Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 02-05-2018, 06:58 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
thanks for ChrisV pointing me to this thread. i just got a ASI071 and together with a brand new RASA 11" i am looking forward to some photon destruction. i have a hell of a lot to learn, and learn to drive a ZWO ASI071
looking forward to some images David. With such a fast scope, suggest setting the gain at 0 and taking subs at around a minute (or less depending on sky). No point in using higher gain unless you are aiming for some very short-sub lucky imaging. Cheers Ray
Old 02-05-2018, 10:59 AM
h0ughy (David)

Might do some unguided subs and test it
Old 11-05-2018, 08:14 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
looking forward to some images David. With such a fast scope, suggest setting the gain at 0 and taking subs at around a minute (or less depending on sky). No point in using higher gain unless you are aiming for some very short-sub lucky imaging. Cheers Ray
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=166787 took your advice - one minute exposures x 5 gain 0
Old 11-05-2018, 09:49 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=166787 took your advice - one minute exposures x 5 gain 0
thanks very much for the info Dave. gosh that looks amazing for such a short total exposure. Looking forward to you getting well and posting something taken over an hour or two. Cheers Ray
Old 12-05-2018, 08:56 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
thanks very much for the info Dave. gosh that looks amazing for such a short total exposure. Looking forward to you getting well and posting something taken over an hour or two. Cheers Ray
OK well using your table as a guide it's a sixty seconds shot which in poor sky conditions would be equivalent to a five minutes shot at gain 0. So therefore 5min worth would be the same as 30min at f7 roughly or am I not in the ballpark
Old 12-05-2018, 12:03 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
OK well using your table as a guide it's a sixty seconds shot which in poor sky conditions would be equivalent to a five minutes shot at gain 0. So therefore 5min worth would be the same as 30min at f7 roughly or am I not in the ballpark
Not quite sure that I understand the question Dave, but for certain, your scope is definitely very fast.

Take for example the mag 21 table at gain 0. Your scope will need a bit over 35 seconds and an f7 scope will need 7 minutes per sub to get to the same result. At f2.2, your scope puts photons into the pixels at about 10x the rate of an f7 scope.

Last edited by Shiraz; 13-05-2018 at 09:23 AM.