Old 25-07-2014, 02:36 PM
daine042 (Daine)

Solar filters

Hi im thinking of purchasing a glass solar filter for my 6" refractor just not too sure what to get theres a few available at 165mm I.D. and the next size larger was around 180mm. The 165 mm filter will fit quite well if i was to remove the dew shield and the 180mm one would be around 10mm larger than the dew sheild. Can they be used without the dew sheild attached or could it potentially cause damage? Thanks
Old 25-07-2014, 02:55 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

I used a Baader film on my 6" f8 refractor. I bought the version made for a 6" Newt that is the same size as the dewshield, so I taped it on with duct tape.

I now have it in an ATM dewshield for my ATM 6" f12 refractor. Some/a lot say the film is better than the glass, but I have never used glass. Film is a lot cheaper. Myastro shop sells all this stuff.
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0236.jpg)
63.4 KB16 views
Old 25-07-2014, 04:26 PM
astro744

Measure the diameter of your dew shield and then ask the dealer if they could measure the minimum and maximum diameter for the two filters you are interested in. Note there are three nylon screws that can be adjusted to fit onto tubes smaller than the maximum stated. Note the 180mm filter would likely have adjustment down to 160mm.

My #07745 filter has 10mm adjustment (in radius) for each nylon screw and I would think each Orion filter would have the same. I assume you are looking at the #07737 & #07723 filters.

The other thing you could ask your dealer is to measure the diameter of the glass filter section to avoid it hitting the edge of the dew shield if it is too big before you set the screws. You want the aluminium cell to touch the edge of the dew shield although you can have the filter a few mm in front of the edge of the dew shield.
Old 29-07-2014, 09:59 AM
John W (John Wilkinson)

Solar filters

Hi, I have tested glass solar filters and baader astro film filters on a refractor and SCT, and found I get much better images with the film with both types of scope. If you have a refractor the best images are obtained with a Baader herschel wedge (but more costly). Cheers,
John W.
Old 29-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

I've tested Baader film and my Thousand Oaks glass filter on the same 80mm Ed refractor.

I don't like the white image with Baader Film. The Baader eyepiece filter that turns the image yellow, makes things a bit more pleasing. But I've never seen more detail on the sun with the Baader film than I've seen with the Thousand Oaks filter, which delivers a very pleasing yellow orange image.

That said, I know I'm in the minority.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 29-07-2014, 04:30 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

When I look at the ol sun I use my WO binoveiwers RKE 28's with a yellow filter on one and an Orange filter on the other which gives a nice light orange view and the details that bino's give that are pretty much invisible mono.
The Sun bino'ed is very very nice! One day when I have the cash I might get a proper solar scope, but until that day this combo will do.
Matt
Old 29-07-2014, 05:27 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hi Diane , cool another 6 inch refractor owner in the ranks , great scopes aint they ? , so anyway if as astro744 says just make the inside of the filter smaller by sticking that 'Sticky back' draft stopper foam from Bunnings , it comes in rolls and is about 10mm wide and 6-10mm thick , just stick it on the inside of the filter until its a nice snug fit on the dew shield .
Please do as MattT says and stick it down with a few strips of duct tape as well as the last thing you need is that the filter gets knocked/blown off accidently , safety first when viewing the sun .
One more thing , be sure to keep both caps firmly on the finder scope ,,

I have used film , 1000 oaks glass filters in the past and both are very good but now have a Lunt Hershell wedge , this is the bees knees , but very expensive .
Here is a mate enjoying the past partial solar eclipse .

Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (WP_20140429_012 (1400x788).jpg)
175.6 KB20 views
Old 31-07-2014, 04:16 PM
daine042 (Daine)

Thanks guys i think i might go with the less expensive option and get the film. Seems like you get a reasonable image at less than half the price. Whats the astroshop like for turn around times should have just grabbed a sheet while i was at andrews coms yesterday but blew out my budget on a diagonal
Old 31-07-2014, 04:37 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

welcome to amateur astronomy Daine , its fun shopping for astro goddies alright $$$ , if I was you as you want to go the filter way , the glass ones from Bintel are the way to go , these are much stronger and give a really nice yellow/orange colour to the sun and lots of people perfur this to the white/purple image thrown up by the film ( Maylar) filters these film filters are also quite fragile and pin holes can appear if not looked after carefully and dangerous if left to grow bigger .

But on that I once had a Kendrik Maylar film solar filter and the detail seen thru this one equalled my Lunt wedge , it was by far the best I had seen until the Lunt wedge arrived , great filter but I don't think they are available in OZ ? someone might know ?.

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daine042 View Post
Thanks guys i think i might go with the less expensive option and get the film. Seems like you get a reasonable image at less than half the price. Whats the astroshop like for turn around times should have just grabbed a sheet while i was at andrews coms yesterday but blew out my budget on a diagonal
Old 31-07-2014, 06:40 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Quote:
Originally Posted by daine042 View Post
Whats the astroshop like for turn around times should have just grabbed a sheet while i was at andrews coms yesterday but blew out my budget on a diagonal
Myastro shop ships stuff the day you call express overnight post! Can't get better than that. Ring in the morning and if it's in stock it'll be in the post that afternoon.
Flaming brilliant