Old 09-05-2011, 10:30 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Planetary Nebula NGC 5307

Saturday 07/05/11 trans 8-10 seeing 8-10
16" f 4.5 eyepieces 17 mm type 4 nagler,9mm TMB,6MM Radian,2xbarlow O111,UHC filters
I spent some considerable time trying to tease every detail out of this object.
17mm nagler,x107mag Small blue fuzzy spot at the western point of a faint asterism of stars shaped like a figure seven,averted vision made this object more obvious,as with a lot of planetaries seems to disappear when viewed directly.
O111 filter seemed to not make much difference UHC seemed to make it brighter.
Using a 2x barlow,x215mag some detail was noted,
elongated north to south with three brighter knotts and some dark spaces in between,O111 showed more detail with the bright knotts more defined,UHC was also an improvement on the unfiltered view.
6mm Radian x304 mag showed the spindle shape as seen in Les Dalrymple's article in the May edition of AS&T
6mm Radian plus 2x Barlow x604 mag +O111 filter,
even though fuzzy a lot more detail was observed with the spindle shape confirmed, with a fourth nebulas spot seen on the north western edge and the dark spaces more pronounced
UHC also helped .
An image of approximately what I observed can be seen here
I had attempted to observe this object on the sixth of this month but the seeing was not that great and I failed to find it as in low mag it is star like.
Cheers
PS A dark hood also helped to get the maximum detail out of the object.

Last edited by astroron; 09-05-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Great to see you had a good night on Saturday. It is good to see what a bit of time and tenancy is rewarded with. Thanks for the report. May I ask what lead you to this object??
Cheers
Zub.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:00 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenel View Post
Great to see you had a good night on Saturday. It is good to see what a bit of time and tenancy is rewarded with. Thanks for the report. May I ask what lead you to this object??
Cheers
Zub.
Thanks Wes
Les Dalrymple's Article in May Edition of AS&T
I was intrigued as to seeing if I could see the shape in the image on page 75.
Paddy has also done an observation in his report on Centaurus Here.
Cheers
Old 09-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Lismore Bloke (Paul)
Ad astra per aspera

Hi Ron,

Thanks for an excellent report on 5307. It shows just what can be done with a really fine observing technique. You've done a great job of picking out the inner details of the PN that a more rushed observation might have missed. It really is worth taking the time to look at some objects (PN's in particular) with a variety of eyepieces with both O-III and UHC filters. It also points out the desirability of having both O-III and UHC for visual observers of PN's and other nebulae.

Paul.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:27 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lismore Bloke View Post
Hi Ron,

Thanks for an excellent report on 5307. It shows just what can be done with a really fine observing technique. You've done a great job of picking out the inner details of the PN that a more rushed observation might have missed. It really is worth taking the time to look at some objects (PN's in particular) with a variety of eyepieces with both O-III and UHC filters. It also points out the desirability of having both O-III and UHC for visual observers of PN's and other nebulae.

Paul.
Thanks Paul, this is one object that I was detirmined to get as much detail as I could, so spent heaps of time on it
Old 09-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Wow Ron, what a great Report!

Crickey- 604X, dark skies AND a dark hood required!

I enjoyed the tour you gave using the different magnifications and filters used and I also liked how you put a link to a pic of what it looked like
I googled some images and they were all fuzzy, including the Wikki link. So I had to end up going to the hubble site for it, and it's still a bit hazy .

What a testament to both yourself and Paddy's observing skills. Aye, a very large scope helps those skills too. And it sure helped Hubble.

I'm beginning to realise more and more why PN's aren't recommended for beginners. Some of them are easy and quite awesome for sure, but some *#@!!&*#@!.... all I can say is lucky we observe solo.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:24 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Wow Ron, what a great Report!

Crickey- 604X, dark skies AND a dark hood required!

I enjoyed the tour you gave using the different magnifications and filters used and I also liked how you put a link to a pic of what it looked like
I googled some images and they were all fuzzy, including the Wikki link. So I had to end up going to the hubble site for it, and it's still a bit hazy .

What a testament to both yourself and Paddy's observing skills. Aye, a very large scope helps those skills too. And it sure helped Hubble.

I'm beginning to realise more and more why PN's aren't recommended for beginners. Some of them are easy and quite awesome for sure, but some *#@!!&*#@!.... all I can say is lucky we observe solo.
Thanks Suzy, I think I may find some more funny shaped planetary nebula to test my observing skills on
Ghost of Jupiter maybe
It looks like I may have to get a 3-4mm eyepiece to get more magnification to squeeze even more detail out of these elusive little devils
Cheers
Old 09-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Fantastic report Ron. Great to see how much detail you were able to tease out. Sounds like we both saw those knots, but I think I have to go back with a hood to see if I can pick out the spiral detail. Well done!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:58 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Thanks for the interesting report Ron. I had a look on the 25/4 but the best I could do was see come elongation at 200x. Could get more power, tried to barlow my 13mm for 226x and it was mushy. At 200x using a 7.5mm plossl that I have could just get hints of possible structure but nothing definite.

Malcolm
Old 09-05-2011, 08:41 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Fantastic report Ron. Great to see how much detail you were able to tease out. Sounds like we both saw those knots, but I think I have to go back with a hood to see if I can pick out the spiral detail. Well done!
Thanks Paddy,The knotts where very pronounced in moments of very good seeing, and I had been under the hood for quite some time
the spindle shape came into view at these moments with a hint of nebulosity making it seem like the picture
the fourth knott came and went but the three brightest ones where always visible under High mag.
Cheers
Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Thanks for the interesting report Ron. I had a look on the 25/4 but the best I could do was see come elongation at 200x. Could get more power, tried to barlow my 13mm for 226x and it was mushy. At 200x using a 7.5mm plossl that I have could just get hints of possible structure but nothing definite.

Malcolm
Thanks Malcolm, the sky was particularly good that night so was able to use very high mag for most of the time
what magnitude sky do you have Mine are regularly 6.5 or better plus using a 16" scope does help a bit
Love your reports by the way
Cheers
Old 09-05-2011, 09:33 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Great Obserrvation Ron!

Hi All,

Great obserevation Ron an much enjoyed reading your report.

Yes, very high magnification is required to tease out some detail in this wonderful little bi-polar PNe that really tolerates high magnification well, but only if the seeing is up to the job.

As luck would have it, I also spent about a 1/2 hour on it on Saturday night up at Mudgee where we had a very good sky transparency wise, but excellent seeing. I was able to use quite high magnification on Saturn (x371) with a pretty stable image and used x462 and x634 on NGC 5307.

I was able to repeat my earlier observation of it and saw slightly patchy and lumpy off-set "parentheses" with a lower surface brightness nebula between the them. Besides being simply a nice object, it was part of a talk I gave at the Mudgee star-party along observing notes on a collection of other bi-polar onjects -- many of which were PNe so I went and looked at all of them that I mentioned in my talk.

Three others also took a look and confirmed what I could see.

Still absolutely in love with NGC 5189 -- the most sensational PNe in the southern sky! Spent another 1/2 hr gawking at it too!

Oh ... and NGC 6445 wow!

Best,

Les D
Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Thanks Malcolm, the sky was particularly good that night so was able to use very high mag for most of the time
what magnitude sky do you have Mine are regularly 6.5 or better plus using a 16" scope does help a bit
Love your reports by the way
Cheers
Glad you like the reports Ron. I don't actually have a clue how to go about rating the sky here, pretty abysmal due to LP is about it. On really good nights it can be OK after 11pm, but that is only relative to how it was before.

Malcolm
Old 09-05-2011, 09:57 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Glad you like the reports Ron. I don't actually have a clue how to go about rating the sky here, pretty abysmal due to LP is about it. On really good nights it can be OK after 11pm, but that is only relative to how it was before.

Malcolm
Malcolm I just look for the faintes star I can find with the naked eye and judge the sky accordingly.
In a dark sky location stars to 6.5 mag should be seen on a reasonably good night
Cheers
Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi All,

Great obserevation Ron an much enjoyed reading your report.

Yes, very high magnification is required to tease out some detail in this wonderful little bi-polar PNe that really tolerates high magnification well, but only if the seeing is up to the job.

As luck would have it, I also spent about a 1/2 hour on it on Saturday night up at Mudgee where we had a very good sky transparency wise, but excellent seeing. I was able to use quite high magnification on Saturn (x371) with a pretty stable image and used x462 and x634 on NGC 5307.

I was able to repeat my earlier observation of it and saw slightly patchy and lumpy off-set "parentheses" with a lower surface brightness nebula between the them. Besides being simply a nice object, it was part of a talk I gave at the Mudgee star-party along observing notes on a collection of other bi-polar onjects -- many of which were PNe so I went and looked at all of them that I mentioned in my talk.

Three others also took a look and confirmed what I could see.

Still absolutely in love with NGC 5189 -- the most sensational PNe in the southern sky! Spent another 1/2 hr gawking at it too!

Oh ... and NGC 6445 wow!

Best,

Les D
Thanks Les
I am glad you too got some good observing in
NGC 5189 is a big favourite of mine
NGC 6455 is now on the list for future observation
Cheers