V battery or power supply. I intend to hang the DC101 on the scope and run the single power cable down to the ground. So, with the QHY8 I finish up with 2 cables.
With my EOS 400d, I have a USB cable, plus a shutter release cable controlled by DSLR shutter. Both the 400d and 40d need a cable release if you want to use mirror lock-up. Yes, you can do bulb exposures via USB with the 40d but it won't support mirror lock-up. Add a third cable if you want external power for the 400d.

Once I learn how to use the QHY8, I hope for easier operation in the field, more time spent imaging rather than taking darks, and perhaps increased effort post-processing the FITS files on those cloudy nights.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 26-04-2008, 05:13 PM
monoxide

im more concerned with the capability of the camera/quality of data than how many cables are running around the place

i have nothing to do with the people that sell these cameras but i will say that from the results ive seen from some of the QHY8 users, you just wont get that with a dslr (not that you cant get fantastic results with a dslr) i just think that you would be selling yourself short by not getting one of these just for the sake of an extra cable especially when the prices are very similar.