Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 3.09 average.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:20 AM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Star View Post

I'm kinda new to all of this, but the stars and the sky is so interesting and I want to learn all I can.....so I'll leave my e-mail and anyone who wants to help me out with any useful info feel free.....another thing I want to start a career in astronomy...if anyone could give me some pointers AWESOME!!!!
Hi Kay Star, just to give you a bit of encouragement, you have been a member of this forum longer than me, so take heart. I have two lines of thought regarding your post.

The first being you are in the right place to learn all you will ever need to know about astronomy. The second thought about a career would IMHO involve formal education, as much as passion and desire are powerful tools, I suspect to become a professional astronomer you would need a good deal of formal education.

At the very least I suspect you would need to align yourself with an academic at a Uni. I am sure there have been people who actually got into astronomy and earn a good living from it without classic training, but I also suspect that they were probably a friend of a friend.

As I say, these are just a few random thoughts, never let mine or anyone elses opinion ever stop you from your dream.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:30 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Stumbled across this site. It is a bit biased toward the northern hemisphere but the charts are VERY handy.

Cheers
Old 11-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Mr. Subatomic

Hey Guys,

About the Cloudy Nights Mag-7 Star Atlas Project, I was wondering what map the Southern Hemisphere starts on. I'm guessing all the maps showing declination 0 degrees and below show southern skies (from chart 8), but am I right about this?

Also, I understand that stars with a horizontal line running through them are double stars, but what do the circles represent. I'm guessing they represent deep sky objects, but is there a distincion between galaxies, nebulae, clusters, etc.?

By the way, it's a great atlas, I've made a nice portfolio with it!

Thanks!
Old 28-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Stevo69
I have a To-Do List?

I am using 3 types of charts in the field, in order of resolution:
  1. AAVSO's constellation charts (which I also use for variable stars).
  2. Andrew Johnson's Mag-7 Star Atlas's (from Cloudy Nights).
  3. Taki's excellent 8.5 magnitude charts.
Because I no longer have a 'scope, just bino's these charts are perfect for me. All are printed and in those clear plastic covers.
I keep my good charts (Tirion's and a 40 year old copy of Norton's, indoors).

hoo roo

Last edited by Stevo69; 28-06-2007 at 08:54 PM. Reason: move intro/welcome to Beginners section.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Kat

Thanks

Thanks for the info of the Evening Sky Map, have just downloaded Septembers and am looking forward to tonight to have a look at the sky with my kids. We homeschool and are presently using Karen Fullbrights book on Astronomy. Anyone with any good ideas to bring Astronomy to life let me know. Thanks
Old 05-09-2007, 05:39 PM
你B
Its only a column of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Subatomic View Post
Hey Guys,

About the Cloudy Nights Mag-7 Star Atlas Project, I was wondering what map the Southern Hemisphere starts on. I'm guessing all the maps showing declination 0 degrees and below show southern skies (from chart 8), but am I right about this?

Also, I understand that stars with a horizontal line running through them are double stars, but what do the circles represent. I'm guessing they represent deep sky objects, but is there a distincion between galaxies, nebulae, clusters, etc.?

By the way, it's a great atlas, I've made a nice portfolio with it!

Thanks!
There's a second version, which is in full colour and contains different symbols for galaxies, nebulae, clusters etc. It also shows the milky way as a series of toned shading. It contains 21 charts and is available as an 18MB PDF file. Link http://www.archive.org/details/Mag_7_Star_Atlas
Old 16-04-2008, 12:38 PM
mercedes_sl1970

Hi everyone.

Here's a 3 part star atlas by Jose Torres - apologies if this is linked elsewhere

It's an impressive piece of work. Here's the link - click on the TriAtlas Project link in the top frame:
http://www.uv.es/jrtorres/

Andrew
Old 16-04-2008, 01:12 PM
你B

wow that's a hell of an atlas right there! Thanks for the link. If my printer wasn't a POS, I'd print that thing in a second.

-stars to mag 12.6
-1200 Planetary nebulae
-1800 open clusters
-37,000 galaxies to mag 15.5
-all globular clusters
-hundreds of quasars

Sound's like a deep sky lover's delight.
Old 16-04-2008, 01:36 PM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

I had a play with that Torres atlas a while ago - there is a ton of stuff to download/print. I found it was too dense/detailed when printed onto A4.
Old 16-04-2008, 03:19 PM
你B

how much would it cost to print and laminate 580 pages at a decent priinting place?

Seriously, I must have this atlas. As a deep sky nut, this is a dream come true.
Old 19-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Stevo69
I have a To-Do List?

Wow, I would like to get back into deep Sky stuff when the dob is complete. My only serious charts are Sky Atlas 2000 (packed away in a box somewhere).

I have downloaded them and may get a quote from the local printers to have them all printed on A3. I might get some test pages done first.
Old 20-04-2008, 05:29 PM
你B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo69 View Post
I have downloaded them and may get a quote from the local printers to have them all printed on A3. I might get some test pages done first.
If you're successfull, please please let me know! That thing looks like its even more comprehensive than the MSA!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:46 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes_sl1970 View Post
Hi everyone.

Here's a 3 part star atlas by Jose Torres - apologies if this is linked elsewhere

It's an impressive piece of work. Here's the link - click on the TriAtlas Project link in the top frame:
http://www.uv.es/jrtorres/

Andrew
I was just about to recommend this Atlas - it's the best atlas available, at least in terms of the number of objects. I never bought the MSA, but I do have a copy of Uranometria 2000.

Dave

PS On a side note, original Bayer Uranometria pages do appear from time to time on EBay etc, but are VERY expensive, usually 3 or 4 grand US per page/spread, and not in the best of conditions.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 PM
AussieAaron (Aaron)
Its a Starry Starry Night

Hey Guys, Im only new to this forum and to Astronomy so this Atlas is going to do me alot of good Thanks Heaps, Aaron
Old 06-05-2009, 10:21 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Aaron, don't forget Cart de ciels and Stellarium. If you're on the Linux platform, kstars is also worth a look.

You can actually download the star chart making software and make your own charts to your own desire - simply tell the chart making software what catalogues to use, what limiting magnifications, format/size etc etc. I have a link somewhere to the software, I'd have to find it.

Dave
Old 07-05-2009, 08:32 AM
AussieAaron (Aaron)

Dave, Wow, That sounds awesome, That would do me alot of good, You know its a big surprise, Last time i was really into all this i had my own little white scope and that was it, Now these great huge telescopes at great prices and not to mention all this computer software to help you along and well its just amazing, I cant wait to get in and learn everything.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:48 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

When I get home, I'll find the link and post :-)

Dave
Old 07-05-2009, 01:12 PM
AussieAaron (Aaron)

Thanks Dave, Your a Champion, Aaron
Old 07-05-2009, 08:19 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Here you go Aaron:

http://pp3.sourceforge.net/

:-) Found it eventually.

Some of you might like the Messier finder charts as well: