Old 14-10-2015, 08:13 AM
glend (Glen)

Camera Migration Strategy - DSLR to Mono

I am looking for advice on strategy for migration to Mono CCD. I have looked at options such as selling one of my full spectrum Canon 450Ds to fund (partially) the move to mono CCD. I'd keep the cold finger Canon for dark site use, and migrate to a Mono CCD for home observatory use (B&W only initially) so that I have the opportunity to learn the techniques required in the comfort of home without the added expense of filters, wheels, etc which add costs. Cost is a big problem for me being retired, so I need to spread the cost of the migration across at least a year. Thinking of buying a reasonably good mono CCD and shooting just b&w for the first year, and maybe adding screw on filters as I can afford them; narrow band first then colours, and adding the wheel last.
The alternative would be to sell some of my scopes to fund a faster migration but I am determined to keep them if at all possible. I realise that there are different CCD configurations (chip size, pixel size, etc) that might best suit each of my scopes, but I am looking for one mono CCD that can be used in the two primary imaging scopes with reasonable results; the primary imaging scopes are the RC08 and the 10" imaging Newt, the CCD would need to be a best fit for them (with focal lengths of 1624mm (@f8) and 1250mm (@f5) respectively).

Camera suggestions? I would like to keep the mono CCD initial cost to $3000 AUD from a local supplier. Wishful thinking am I?
Old 14-10-2015, 08:41 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Hi Glen,
I'm looking at this too... how about a qhy9 ... $3000 ... locally, and includes bonus filter wheel in price? http://www.gamaelectronics.com.au/QHY9.html ?

Otherwise if you decide on another camera you could use filter draws to save money on a filter wheel https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...ig-sensor.html

Russ

Russ
Old 14-10-2015, 08:55 AM
glend (Glen)

Thanks Russell, I did look at that and others like the Atik 383L are also in my budget range. I've asked a number of questions relating to this over the last year, and watched the price go up, so decision time. Pixel size, over sampling, under sampling, relationship with seeing, despite my reading still confuses me. I get the impression I should be looking at pixels around 6.0 to 7.0 for my scope focal lengths assuming seeing if 3; the Canon's are 5.2.